Oil Question

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Ok, there must be a million threads about oil choice, but when I try searching for 'oil' it never returns any results, so I apologise for starting another oil thread.

I'm about to carry out my first oil change and had a look at the manual that states:

'All Triumph engines must be filled with a 15w/50 semi synthetic or fully synthetic motorcycle engine oil which meets API SG (or higher) AND JSO MA specification'

Now that's all well and good, but in laymans terms, what does that mean to me?

What oil should I be using on my beloved 2004 T100 to ensure it gets the best possible care?

All thoughts welcomed...

koifarm

Hooligan
Best oil I can think of, Rotella Synthetic, Wal mart, it takes one gallon for a change with filter.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Not being a wise guy-really. The specs are spelled out-just look at the oilable and there you go. Seems stright forward enough.

We ALL know about oil threads.......... The guys who made your motor have the most vested interest in keeping it correct.

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Not being a wise guy-really. The specs are spelled out-just look at the oilable and there you go. Seems stright forward enough.

Ordinarily I would agree that the specs provide an answer, but it appears that only the few use 15w/50, so I was wondering why most bonnie owners tend to ignore the specs and use 10w/40.

T-boy

Rocker
I use 15W50 fully synthetic. My dealer used Mobil Racing 4t at my 500 mile oil change, and I have continued to use it. Asking what oil you should use will invariably present you with 100's of different choices from NBR members. Maybe ask your dealer what they would advise.

OMG not another one of these threads....

Long story short, as long as the 2nd # on the weight of oil you use is a 40 or a 50 you're okay. Oils that usually have friction modifiers that fuck up our clutch usually has a stamp that says "Energy Conserving" and usually the second #s on the weights are 20 or 30.

The first # has to deal with cold start ups and isn't too important. If you live in a colder environment, go with the 5W. 10W is pretty universal. The 15W is for hotter climates.

Ive been using Shell Rotella Full Synthetic 5W40 from day one for my 2007 Bonnie (now currently has close to 41K miles) and she runs perfectly fine and oil changes show nothing out of the ordinary.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I just today, filled my crankcase with Castrol 20W-50. Been using Dino oil for the last 6 thousand miles. I've found it to work smooth and haven't noticed any difference between it and full synth. when changing my oil ever 3000 miles. I've now got 12,359 miles clocked up on the girl.
I will sure as hell let y'all know on this forum should I find any differences, other than something like me saving money.
Castrol 20W-50 and a fram filter for about 18 bucks at Wallyworld

I just today, filled my crankcase with Castrol 20W-50. Been using Dino oil for the last 6 thousand miles. I've found it to work smooth and haven't noticed any difference between it and full synth. when changing my oil ever 3000 miles. I've now got 12,359 miles clocked up on the girl.
I will sure as hell let y'all know on this forum should I find any differences, other than something like me saving money.
Castrol 20W-50 and a fram filter for about 18 bucks at Wallyworld

FWIW I would avoid the fram filter and go with the cheaper Supertech 6607 (I think that's serial #). The Supertech did a much better job filtering than the Fram..and the Supertech is cheaper.

Skeeter

Rocker
i hope this isnt the new "premium gas" thread.

all i can say is the triumph oil filter cost a lot but comes with a new copper washer. NOW if you use the fram or what ever, make sure you dont lose your copper washer thats on the oil plug. some times it sticks to the plug and other times itll stick to the engine block. you can buy them at auto zone but just dont lose the bugger.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Tooblekain, Say I appreciate the news about those filters.
Normally, I avoid the Supertech and what ever that brand is that Big Lot's sell for a buck a bottle.
That crap ain't even good enough for use in the roughest of lawn equipment, in my opinion.
BTW- Skeeter, good point those washers, I never got a washer with any of the filters I've purchased from K&N, Triumph, or Amsoil either come to think about it. Just always re-used it, & no leaks. I wonder if the Triumph dealer removes the filter so he can charge ya a little extra or, YOUR dealer gives one to you with your filter purchase, a good business practice to my way of thinking.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Rocker
i always reuse my washer, theyre fine to reuse, just dont lose the thing. i dont know what would happen if you didnt use one. might leak? idk
i only bought the triumph filer once and it came with a washer but it was taped to the top of the box, so maybe the dealership did that for me