Inside of a 10-year old tank

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Attached are pictures of the inside of the right side of a 2001 tank.
The rust around the top seems minimal to me.
Since the petcock/reserve is on the left side of the tank (not pictured), you can understand how a gallon of gas could easily be "trapped" on the right side.
The breather/overflow tube is clearly visible in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th photos.
The 3rd picture shows the two studs to which the tank emblem is screwed.

Attachments

• 2001 Bonneville tank A.jpg
    2001 Bonneville tank A.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 2001 Bonneville tank B.jpg
    2001 Bonneville tank B.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 2001 Bonneville tank C.jpg
    2001 Bonneville tank C.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2001 Bonneville tank D.jpg
    2001 Bonneville tank D.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2001 Bonneville tank E.jpg
    2001 Bonneville tank E.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

D9

Vendor
Very interesting pics! Surprising how little space there really is for fuel! :d

Greg... are you doing something custom...? :D

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Greg... are you doing something custom...? :D

Nope, nothing custom, Seth. This became a spare tank when I installed the black and chrome one. Alas, it fell off the shelf and received a softball size dent. Now it's a piece of "art" hanging on my garage wall...cool!

Last edited:

Skeeter

Rocker
ive been sayin the trump tanks need another petcock on the right side or a tube goin over to the other side, i knew there was a gas stuck on the right side but didnt relize it was much.

strokerlmt

ive been sayin the trump tanks need another petcock on the right side or a tube goin over to the other side, i knew there was a gas stuck on the right side but didnt relize it was much.

the norman hyde tanks have two. I have them joined and I can suck vapor out of the 5 gallon tank.
LMT

koifarm

Hooligan

+10 on that one Skeeter....used to have two...

koifarm

Hooligan
Just thinking about it , it can't be all that difficult to install a petcock on the RH side...anyone know a good supplier?

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Nice cut-a-way gas tank. Glad you had another tank ya could use.
I guess y'all with petcocks(carbs) need to either stop and lay the bike over to re-splash your reserve side if it ever runs dry, or just corner a whole lot more harder in the right direction for that centrifugal effect!

bonZa

Street Tracker
the corrossion looks like surface rust due to condensation. would have thought the internals would have been coated with something to prevent rust.

the later tanks are a little different and dip down lower at the back more, so all fuel from the right side flows to the left, so when you run out you really have none left. there is no chance of having a "reserve" that you could slosh over

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Nope, nothing custom, Seth. This became a spare tank when I installed the black and chrome one. Alas, it fell off the shelf and received a softball size dent. Now it's a piece of "art" hanging on my garage wall...cool!

Let's see a pic of it on your wall. I have a second tank and my spare bars just fell out of my rafters and onto my tank. Might want to follow suit :up:

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Let's see a pic of it on your wall. I have a second tank and my spare bars just fell out of my rafters and onto my tank. Might want to follow suit :up:

Here you go. (With shameless plug for back-to-back NCAA Baseball champion Gamecocks!)

Attachments

• garage wall.jpg
    garage wall.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • garage wall2.jpg
    garage wall2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0