crazy tire story

neuroboy

750cc
a friend of mine (an FZ6 owner) was telling me about this thread the other day. It's a crazy story about the Michelin Pilot Road 3 and total breakdown due to high temperatures, the ensuing data collection on the part of the rider who could be dead right now, and the subsequent response/non-response from Michelin.

I don't think you can even get these tires for the modern classics, but this is a cautionary tale. The good stuff starts on the 8th page of the thread.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html

Yep, that thread has gone viral on a lot of motorcycle forums.

I used to be a Michelin Fan but after seeing how they treat their customers and easily put blame on the customer when you can clearly see its a manufacture defect it looks like I will no longer buy Michelin. Plus I am aware of several recalls they've had on tires especially their Pilot Powers and Pilot Power 2CTs of the past.

When I also read about the Power Pures and how they are significantly lighter than the previous Pilot Powers I was at a store that carried both and we measured the weight of both (180 rear) tires on an accurate scale (to really compare and see if the claim is true) and the Power Pures were actually heavier than the Pilot Powers.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Wow. Read it thru from page 8 to the end. I definitely think that kind of daily riding would put stress on your tires. Now we won't know what happened since the thread is closed.... Crap!

neuroboy

750cc
yeah, my buddy said the admins there are can be pretty conservative in their management of the board. . . kinda like why we're all over here. Heh.

dschief

750cc
I lost faith in Michelin once Bridgestone started kicking their asses all over the F1 and MGP tracks. It was like they just gave up. Oh shit, they are French, aren't they!?!