helmet cams?

phil

Street Tracker
The old lady said I could buy a helmet cam for fathers day? I saw some knock offs, on ebay and I've checked out the "gopro naked" on the gopro web site, whats the difference? Is the gopro one that much better? they seem to have some good reviews. Any advice gentlement? sorry about some of the typeo's we just got a new computer and I haven't figured out the spell check yet..lol..:cheers:

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I don't have any expierence with any of the other brands of inexpensive cameras, but the gopro stuff I've used works extremely well. Some of the smaller TV shows actually use them for in car stuff, and other shots during races.

The old lady said I could buy a helmet cam for fathers day? I saw some knock offs, on ebay and I've checked out the "gopro naked" on the gopro web site, whats the difference? Is the gopro one that much better? they seem to have some good reviews. Any advice gentlement? sorry about some of the typeo's we just got a new computer and I haven't figured out the spell check yet..lol..:cheers:

My experience with GoPro.... Don't scrimp and make sure you get HD. I sure wish I did. GoPro is very user friendly right out of the box.

Ive had GoPros for quite a while and here's what I can tell you:

Get the HD.

Use either Patriot or Kingston Class 4 16GB cards. Every other class is unstable. PNY brand cards can be wishy washy.

They now make an LCD screen for it. If you plan on doing a lot of helmet cam vids its definately worth getting.

Get the Helmet Hero HD to fill your needs. You'll most likely use the sticky mounts. Maybe order extras. The suction cup mount is pretty good too--but the suction cup mount is included in their Motorsport Hero package.

Keep a charger handy...Recording can drain the battery relatively quickly.

Vibrations can unexpectedly shut off the camera. Be sure to mount it on a place with minimal vibration.

If somehow your last video or any of you video doesnt seem like it will upload on your computer, record a short clip. I dont know why this happens, but this is the fix.

They came out with a 3D version but I heard editing for it is a pain.

Dont hesitate to ask me any questions you may have

evil knievel

Scooter
old lady

I can remember my dad calling mom "the old lady" to his friends. Mom heard this and she really took a chunk out of dad. She said its the most disrespectful thing you could ever say about a person you love. I agree.

jphickory

Banned
I can remember my dad calling mom "the old lady" to his friends. Mom heard this and she really took a chunk out of dad. She said its the most disrespectful thing you could ever say about a person you love. I agree.

That made me laugh! From your profile I see that you are young man. Good for you for caring about respect and manners. Gives me hope for the future.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak

I used to work for a guy that would on occasion introduce his wife (his third) as "my current wife".

Surprise surprise she's no longer his current wife. :)

phil

Street Tracker

sorry, for any disrespect..

phil

Street Tracker
Ive had GoPros for quite a while and here's what I can tell you:

Get the HD.

Use either Patriot or Kingston Class 4 16GB cards. Every other class is unstable. PNY brand cards can be wishy washy.

They now make an LCD screen for it. If you plan on doing a lot of helmet cam vids its definately worth getting.

Get the Helmet Hero HD to fill your needs. You'll most likely use the sticky mounts. Maybe order extras. The suction cup mount is pretty good too--but the suction cup mount is included in their Motorsport Hero package.

Keep a charger handy...Recording can drain the battery relatively quickly.

Vibrations can unexpectedly shut off the camera. Be sure to mount it on a place with minimal vibration.

If somehow your last video or any of you video doesnt seem like it will upload on your computer, record a short clip. I dont know why this happens, but this is the fix.

They came out with a 3D version but I heard editing for it is a pain.

Dont hesitate to ask me any questions you may have

cool, man I'll send you a p.m when I decided what to buy. thanks for all your help
:cheers:

Ninja K

Two Stroke
Part of my job is head of video production for my company and I hate the Go Pro LOL.
I've used all sorts of still and video cameras and nothing drives me more nuts than a Go Pro. I bought one because I saw their ads all over the place and because the sample video I have seen online is great. However there are so many things about it that I hate, for example:

- Shape. Not very aerodynamic
- Interface - Only 2 buttons to retrieve 20 or so functions.. The LCD screen looks like something out of the 80's and it takes some time to figure it all out. Make sure to keep that manual handy!
- It only works inside the plastic housing. This makes the thing about 20% bigger. It will also rattle in there a bit so you need to put some sort of shim in there to keep the rattle noise down
- The mounting hardware - I don't even use it. I ended up buying ram mounts so I can get some decent angles. They use very non traditional hardware that isn't compatible with anything else. It doesn't even have a 1/4" screw which is standard on almost any camera.
- The files don't work natively in Final Cut Pro so I have to transcode them to do some editing.
- The record light is on the front. When I have the camera pointed away from me, I have no idea if it's recording.
- The screen is 80 bucks and will drain your battery in 15-20 minutes.
- it's difficult to start and stop the camera while riding.

That being said it does create some nice looking video, especially in 1080P. The 60P feature works really well but I wish there was some control over shutter speed.

There are some other models of camera out there that have much better features. I really like the drift innovation stealth. It's got a screen, it's aerodynamic and comes with a remote contol that you can strap to your wrist

http://driftinnovation.com/

Last edited:

phil

Street Tracker
thanks ninja k. Are ther any other cameras I could look at that you could suggest, if your on a budget to.?

wobblygong

Street Tracker
thanks ninja k. Are ther any other cameras I could look at that you could suggest, if your on a budget to.?

Phil, have you looked at the Contour HD cameras?
I don't have one but like you, I am shopping around. The Cnet reviews seem to lean towards the Contour over the Gopro. Ninja K's input appears to be spot on and consistent with some reviews I have read, thanks Ninja.

What I do like about the Contour is its rugged aluminium construction and the lazer spotting lights. Looks the goods IMHO. Price is comparable with Gopro, a few extra dollars maybe but might be worth the few extra bucks.

wobbly

Grassy53

Scooter

Sorry for the thread hijack.....
When I was growing up (in Australia) it used to be that your mother was referred to as "the old cheese" and your father was "the old man" Neither was considered disrespectful, just how it was. Next generation it seems to have changed to just "the olds". Gotta say I dont take offence to being called an old bastard, as long as it is said in the right spirit.:up:

JRMSR

Scooter
I'm working on getting my wife to buy me one for my birthday. We'll see how that plays out. This one I hope Oregan Scientific ATK9K.

ATCACCS_lg.jpg

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

Last edited: