Bonny Input Wanted

Trout

moped
I posted to the Welcome section also.

I'm a long time Guzzi rider and when I have something I like I tend to hold on to it, both my Guzzis are over 30 years old. I'm 60 myself and have never owned a brand new bike so I'm looking at the Bonnys. I would really like to hear from long time riders and would like the dirt with the good.

Whats the common failure of the Bonny?
I've been a wrench all my life and every machine develops bad habits over the years so I'd like a heads up on what I can expect to fail and what kind of cost is involved.

Whats the longest time you have spent in the saddle?

Other than mods for personal pleasure/appearance what would you change?

I ride country roads and I like to ride the machine in it's comfort zone. One of my Guzzis hits the groove at 70 but the other wants to cruise at 80.
What should I expect from the Bonny?

This will probably be the last bike I buy and when I can't go anymore I have two sons and a grandson that will get them so I'm in the process of rebuilding the Guzzis for the last time. I plan on riding the Bonny while building the Guzzi's then passing the Bonny on to my grandson with enough cash to make it a good, solid machine for him. That's the plan and I sure would like input from Bonny riders.

Thanks, Trout

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I ridden my EFI Bonnie since 08 and it hasn't needed anything other than the cam cover gasket to be redone. Still running original spark plugs.
I have done about 10 hours in the saddle one day that left me wanting to upgrade it and the rear shocks.
In all, it wouldn't surprize me a bit to learn that you like riding it so much that even after your done restorating your Guzzis, you still choose to ride the Triumph. It's just that pleasing!
BTW- How about showing us some pictures of them Moto Guizzi's. I've always loved the way those big cylinders stick out in the wind!

T-boy

Rocker
My Bonnie is an '07 Black. My primary reason for buying was because it reminded me of the bikes I rode back in the 60's & 70's.

Most common failure is the cam cover leak--new style washers and maybe a new gasket will fix. Cheap if you do the work yourself.

Many owners have upgraded the suspension...I haven't found a need to do so.

I did change out the stock exhaust with BC Sleepers & rejet to get a sound more to my liking.

I don't ride for extended periods of time (carpal tunnel)...maybe 30 to 40 minutes, but I must say I am comfortable the entire time.

All in all, the Bonnie is the most fun to ride of the bikes I have owned. Very happy with my purchase.

drlapo

Hooligan
my 05 Thruxton has never let me down
I've taken it to Bennington a couple of times= 900 mile weekend
no faults, no problems
normal mods: EPCO silencers, UNI filter, Polaris bellmouth,125 mains, 40 pilots, one shim, Hagon shocks, Race Tech fork emulators, Luca taillight, Tarrozzi clips ons, Avon tires= lots of fun
I'm 62

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Trout, Welcome aboard..

Q: Whats the common failure of the Bonny? I've been a wrench all my life and every machine develops bad habits over the years so I'd like a heads up on what I can expect to fail and what kind of cost is involved.

A: There are no ‘consistent’ issues with Hinckely Bonnies. The cam cover leak issue isn’t common, and if it leaks, it’s an easy home fix. No reason to take the bike to the shop, unless it’s still under warranty. Over the years there have been a number of issues with coils on bikes with high mileage, but I believe Triumph may have figured that out.

Q: Whats the longest time you have spent in the saddle?

A: Me, personally, 312 miles during a day ride. However, there are a number of guys from the ‘other’ Bonnie forum who’ve ridden their bikes from as far as San Diego, Minnesota, and Michigan to the mountains of western NC for the annual spring Bonnie rally. The stock seat (still) sucks, but there are alternatives. My son lives in Indiana, and he's ridden his Bonnie to my home in eastern NC on more than one occasion.

Q: Other than mods for personal pleasure/appearance what would you change?

A1: Pipes.. the stock pipes make the bike sound like a 250cc Honda Rebel. I’m a fan of Norman Hyde pipes, since they look like the originals, and they ‘work’, but there are others. Your wallet will be a factor in determining which pipes to buy.
A2: Front sprocket. Depending on what year bike you buy, if it comes with a 17-tooth front sprocket, you’ll want to change it to a 18-tooth sprocket. Otherwise you’ll be consistently ‘hunting sixth gear’. Changing the front sprocket will also lower your RPMs by about 400 at 70 mph. The new Bonnies come with a 18-tooth front sprocket.
A3: Other than that, the world is yours.. there are many, many accessories available (now) to allow you to personalize your Bonnie to fit you and your riding style.

Q: I ride country roads and I like to ride the machine in it's comfort zone. One of my Guzzis hits the groove at 70 but the other wants to cruise at 80. What should I expect from the Bonny?

A: You can cruise all day at 70+.. they love it. I’m not sure I’d want to cruise all day at 80 on one, unless I added a windscreen.

This will probably be the last bike I buy and when I can't go anymore I have two sons and a grandson that will get them so I'm in the process of rebuilding the Guzzis for the last time. I plan on riding the Bonny while building the Guzzi's then passing the Bonny on to my grandson with enough cash to make it a good, solid machine for him. That's the plan and I sure would like input from Bonny riders.

Additional comment: For the money you’d be hard pressed to find a better all around bike than a Hinckley Bonnie. It’s a great ‘first’ bike, it’s a great ‘last’ bike, and it’s a great ‘now’ bike. I’ve been riding them they came out in ’01, and bought my first in early 2002. In the meantime I’ve owned a garage full of ‘other’ bikes, but I’ve always had at least one Bonnie in the stable. My son owns a Bonnie, and before she moved to the UK, my daughter also owned a Bonnie.

Last edited:

Trout

moped
WOW! Thanks to all for the great input. it sure makes it a lot easier to part with some cash knowing that it is well spent. I visted a bud who works parts at the local Harley dealer and he showed me a 2005 T100 they took in trade. Very clean but I don't remeber the mileage. He hinted that it could probably be had for about $4000.00, they have $4800.00 on it Good Deal or should I buy new? Decisions~decisions.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, if you like wrenching, then a carb model might be more to your liking. Don't know. But i love my 07 Black. I put money into suspension bits and am pleased with those mods. I also have TORs (Triumph off road pipes) and they make the bike sound pretty sweet but not too offensive.

That 2005 sounds pretty good to me, if you can get it for 4K, do it. Miles don't hurt em and they are a blast to ride.

strokerlmt

WOW! Thanks to all for the great input. it sure makes it a lot easier to part with some cash knowing that it is well spent. I visted a bud who works parts at the local Harley dealer and he showed me a 2005 T100 they took in trade. Very clean but I don't remeber the mileage. He hinted that it could probably be had for about $4000.00, they have $4800.00 on it Good Deal or should I buy new? Decisions~decisions.

Trout......I left you a note under the WELCOME thread. I am 61yrs old with some neck, shoulder knee isuues. I agree with Chris the cam cover is NOT a usual problem. I have an 03 T-100 with a modified engine, but other than an issue only due to the modifying of the engine which was fixed it has been flawless. I am a junior wrench but have taken the bike completely apart and like its simplicity. I have progressive springs in the front an aftermarket shocks and like the suspension. I have a 30-31 inseam and am flat footed which I like. I mentioned in "welcome" that I have risers and Mbars, football grips and rearsets and I am comfortable. We do over nite camp trips to the dessert and I carry gear with ease. A clean 05 T-100 with reasonable miles for 4k seems like a pretty decent deal. Good luck...
LMT

Trout

moped
Hey Stars & Bars! I uploaded pics of the Guzzi's into my album but I do not know how you get there from here. LOL I can fix most things but a lot of this baffles me.

mark66

TT Racer
I've got an '07 Bonnie and the only complaint I have with it is the height of the foot pegs, and that's only because of my long legs. I'm 63 and love riding it. I like riding the back roads and it just smoothly runs along with plenty of power to spare. I also got rid of the stock mufflers and the airbox. Added dominator sport pipes from TPUSA and the pod filters. Rejetted the carbs and love the feel of it now.

monty

Street Tracker
Trout,
Just to re iterate whats been said already. I run a 2001 Bonnie which I have owned since new in June 01.

Front sprocket makes all the difference. Go up a tooth it makes all the difference.

I changed the rear shocks for after market hagon shrouded units and put progressive springs in the forks. Again big difference.

Silencers are Norman Hyde and I have removed the AI kit. This has stopped the bluing of the pipes and the popping on the over run{ shame !}.

These are riders bikes Trout, they love to be ridden.

I hope to be doing a run to the Czech republic later in the year on the Bonnie, about 1300miles one way. It never crossed my mind to use anything other than the Bonnie.

If I had a preference it would be to upgrade to an 865 on carbs but I have no intention of moving mine on. I will never part with my 790.

Monty.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
What I meant Trout was if you're used to wrenching on carbs, mebbe a carb model would suit you better.

My Bonnie is solid and I have a ton of fun with it.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Annual thread or not, I'll participate in the love-in!

Mine's an '07 Black, went blacker before I got the paint. I was emphatically NOT a wrench when I got it brand new 4 years ago. 20,000 miles later, I've had the carbs apart, both wheels off, replaced the front and rear shocks, removed the airbox, added an aux electrical panel relay wired to the ignition switch, added some driving lights, replaced the stock bars, lowered the pegs, replaced the 18T front sprocket with 19T... and I guess that's about it. Experimented with two different non-stock seats, and went back to the stocker.

Longest day - 11 hours doing the 450 miles from Bennington back to Maryland in '08. Longest road trip - 1400 miles two weeks ago for this year's Bennington. Can cruise all day at 75. It like to run at 5000 rpm no matter what gear - plan accordingly!!!

I'm 6'2 and will be 50 next time around. Don't ask me how THAT happened because I have no clue.

Buy it, ride it, love it, and welcome to the fold!!!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
"Buy it, ride it, love it", build it. The bikes are so versatile. You can take them the traditional classic route.. and they look great. You can take them the cafe styled route.. and they look great. You can build a bobber and it will look great. You can build a ratter and it will look great. Well....You get the gist.

I've done from Louisiana to north Georgia and back only stopping to gas up and eat once each way with no complaints about the bike, just my lack of sunblock.

Trout

moped
Dang! I think you'all like your Bonnys just a wee bit. I'm gonna ask for just 1 more piece of advice then the next post from me will be for how much I'm diggin on my Bonny. Local Harley dealer has a 2005 T100 with 5,000 miles on it. One owner, all stock except for heat wrap on the pipes and bar end mirrors. Asking $5,000.00. I'm thinking of offering $4500. (tax, tags, out the door) with a new rear tire supplied and installed by them.
Watcha think?

strokerlmt

Dang! I think you'all like your Bonnys just a wee bit. I'm gonna ask for just 1 more piece of advice then the next post from me will be for how much I'm diggin on my Bonny. Local Harley dealer has a 2005 T100 with 5,000 miles on it. One owner, all stock except for heat wrap on the pipes and bar end mirrors. Asking $5,000.00. I'm thinking of offering $4500. (tax, tags, out the door) with a new rear tire supplied and installed by them.
Watcha think?

Get the front tire tooooo so you are in sinc. Love new rubber.....
LMT

Trout

moped
Triumph T100 2005.jpg

Not sure if I did this pic attachment correctly. Would like to know if the tank is original with this decal. I haven't been able to find a picture of another one like this. Up close & personal it doesn't look like a decal, it's very professional and personally I dig it because it makes the bike unique.

What say you?