Good Morning

Trout

moped
Ton Up to all the Limeys.

Well over 40 years of riding time mostly on Moto Guzzis and still have 2, one is 37 years old and the other 35. Owned & road a 65 & a 69 BSA Lightning, the 65 was stock, the 69 chopped. Picked up a 71 Bonney in 75 but sold it to a bud who needed a ride. Got the first Guzzi in 72 or 73 and have been pretty much riding them ever since.

Lately I've had the urge for something "Brand New" as I have never owned anything that was new. The choices are this: Well I just don't like any of the modern look machines. The only valid retros out there are the Guzzi V7 Classic but after riding one I was really dissappointed. The sales person kept telling me not to compare it to the 850 T & T3 I am currently riding and he was right. I looked at the Harleys... so well Ok I looked..the current breed of Sportys are pretty cool but when you really look at the wiring harness running down the side of the frame and a clutch cable dragging about 4" off the ground and various pipes and tubes sticking here & there well it just turned me off.

So I'm looking at the Thruxton or a Bonny but the hard money is on the Bonny. I love the Thruxton but the lay down style is really starting to aggrevate the body. ( My T is done Cafe Racer style). I do like long distance rides. 200 to 300 miles or 4 hours of ride time is fine by me.

So I would really appreciate any feedback from Bonny owners especialy anyone who has owned and ridden one for a few years and has taken some solid rides.

I'm also gonna post in the Bonny section for input.

Thanks for the time,
Trout

Bonafide

NBR founder
The newest Thruxtons dont have clip ons like the first few years did. They have a bar adapter on them from the factory with a factory type M bar handlebar (much more comfortable on the wrists). Really not a pain to ride all day. Some people suffer with age different than others - so I'd say go test ride them at a local dealership.

No matter which one you go which ... all parts will eventually swap back in forth through the modern classics range so you can customize your ride to suit your needs and taste.

And ... :welcome: to the forum.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Welcome. I have a Bonny and the riding position is just about ideal. The seat is hard. I most often do 100 - 150 mile days through the mountains. Being upright you see more scenery.

Most I have ever done is 600 miles in one day. On the Bonnie - you can stand up on the pegs while riding and you move around on the seat. I put a soft tailbag on the passenger seat and sat up on that for a little while too.

Welcome.

strokerlmt

Trout......welcome....61 years old and loving my Bonneville. Very solid bike, rides well, easy to work on. I am a pretty good rider not excellent and not aggressive. But I find the bike forgiving and easy to handle. IMO a lot of reasonably priced after market shit out there and lots of used bits available. I have gone 500 miles in a day and although tired old bones no real body damage and I have a bad neck, shoulder and knee. Mbars, risers, rear sets and a good after market seat seem to fit the bill. Have fun let us know what you decide.
LMT

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Better late than never Trout.
Welcome to the forum from Wobbly in Oz.

By now you have most likely made the big decision and purchased a bike.
I hope it's a Bonnie. You will NOT be disappointed!

dschief

750cc
Welcome to the group.
Try both bikes, but be warned, you might end up with both bikes. I did, but my Thruxton is a first generation with clip-ons. I've done 200 mile days with it before I picked up my slightly used Bonneville, but I now use it for local back roads runs, and save the 200 milers for the Bonneville.