Cutting down fork gaiters

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Anyone ever done it? Mine are scrunched up and the pleats aren't sitting correctly.. wondering if I can just cut it between one of the top pleats and zip tie it there.. don't want to ruin a new set of gaiters if it's going to be crap though!

I could be totally missing the mark, but sounds like as the forks are compressed and extended, the air has been sucked out and the gaitor has been sucked up against the fork tube?

My left side gaitor was doing that. I simply removed the zip tie on the bottom and no more problem. I've heard some have poked holes in the gaitor to let air flow in and out.

Can you post a pic?

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Nah man, it isn't that. It's just the simple fact that they are 9" gaitors, which is standard.. but I don't have that much room. So they have no room to expand with the fork brace there. Just wondering if anyone had cut them down because of a lack of room before.

Thanks though!

I have the same issue, but mine have more/smaller pleats. I've been thinking about taking a razor blade and removing a few sections. I'd think if you line the seams up right it wouldn't be that noticeable.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Yea that was my thought on it. Another guy told me to fold the bottom under since I have the fork brace. I'm going to try that. I'll let you know how it works out. Maybe you can fold the top under or something.

tezza

Street Tracker
i did some for my old shovelhead,i just cut out what i didnt want. slide the pleat into the one above and superglued it ,worked for years