Wine

irishrider60

Scooter
Just recently back from Napa and Sonoma, CA, visiting various wineries. Met some great people and had a great time visiting some of the wineries. Also, drank some great wine during the trip. I thought I would share one of the places we visited which was a beautiful castle called Castello Diamorosa.

http://www.castellodiamorosa.com

Now for the question, what is your favorite brand and wine? As of today, mine is 2003 Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon. Cheers!

koifarm

Hooligan
Funny you should mention that !

MD 20-20:piss:

Damn, I can remember drinking what we called a "Sneaky Pete" which was a glass of beer with a shot glass of MD 20-20 dropped down in it....bleah !! Fine stuff for a good buzz.....and a fine hangover the next day....

rodburner

Rocker
Yeah,we drank the 2020 when we couldn't afford pear Ripple or BoonesFarm,or Annie Greensprings.lol

Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Thinderbird must be an exclusive wine sold only to discerning winos. I saw tons of empties when I was a vendor in SoCal in the not so hip neighborhoods.

When I used to drink I liked Blue Nun. Shows you that I'm at least a notch above Tunderbird.... barely.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
Boones farm strawberry hill or TJ Swan summer nights! FTW!!!!

in reality, ste. Chappelle johanasberg Riesling special harvest

But mostly, shock top ale. Wine gives me a headache almost immediately.

Part of a balanced breakfast!

44893_1402908194083_1273707195_961819_5294653_n.jpg

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Jorden is some great stuff. Many of the wines are small batch and can only be purchased there. Worth the trip, to say thre least.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
When we were younger, much younger, a group of us would rent a Toyota Coaster minibus on a Saturday or Sunday and head up into the Hunter Valley vineyards which is about 35 miles west of Newcastle.
We'd bar-hop from cellar door to cellar door in each and every vineyard in the Valley, tasting every wine they made. It was free (and still is) to sample taste and by the end of the day we'd fall back in the bus for the drive home, pissed and happy. The 35 mile trip home took about 3 hours due to all the piss and sprew stops on the way.

Can't remember the names of any of the wines but by the end of the day, every wine we sampled was the "best wine we've ever, ever tasted".

Strange days, strange days indeed!

Dave

Street Tracker
Woop Woop is an Australian Shiraz that is my absolute favorite, I like most wines from the southern hemisphere, especially Argentina and Australia. We went to Sonoma and Napa before too, Sonoma was a nice little town with better wines (IMO) than the Napa region.

Pic I took in the wine cellar of Hess in Napa...

Hesscellar.jpg

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Woop Woop is an Australian Shiraz that is my absolute favorite,
I asked down at my local bottle shop if they knew of an Aussie Shiraz called Woop Woop. They've never heard of it. I suspect that it's a name given to an export wine which would give the product an Aussie flavour (as in characterisitic not taste).

Dave, what is the name of the vineyard where the wine originated?
Don't mind the odd glass of Shiraz.

Woop Woop is Aussie slang for a ficticious place where you ARE NOT AT and is a long, long way away from the place where you ARE AT! If you get my drift.

The "Back of Woop Woop" is even further away still.

Example of where you might hear it: "I was ridin' my bike out the back of Woop Woop when my back wheel fell off. No water, no food, no tools! I was well and truly fucked!!!"

wobb

Dave

Street Tracker
I asked down at my local bottle shop if they knew of an Aussie Shiraz called Woop Woop. They've never heard of it. I suspect that it's a name given to an export wine which would give the product an Aussie flavour (as in characterisitic not taste).

Dave, what is the name of the vineyard where the wine originated?
Don't mind the odd glass of Shiraz.

Woop Woop is Aussie slang for a ficticious place where you ARE NOT AT and is a long, long way away from the place where you ARE AT! If you get my drift.

The "Back of Woop Woop" is even further away still.

Example of where you might hear it: "I was ridin' my bike out the back of Woop Woop when my back wheel fell off. No water, no food, no tools! I was well and truly fucked!!!"

wobb

That's a cool way to describe it. The back of the bottle has a shorter version of the terms origin. I copied the text below from another site, but I'll add that 2004 is the best year of it I've had

woop_woop.jpg

Woop Woop 2004 Shiraz
89 points. This 100% shiraz from South Australia sees some oak, a small amount of which is new wood. (New barrels impart more flavor than those that have been used before.) Notes of flowers, black currants, licorice, and road tar are discernible, but the emphasis is on oodles of up-front fruit, an opulent attack, sweet tannin, and a lush, heady mid-palate and finish. This is the type of everyday red that will be exceptionally popular. Enjoy it over the next two to three years.
Winemaker: Ben Riggs
Region: South Australia including Riverland, Padthaway.

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Thanks for answering that for me Dave, cheers.
I'll go back to my bottle shop and hunt for a bottle. I googled a link to Ben Riggs website.

Link: http://www.mrriggs.com.au/extras/0206 Ben Riggs Profile.pdf

Descriptions of wines are such a wank, aren't they! Road tar??? WTF?

The most important thing I've found about any wine is if it tastes good and you enjoy it, it's a bloody good wine.

As my old grandfather, who fought in the trenches of France and Belgium in WW1 and was a wharfie (a longshoreman) all his working life and was as hard as nails, used to say to me, "There are no bad beers, son. Just beer!"
Don't know if I'd espouse that theory with wines though.

Last edited: