powdercoating pipes

neuroboy

750cc
I have a pair of D&Ds (chrome) that have started pitting and have a couple small rust spots and I figured powdercoating them black would be a cheaper alternative to having to drop coin on a new set.

Here's the rub: I can't get anyone to do it. All the powdercoating shops said that they stay away from jobs like this (i.e. recoating silencers) because the combination of road grit, vibration, heat, and going over chrome (and some rust) doesn't often turn out well.

Has anyone had luck re-coating their pipes, and how did you do it? I'd prefer to not go the route of having to just rough them up and rattle can them with some variety of black heat-resistant paint. . . but I'm not afraid to either.

cheers.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
If it's the mufflers, some elbow grease to scuff the chrome and rattle-canning them with BBQ black (follow the directions, and do several coats with light sanding between) will work just fine. If it's the pipes, it will also work but the heat will eventually lead to flaking up at the tops.

I had mine that way for a a year or so, and got tired of the flaking, so got them ceramic coated.

And, no, powdercoating won't work - too much heat!

strokerlmt

I have a pair of D&Ds (chrome) that have started pitting and have a couple small rust spots and I figured powdercoating them black would be a cheaper alternative to having to drop coin on a new set.

Here's the rub: I can't get anyone to do it. All the powdercoating shops said that they stay away from jobs like this (i.e. recoating silencers) because the combination of road grit, vibration, heat, and going over chrome (and some rust) doesn't often turn out well.

Has anyone had luck re-coating their pipes, and how did you do it? I'd prefer to not go the route of having to just rough them up and rattle can them with some variety of black heat-resistant paint. . . but I'm not afraid to either.

cheers.

I have used heat paint on my headers and have had no flaking. I think if you send in donor headers to Carlos at South Bay Triumph they send you back ceranmics.
LMT

neuroboy

750cc
I'm thinking just the silencers. . . just sent a message to Jet-Hot for en estimate. what can I expect, cost-wise, for ceramic for just headers?

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
I'm thinking just the silencers. . . just sent a message to Jet-Hot for en estimate. what can I expect, cost-wise, for ceramic for just headers?

About $225 - but you might want to reconsider using Jet-Hot. I've had a half-dozen pairs of pipes coated since '02. The quality of their coating has decreased over time. The last set I got back had terrible 'orange peel'.

I'm at work now, but I'll send you a link and contact info for a guy who does 'em in Georgia. I've had him do two sets for me, and both times the outcome was great.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I went to my local harley shop at the suggestion of the local triumph shop, and they had a guy that did all their work. No web site. Might not hurt to ask around!

$5 can of BBQ black. Lay down a coat, then scuff with 0000 steel wool, then another coat, then steel wool, etc. It looks great and costs next to nothing.

em_dot

Street Tracker
+1 on Jet Hot. I used Extreme Sterling inside the headers and out two years ago. They still look brand new. I paid about $220.00ish if I remember correctly.

056.jpg

loxpump

Rocker
I had mine ceramic coated a few years ago and they still look like they did when I got them back. I think the headers and adapter pipe we $90.00, which was a couple years ago. Some place down in Missouri where my brother in law got his headers done for his car.
clean2.jpg

These are my old mufflers which I rattle canned with 600 deg. engine paint, and there was no sign of problems.
pipe7.jpg

Easy13

Street Tracker
I picked up a beat-up pair of D&D slipons a couple years ago and had them "high-temp" powdercoated black at a local shop. They look good and I had no problems for the year I had them mounted. They're gathering dust now that I've gone to Thrux headers, so shoot me a PM, Neuro, if you want to do a deal (cheap).

JRMSR

Scooter
Jet hot is the way to go if you want to spend the money. Although you can rattle can and then put a high temp clear on them, which will act as a barrier from road grime.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

neuroboy

750cc
That "sterling" ceramic coat JetHot is sharp. . . especially the brushed finish. I'm leaving the headers as-is. The quote for the silencers was $196 + $50 for stripping for the brushed aluminum look. not terrible and way cheaper than a new set.

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
That "sterling" ceramic coat JetHot does is sharp. . . especially the brushed finish. I'm leaving the headers as-is. The quote for the silencers was $196 + $50 for stripping for the brushed aluminum look. not terrible and way cheaper than a new set.

I demand pics on this!!!!!:mad2:

jhillier71

Street Tracker
I had mine ceramic coated a few years ago and they still look like they did when I got them back. I think the headers and adapter pipe we $90.00, which was a couple years ago. Some place down in Missouri where my brother in law got his headers done for his car.
clean2.jpg

These are my old mufflers which I rattle canned with 600 deg. engine paint, and there was no sign of problems.
pipe7.jpg

best bike stand.... ever