Question on Cams

Ninja K

Two Stroke
I've been looking into some motor upgrades and I always see Cams as a good upgrade. I understand how they work but what makes certain cams "better" than others and how do they produce more performance?

Bonafide

NBR founder
I've been looking into some motor upgrades and I always see Cams as a good upgrade. I understand how they work but what makes certain cams "better" than others and how do they produce more performance?

well .. if you understand how a Camshaft works, as in it opens the valves, then understanding the timing, how far, and duration they open the valves shouldnt be a stretch .. IOW, it's magic.

roadie

Scooter
Hmmm, my local shop is a British Customs dealer and I would prefer to go through the shop. Still a good way to go? Looking for more low and midrange power on my 2006 thrux.

steamfitter

Two Stroke
when going to the 813 cams, what all is involved? specifically, is there any motor mods that need to be done aside from swapping cams? also, what kind of perfomance enhancement can be realized with pod filters and nark mods alone with the cams? -keith

strokerlmt

when going to the 813 cams, what all is involved? specifically, is there any motor mods that need to be done aside from swapping cams? also, what kind of perfomance enhancement can be realized with pod filters and nark mods alone with the cams? -keith

Call Carlos at TPUSA www.southbaytriumph.com and talk to him.
Matt Capri and Carlos are very knowledgeable about the bonneville engines. I have 813 cams....don't listen to me I know shit...listen to the guy that installed my 813's.
LMT

steamfitter

Two Stroke
i can do that stroker. just thought it better to ask here since i wasn't necessarily in the market at the moment. hate to call carlos and bug him on the subject for just curiosity's sake. -keith

Bonafide

NBR founder
i can do that stroker. just thought it better to ask here since i wasn't necessarily in the market at the moment. hate to call carlos and bug him on the subject for just curiosity's sake. -keith

You do know TPUSA has their own Vendor area on this forum? I'm sure Carlos would explain what would be the best choices to make for a performance package that would compliment/necessary for a Cam upgrade. Such as; valve springs, larger intakes, carbs, head porting, exhaust, etc.