Gidday from BrisVegas

Hi everyone

I'm Don from Brisbane, Australia. I've been in Bris just over two years, and live near the Bay at Lota. Am originally from down near Grafton NSW and before Bris lived in Maitland and worked in the mines further up the Hunter Valley near Muswellbrook for around 14 years.

Have just bought my first Trumpy, an 09 Bonneville SE, first registered in November 09 so only 18 months and about 3700km on it and I believe well looked after at that, it's brand new as far as I'm concerned. I reckon it's a bloody ripper of a bike.

I'm interested in hooking up with other riders especially Bonny riders to join in on rides and find out more about the bike as I'd like to do some work on it myself, have not much experience working on bikes but am interested in learning and have the Haynes 01-07 manual which should help even though my bike is an 09. I picked it up today from Bangalow NSW and cruised back to Brissy with a stop at Elanora to have a cuppa at my Auntie & Uncle's place there. Great fun zipping in and out around the traffic on the M1, well had to or would have died of boredom just chundering along on the freeway.

Bike came with a few extras on it, these are leather panniers, king and queen seat and grab rail - grab rail has been sent away as the chrome is cracking & peeling which is a bit disappointing, this was the second one as previous owner had same problem and got it replaced once already - bike was looked after and garaged so I'm thinking either a bad batch of chrome or just a crappy product, anyone else seen this?

Am keen to do a few mods/upgrades as I get a bit more experience and confidence with the bike. I have done a little bit of research and it seems Dominator pipes and airbox and air injection mods might be a good one to take up first as I am keen on a bit more of that Triumph sound and would like to take some of the shackles off the engine. Any advice or opinions?

Well thanks and cheerio
Don

mark66

TT Racer
Welcome from the east coast of the U.S.
My Bonnie's an '07 and the first thing I did over our winter here, got the bike in late October, was to get the Dominator Sports and remove the airbox. Great mod and the bike runs and sounds nice. And after that, who knows how far you care to go......have fun and congrats on your new bike.

78gold

Two Stroke
Welcome

Welcome,
Was up at Belford near Maitland a couple of weeks ago on the bonnie. Got a short ride in on Sat then rained all weekend so we just drank and talked and drank.

Mine is a 2007 model with carbs. Lot of bits and info on net so you should be able to do most basic stuff yourself.

P4260069.jpg

Hope that worked, me packed up ready for Belford last year, havnt downloaded any from this year yet.

You will love the bonnie, I have.
All the best Nigel

tezza

Street Tracker
Welcome,there is a lot of Ozzies here and a few boys here from Brissy and the gold and sunshine coast.

ThruxtonSE

Scooter
Don - welcome!! Sounds like a nice Bonnie you've got yourself.

Poor quality chrome work on the later bikes is not uncommon. As you're near the water - you've really got to keep an eye on it.

If you get up to the Northside, let me know and we'll catch-up for a coffee and ride. I do all my bike maintenance & mods myself (as most on here do). If you need a hand, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Marcel

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Welcome to the forum Don from Rod in the Newcastle area.
I'm sure you'll grow to love the Bonneville as much as we all do.

I have the 2002 Centennial T100 which I've slightly Thruxtonised. I ride solo mostly but on the odd occasion my wife jumps on the back, I swap back to the stock seat. I've attached a pic of my bike parked on the road through King Edward Park overlooking Newcastle Beach and the Baths. No doubt you'll be familiar with the area having lived at Maitland.

Will you be going to the State of Origin on Wednesday night or are you a Union man thru and thru?
017-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

Welcome from the east coast of the U.S.
My Bonnie's an '07 and the first thing I did over our winter here, got the bike in late October, was to get the Dominator Sports and remove the airbox. Great mod and the bike runs and sounds nice. And after that, who knows how far you care to go......have fun and congrats on your new bike.
Thanks for the welcome Mark - fun all the way, good to hear that you are happy with the mod and looking at some of the great bikes on the forums I reckon you're right the sky's the limit, Don

Welcome,
Was up at Belford near Maitland a couple of weeks ago on the bonnie. Got a short ride in on Sat then rained all weekend so we just drank and talked and drank.

Mine is a 2007 model with carbs. Lot of bits and info on net so you should be able to do most basic stuff yourself.

P4260069.jpg

Hope that worked, me packed up ready for Belford last year, havnt downloaded any from this year yet.

You will love the bonnie, I have.
All the best Nigel
Hey Nigel, thanks, your Bonnie looks great and all ready for action. Hey, mate, did you ever work at BCC running the blasting crew? That would be a huge coincidence if that's you. My memories of Belford aren't anywhere near as good as yours, I used to go through there every day going to and from work - bored shitless going up and down the highway & getting caught behind bdoubles at the old bends, watching the boys in blue catching all the out of towners at the bottom of the hill after the new lanes were put in, and watching cages running up each others arses coming flat out south over the hill into Branxton just after Black Creek after the traffic lights got put in at Branxton - having a drink and yarn sounds heaps better. Catch ya around, Don.

Welcome,there is a lot of Ozzies here and a few boys here from Brissy and the gold and sunshine coast.
Thanks Tezza, I'm looking forward to meeting more Bonnie riders around Brissy & up through the Sunny Coast. I reckon a fair few Bonnie riders must be using the forums, what a great way of linking people up, I'm gonna enjoy it around here. See ya around the traps, Don.

Don - welcome!! Sounds like a nice Bonnie you've got yourself.

Poor quality chrome work on the later bikes is not uncommon. As you're near the water - you've really got to keep an eye on it.

If you get up to the Northside, let me know and we'll catch-up for a coffee and ride. I do all my bike maintenance & mods myself (as most on here do). If you need a hand, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Marcel
Marcel, thanks for the welcome.

I've gotta say, I love my Bonnie, I only picked it up on Saturday, and it is great, puts a big smile on my face like no other bike and I can't shut up about it. I first sat on a Bonnie SE at the Gold Coast bike show, I think it was the 2009 show or maybe 2008, can't remember exactly. I just really liked the look of it and everything felt like it was in exactly the right place like no other bike I've sat on (I'm six foot tall, but only when I'm on the second rung of a ladder). I thought, I'll have one of these and one day an now I've got one. You bewdy.

Very good point about the salt, Bonnie sleeps in the garage under the house and I do cruise up and down the esplanade because it's fun and a great view, so will need to keep the salt off it - the car lives outside and gets covered in crap when the wind blows. I might cover the Bonnie I think, as the wind whistles through under the house now and then.

Your Thruxton photo is tops - what a great looking bike you have there, well done. I'll get my act together and get a photo of my bike up soon. A catchup is a great idea, if I'm going Northside I'll let you know, likewise if you are down this way do give me a shout. I'll keep an eye out for you on your bike as well, can't miss it, it really is distinctive and a stand out I reckon. I might head down to the Laverda show at Cleveland in a couple of weeks if nothing else comes up so will keep an eye out for other Triumphs.

Thanks for the offer of help with the bike, any help or advice is great and always appreciated.

Cheers, Don.

Welcome to the forum Don from Rod in the Newcastle area.
I'm sure you'll grow to love the Bonneville as much as we all do.

I have the 2002 Centennial T100 which I've slightly Thruxtonised. I ride solo mostly but on the odd occasion my wife jumps on the back, I swap back to the stock seat. I've attached a pic of my bike parked on the road through King Edward Park overlooking Newcastle Beach and the Baths. No doubt you'll be familiar with the area having lived at Maitland.

Will you be going to the State of Origin on Wednesday night or are you a Union man thru and thru?
017-1.jpg

013-1.jpg
Hi Rod, great to hear from a Novocastrian, Newcastle is the best. Your bike looks verrrry tidy, the seat cowl looks great and really suits the bike. The forks look really good and to my untrained eye it all works together, great job. Your photos take me back, the best thing about Newy, I reckon, is that everything revolves around the beaches.

When I first lived in the Hunter back in the mid 90s I was in Newy and lived in a unit on the corner of Scott St & Zaara St (the old Carlton building). It was a brilliant spot to live and could see both Nobbys & Newcastle beach from the balcony so enjoyed your photos plenty. I always copped plenty of shit from my mates as apparently Zaara St is famous to all Novocastrians because it once had a notorious brothel at about the same spot as where the ice cream shop is.

I like league and union, grew up with both. My old bones only play touch footy now though but tonight we drew one all with a bunch of young fellas who are leading our comp, which just goes to show yet again that experience and cunning can equal youth and speed. Nearly killed me, but I've survived to play again. Looking forward to the State of Origin and have an appointment with my youngest brother at the Pineapple Hotel in Woollongabba, we'll stir em up and see how far we can push some pissed Qlders - again. It's all good fun, win or lose.

78gold

Two Stroke
Belford

No wasnt me at BCC.
I have a couple of mates up that way and a few guys from a chopper club I am in are there as well.

Traffic is no better, the round abouts at Maitland are still as deadly as ever.

Bike doesnt look too much like that anymore, Just got some LSL reaset for her and have fitted a few other bits. Looking at maybe some adjustable clip-ons to tidy front up.

If I get up there on the bike again I will post here and maybe catch up for a drink with some of our Northern Brethren.

Till then ride safe.:cheers:

ThruxtonSE

Scooter
Don,

Assuming that the weather is fine, I'll be heading to the Laverda show on 17 July - it's a good day out. If you're intersted, we could meet-up for a coffee and ride in together.

Cheers,

Marcel

Grassy53

Scooter
Laverda concourse postponed

Just checked the address of the clevland show grounds and found the show is postponed because of the weather
Rob