GeoDiablo

Two Stroke
pilcrow.jpg

just sayin' :)

Bigted

Two Stroke
need: better brakes: dump the sliding calipers
better suspension, cartridge?

a bit more HP: higher compression or wilder cams?
could be done at not much additional $

I so agree. I would love to be able to buy an air-cooled Triumph that looked like a Bonneville but had a 975-995cc's motor, dual front brakes, cartridge front end and a redesign of how the engine looks preferably one that looks a little more like the modern Norton engine or the Kawasaki W-800 engine (but without the bevel), both engines which look a little more refined then the 865 IMHO.

In short if they could give me one that looked like either of these two bikes I'd be very happy indeed: (edit: bottom one won't expand for some reason but it's Pepe's Version 8 Bonnie/Thrux as found at: http://www.triumphbikes.de/triumph-bonneville-ver8.html )

Attachments

• CNW06.jpg
    CNW06.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaaverynice.jpg
    aaaaaverynice.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
they can't evolve... they are too slow.. All this hand wringing. Triumph is selling a ton of them and no one is sweating about it as they cash our checks.

Sometimes i think the slogan should be " Bonneville ... outsells all faster lighter cheaper motorcycles. "

Ujm

There is a substantial unsatisfied demand for the UJM type with all the modern technological improvements. Able to cruise comfortably without being a heavy cruiser; responsive handling, without the discomfort of the cafe' ergos. Triumph has come the closest to meeting that demand, hence, their success with the classic line.

Bigted

Two Stroke
There is a substantial unsatisfied demand for the UJM type with all the modern technological improvements. Able to cruise comfortably without being a heavy cruiser; responsive handling, without the discomfort of the cafe' ergos. Triumph has come the closest to meeting that demand, hence, their success with the classic line.

I really think that is the case ie: UJM unsatisified demand. I think Kawasaki's earlier W-650 introduction failed due to inauspicious timing (and a slightly too small engine) because of the big jump in popularity at that time of the heavy Cruiser type, Harleys and the continuing demand for racer boy sport bikes, all 3 of which have since waned quite a bit in popularity IMHO.

That popularity rise seems to have been driven by new riders many of whom now know the difference and would now like to get a sensible, comfortable bike.

Because the Kawi W-650 failed first time out everyone now points to that case as proof that a UJM standard "classic" type can't sell in North America, more's the pity. Evidence of this is Honda's (stupid) refusal to bring the new CB-1100 over which looks to be the epitomy of modern, standard UJM.

Last edited:

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Two Dogs- Why don't you tell us how you *really* feel? :)

Just a thought, would rather be talking about this sort of stuff as a group at a pub in the hills after a good ride, absolutely perfect 25 deg c winter days here at the moment.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Ubm

Excuse me - its a UBM = Universal British Motorcycle.

Please use the correct acronym. But - good point.+1

I have some friends with heavy cruisers and they suffer from the weight and vibes and ergonomics. Another friend has a sport bike and when we went for spin last week he kept saying it was the longest ride he's ever done - all of 120 miles! So, yeah I certainly buy your point about the sensible bike.

BigTed - that Norton is the shiz. Man that beautiful.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
That bike is so tasty. When I see things like that it makes me want to go break down my bike for a redo. No good!

Bigted

Two Stroke
Excuse me - its a UBM = Universal British Motorcycle.

Please use the correct acronym. But - good point.+1

I have some friends with heavy cruisers and they suffer from the weight and vibes and ergonomics. Another friend has a sport bike and when we went for spin last week he kept saying it was the longest ride he's ever done - all of 120 miles! So, yeah I certainly buy your point about the sensible bike.

BigTed - that Norton is the shiz. Man that beautiful.

Sal not sure what ya mean, I thought the poster was decrying the non-existence of a modern retro ujm, we already have the ubm = Bonneville.

Anyhoo, more purdiness: Ridge's Bonneville and a Honda 500tt.

Attachments

• T100-Bonneville-1 owned by RIDGE.jpg
    T100-Bonneville-1 owned by RIDGE.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • GB500tt.jpg
    GB500tt.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0

Bigted

Two Stroke
A lot goin on here this bike really speak to me

heckumbau%20alublinker%20cateye%20%2000.jpg

Yes indeedy. I'd like to know what it is exactly that he did to his pipes inorder to get rid of the Bonnie kink, I guess he simply cut a bit off? or maybe they're Thruxton pipes (would that work?) I'd like to do the same to my pipes. Whatya think?
I especially like his polished aluminum covers and blacked out jugs too.