My Cabrio's top is sick

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Don't know what happened, but over the Winter my ragtop got lazy or something. I go to put the roof down

and..........it's...........very.........slowwww.

I go to put the roof back up.

and...........it's...........even.............slowwwwweerrrr.

I suspect the battery is tired.

Opinions?

Oxblood

750cc
I know cabrio is a generic term for convertible but I'm going to guess in this case he means a VW Cabrio. Also assuming electric operation.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Yeah, it is a VW. I usually hear a bit of a whirring sound. Now nothing. Still works, but it's slow. You know what my fear is, the damned top gets halfway up or down and sticks.

Oil Burner

Scooter
Check all contacts, wd40 all hinges & mechanisms & if the car starts easy, the battery is fine.

Agreed. If the battery can start the car, it should be in decent shape. When the car is running, the voltage is even higher due to the alternator charging the system. I'd check for sticky/frozen pivot points in the top's frame. If the system uses hydraulics to drive the top actuators, make sure there is enough fluid in the pump reservoir (I'm not familiar with the VW system specifically). Loose pin grip or corrosion in any of the electical connections will increase resistance, slowing operation or stopping it altogether.

Hermit

moped
Get rid of it. The problems are just beginning...

Seriously though, good luck with it.

(A former VW Cabrio owner)

A pity, because my wife really liked ours.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, put the Cabrio's battery on my battery tender overnight. After the green light, I let the car sit around for a couple of days. Just normal (for me) driving. Got a gap N sip run in tonight.... and..... the top's working perfectly. It must be a weak battery.

Or....... I was holding my mouth right...