How much would you pay for a 1974 CB550Four...sitting in the elements?

whyme

TT Racer
My Dad has been eyeing up this bike sitting in a yard for some time now. Does not look too bad for sitting in the rain. The guy started at $1000 and now he is saying $500. Says he has a title, but he also spends ALL of his time in the VFW. In fact, my Dad just calls him there to see how the bike is selling. Looking for a little project so I'm going to check it out up close. I know I won't be able to mess with it enough to try and get it running. I'm thinking if it kicks OK and he has a title to offer $400 and run with it? Whadya think??

He told my Dad he had it running a couple of years ago..he also told him it was a 1985!

AceT100

Rocker
I'd start lower than that. They are plentiful and can be bought running and reliable for $500 all day.

I just sold a one owner from new CB750 for $700 for a coworker.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I'd start lower than that. They are plentiful and can be bought running and reliable for $500 all day.

I just sold a one owner from new CB750 for $700 for a coworker.

Guess that all depends on where you live. You cant buy a running one around here for less than $1200-$1500.

Personally, I'd spend more money to find a nicer/running one over a $400 decayed wiring/rust bucket. You'll spend less money in the long run getting to where to you want if you start with a good/solid base of bike.

whyme

TT Racer
Yeah. Around my way nothing is cheap! I've never seen a decent one for below 1k. I'll get an up close look on Saturday. Thanks for your input.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I agree with Bonafide. Corrosion puts me off. I would'nt really consider a bike with heavy corrosion or exposure to the elements.

tezza

Street Tracker
i also agree with the dude,the better the starting point the better the finish,add a couple of 100 bucks at the start will save thousands at the end.i have started with a cheapy a couple of time and ended up owing more than the national debt,never again.

simpson

TT Racer
It may be a good parts bike, but keep in mind the only usable part may be the clear title...if the owner can produce it.

I've been looking at CB550's for a while and you can find them for $500 (running). The market isn't flooded with them, but they are out there. I find about 1-2 per month, but have been unable to get to them in time to close a deal.

Good luck.

-simpson

CB prices are retarded around here. They're becoming a hipster standard-issue accessory. Not the big bore CB750s, but all the smaller ones.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
CB prices are retarded around here. They're becoming a hipster standard-issue accessory. Not the big bore CB750s, but all the smaller ones.

Agreed. There's one foundation at my university where all the hipster kids flock to. I've never seen one over 300cc! There is a cb175 that is a tasty little thing, but I like the option of interstate without being roadkill.

I have to admit though, I'd like one of the 350 or 360 2 cylinders to putt around on. A light little bike sounds fun.

whyme

TT Racer
What's the saying?? Good from afar but far from good? I got a close look. The motor did turn over with the kick but it was just in the weather for too long. The clock had only 10k miles though. Tank was rusted, wheels were rusted, no front brake cable, no brake fluid or rear brake fluid, seat was shot, frame was starting to rust, rusted aftermarket exhaust, on and on....I'll offer $50 with a title...maybe.

Last edited:

Kframe

Street Tracker
Last fall, no, two seasons ago, I got a '74 CB550 with about 20K on the clock, had been sitting in a garage since 1985 (last tags) and didn't run.
Carb cleaning, new fuel, new plugs and new battery and it fired right up.
Exhaust was rotted through and had to be replaced.

I paid $350 cash, in Minneapolis.

For 'sitting in the elements" I wouldn't pay more than $100-150 depending on how it looked.
-K

whyme

TT Racer
If there was one thing more besides "it was not frozen" that I could say was good I may be a little more interested.