Supermoto

badda_bing

Two Stroke
Thinking about biting the bullet and selling the Thrux and getting a supermoto bike. Ether a Honda CRF450 or a Yamaha WR450.

Unless someone talks sense into me and convinces me that Scramblerizng my Thrux would satisfy my urge.

Does anyone have any experience with supermoto bikes?

Kirkus51

Hooligan
My secret lust is for a kawasaki KLR650. I guess it's more of an adventure bike, but they say it's good on the street and it's not bad on the dirt trails.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
My secret lust is for a kawasaki KLR650. I guess it's more of an adventure bike, but they say it's good on the street and it's not bad on the dirt trails.

I have a friend that rides one. He loves it. My lust is for a KTM 990, but for the money, one of the 450's is more in my range. I haven't priced the KTM 690 or the Husky SM630, just been having the hankering for something different. I don't actually make many long rides. More around town. Lots of desert and mountain trails, I am looking for a bike to do all.

Last edited:

nohawk

Rocker
If you do it, get a xr650r. The valve seats are like butter on the 450's, especially the CRF450 I hear. Valve clearance issues are a real negative on the new 450's and I would imagine sustained RPM associated with street riding would make it worse. There are some companys like pro circuit that will replace the stock valves and seats with some of a different material to help out some but valve adjustments still are needed at least every 60 hours. Oil changes will need to happen real often too. Im partial to the XR's but the DRZ's are nice too. I have a freind that just 'tarded his xr650r, Ill try to find a pic.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Thinking about biting the bullet and selling the Thrux and getting a supermoto bike. Ether a Honda CRF450 or a Yamaha WR450.

Might wanna check your local DMV laws, but neither of those are permitted to registered on the street here in GA. The Huskys and KTMs however - are not flagged as 'off road use only' and a bunch of people rip up the North GA mountains with them.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
If you do it, get a xr650r. The valve seats are like butter on the 450's, especially the CRF450 I hear. Valve clearance issues are a real negative on the new 450's and I would imagine sustained RPM associated with street riding would make it worse. There are some companys like pro circuit that will replace the stock valves and seats with some of a different material to help out some but valve adjustments still are needed at least every 60 hours. Oil changes will need to happen real often too. Im partial to the XR's but the DRZ's are nice too. I have a freind that just 'tarded his xr650r, Ill try to find a pic.

Thanks for the advice. Just looking on the interwebz and youtoob it seems most of the supermotos are the 450's. I will check out the XR650r.

Might wanna check your local DMV laws, but neither of those are permitted to registered on the street here in GA. The Huskys and KTMs however - are not flagged as 'off road use only' and a bunch of people rip up the North GA mountains with them.

As long as you have tail light and head light, it is street legal in Idaho. The only drawback to the KTM and Husky is there are no local dealers.

nohawk

Rocker
Most of the current motard bike that are leaning towards the race end of the spectrum are the 450s. I just dont think they are practical for daily street use due to the maintenance needed to keep them up. The xr is bulletproof, here is the 650r my friend just did. Its not technically plated yet but I have ridden it alot and it is really really good

1307494430.jpg

badda_bing

Two Stroke
Test rode a KTM Duke a while back....LOVED it, and decided I like my license too much...

That is my fear too. But I am going to risk it. I keep telling my wife that it is smaller than my Thrux, so I should be less hooliganish on it.

Most of the current motard bike that are leaning towards the race end of the spectrum are the 450s. I just dont think they are practical for daily street use due to the maintenance needed to keep them up. The xr is bulletproof, here is the 650r my friend just did. Its not technically plated yet but I have ridden it alot and it is really really good

1307494430.jpg

That does look good. Did he do different wheels or just street tires on oem?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer

I've owned three KLR's during my time and that is a good assessment on them. Good on the road and good on trails...combine both them together and it is a shit load of fun. I plan on putting another KLR250 in the garage when I get back stateside...something to go out with my son on as he will be old enough to get into this

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke

Unless someone talks sense into me and convinces me that Scramblerizng my Thrux would satisfy my urge.

Does anyone have any experience with supermoto bikes?

Why not a Suzuki DRZ400SM? I've really been looking at them myself.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
Why not a Suzuki DRZ400SM? I've really been looking at them myself.

Never thought about one. Just been seeing the CRF and WR being used. Going to look at an XR650L and a KLR650 later today. I think I like the idea of the bigger displacement for highway rides.

If I don't like them, I will probably just Scrambler my Thrux.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
Sounds like a lot of work and money for very little real benefit.

It will be cheaper than buying a different bike and adding the parts to it. All I want is a more upright style and the ability to ride different terrains. Headed to look at the two bikes.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
its pretty expensive, but for a do it all bike, the Tiger XC would be on my list. I imagine that it would have more than enough power to keep up with anything on the road too, so you aren't limited to just around town.

ivar

TT Racer
Keep the thrux for highway use, get a DRZ in addition

for that sake, the Bonneville family of bikes are very versatile, with tourance tires and upgraded suspension, its pure fun on gravel

P1000780-1.JPG