Electrical wiring question

strokerlmt

Probably a silly question, if I take for example the front brake light switch or the kick stand switch and follow the wiring back to the source and remove it completely will the rear brake circuit still function or am I interupting some circular wiring issue.
Thx in advance
LMT

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Are you saying you don't want the brake light to come on when you grab the front brake?

for the sidestand switch, you'd need to close the circuit somewhere or your bike will be kinda impossible to ride. whenever you put the bike in gear, it will shut off.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
+1 on TC's response. Yes, the rear brake light switch would still work (they are in parallel, not in series). As far as the kick stand switch goes, there are several 'safety' switches on the bike. If you want to defeat one of them, you would have to trace the wiring back and put a jumper across the connections - not always possible. You could trace things and defeat ALL of the 'safety' switches in a single jumper (I think).

Fun, huh? :eeek:

strokerlmt

+1 on TC's response. Yes, the rear brake light switch would still work (they are in parallel, not in series). As far as the kick stand switch goes, there are several 'safety' switches on the bike. If you want to defeat one of them, you would have to trace the wiring back and put a jumper across the connections - not always possible. You could trace things and defeat ALL of the 'safety' switches in a single jumper (I think).

Fun, huh? :eeek:

Thx TC and FOOT........
What I am trying to do is modify the stock harness instead of starting from new. IE ...I don't need the kick stand wiring...I am old school....I don't need someone to tell me my stand is down. I always use both brakes so why the front brake lite switch. etc etc...simplifying things.
I am also re wiring my see though frame and all the electrics are moving to under the seat including start button, kill switch, key, horn, relays, fuses, battery and rectifier.
More soon
LMT

LMT

HayMike

Scooter
LMT, I did what you want to do. First learn the stock wiring diagram from the manual, then take all the tape off the harness and match each wire to the diagram. This is a lot harder than it seems. Once you know what everything is and does, it will be easy to remove a lot of wire, some connections, and a few parts. You will have to make several reconnections, so make sure to have very good connectors, crimpers, and a heat source. I used crimp, solder and seal connectors from Del City. Give yourself plenty of downtime. Good luck.
Mike

strokerlmt

LMT, I did what you want to do. First learn the stock wiring diagram from the manual, then take all the tape off the harness and match each wire to the diagram. This is a lot harder than it seems. Once you know what everything is and does, it will be easy to remove a lot of wire, some connections, and a few parts. You will have to make several reconnections, so make sure to have very good connectors, crimpers, and a heat source. I used crimp, solder and seal connectors from Del City. Give yourself plenty of downtime. Good luck.
Mike

Thx Mike....I have an extra harness and it is stripped and laid out. What a bundle.....
LMT

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I slimmed down my harness last winter. Went with a Motogadget M-unit so that I can eventually pickup some Joker Jx hand controls and momentary switches... I spent hours pouring over the haynes manual and Triumph wiring diagrams. Study, Study, Study... it was worth it. Best of luck

Oh and never ever cut more than one wire at a time...

strokerlmt

Hey thx all....the harness is draped on my frame and I have been slippin and sliddin the bits to where they need to be. What makes me wonder is that with NOT a whole lot of mods I am gettin and box full of wire and connectors that do not seem to be important. in other words you can take the bike apart and have your harness , much lighter, and put her back together again. Why make the harness so bigggggggg in the beginning?
LMT