Economic observation

koifarm

Hooligan
It has come to my attention that these days, beer is much cheaper than gasoline.
Drink, don't drive !
:lol3::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Koi
:sidecar:

Beer cheaper than gasoline? Almost nothing is cheaper than gasoline. How many things can you buy a gallon of for under $4?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
After spending 16+ years overseas, there is one thing I have noticed...we don't pay shit for gas compared to the rest of the world

wobblygong

Street Tracker
After spending 16+ years overseas, there is one thing I have noticed...we don't pay shit for gas compared to the rest of the world

A little bit of useless information.

Today, (Wed 1st day June, 2011) on the east coast of Australia (Sydney area), we pay around $1.50 per litre for petrol (gas).
That's AUS$5.67 per gallon and as one Australian dollar is worth 1.07 US dollars, we are paying US$6.06 per gallon for gas.

LPG, which used to be 49 cents per litre 4 years ago is now sellin for 75 cents per litre. So all those Aussies, running V8 engined motor cars, who had their cars converted to run on LPG are spewin' !

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Damn Wobbly...I wouldn't call that useless info if you are the one stuck spending it out to cover the fuel cost. I know Japan is right there with you on the cost of fuel and the UK wasn't that far behind but I have been out of there a little over a year now. It is going up across the board as well; I work in fuels for the Air Force and we (government) just got a hike in our prices as well. Imagine filling up your C-5 sitting out in the shed!!

wobblygong

Street Tracker
It has come to my attention that these days, beer is much cheaper than gasoline.
Drink, don't drive !

Unfortunately, I'm off the grog at the moment. With all the tablets they've got me taking, (1) I rattle when I walk and (2) alcohol exacerbates the side effects of the meds. So, it's water or juice.
On the subject of water...if you buy the bottled water from say, a gas station, you can pay around $2 for a 250ml bottle....that's $8 per litre...Shit, I'll drink water from the faucet thank you!

B06Tang;Imagine filling up your C-5 sitting out in the shed.[/QUOTE said:
What I've been doing lately is, every 2 weeks, I put $50 worth of fuel in my Subaru and fill the Bonnie's tank whch usually takes $15 to fill from empty.
I use the Subaru around town only if I need to carry things like supermarket shopping or large items. Otherwise I use the bike or I walk.
As long as we don't do a trip to Sydney (260 kms south of us), the $50 worth of fuel lasts 2 weeks, sometimes longer.
My wife and I both have a Seniors Card and a one way ticket to Sydney on the train costs us $2.50 each and we don't have to worry about parking in the city.

This is a personal Economic Observation that works for my wife and me in the present economic climate that exists here in this country at this time.

I realise everybody's circumstances are different, economies differ from country to country and the natural disasters which have occurred recently have had a HUGE affect in the plights of individuals (and economies). I feel for those people but their suffering drives the point home to me that no matter what hardships one may be experiencing, there is always someone worse off than you.

A wobbly aside (maybe it could be called a wobblyside)...quite a few years ago, I drove a Jeep Cherokee with the 6 cylinder Chrysler Hemi motor. Great 4WD! Probably the best 4WD I've ever had, especially for beach driving. Heaps of grunt and could pass anything on the highway, except a gas station.
The Jeeps ravenous thirst prompted me to investigate the possiblity of converting it to Dual Fuel (LPG and gasoline). I was told by a reliable convertor that the Jeep's computer was too "smart" and would not accept running on LPG. I could replace the computer for a "dumb" unit but that would bump the cost up substantially. I then looked at trading the Jeep in for a more economical vehicle but the best trade-in price I could get was around $6000. It was insured for $16,000. I decided to dwell on it for a while.
12 months later, fate stepped in and my wife rolled the Jeep twice when she was struck in the rear nearside corner by a woman in a Nissan. (A classic pit manoeuvre) Thankfully, my wife was unhurt but the Jeep was totalled. It was written off by the Insurance company and I received a cheque for $16,000 a week later. Enter the Subaru Outback.

Cheers,
Rod

Kirkus51

Hooligan
last time I checked, the gas was $3.65 or so a gallon. I drive a Cabrio and I don't drive that much so I'm more concerned about evaporation than mileage. Now I don't really pay attention to the mileage on the Bonnie, but there's only been one time I spent 10 bucks on gas for the thing.

Now for economy of time, the Bonnie is crap. I did my usual run for cigs at the local gas n sip, a mile away and I'm being generous. Oddly when I'm on the Bonnie I tick off right at ten miles getting home. Funny how that works.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Now for economy of time, the Bonnie is crap. I did my usual run for cigs at the local gas n sip, a mile away and I'm being generous. Oddly when I'm on the Bonnie I tick off right at ten miles getting home. Funny how that works.

Holy shit...I thought I was the only one with this problem! I will often make a 5 mile trip to get something and when I return my odometer will read 100 miles. I don't know what the hell is going on but I think Triumph is using some crap odometers!!!!!!!:d:scooter:

koifarm

Hooligan
And all this time

Holy shit...I thought I was the only one with this problem! I will often make a 5 mile trip to get something and when I return my odometer will read 100 miles. I don't know what the hell is going on but I think Triumph is using some crap odometers!!!!!!!:d:scooter:

I'd been wondering at that phenomena, I was beginning to think my Odometer was screwy as well, also this has resulted in the "right hand turn syndrome" that is if you only make right hand turns going somewhere and back, the mileage sometimes piles up exponentially thus a one or two mile run turns into a good 50 miles..
And yet another problem, sometimes when riding I tend to blank when I come to an intended right hand turn which would lead to a shorter way home and instead find myself saying "Damn, I missed that turn" and am forced to go a longer way.
I dunno, it's just a mystery...:beer:

Sunday, MLW and I jumped on our bikes to go get a burger. When we got back, there was 170+ more miles on the odometers. Sure was enjoyable though.