Running - in

Hello Forum,
What is the correct way to run your new bike in.Long steady rides on the motorway, or riding around town going up and down the gears.
Badcompany.

DIRK

750cc
the tighter, twister the better to break you in with. up to rpm range up and down the gears. flog it and enjoy!

PieMan

Two Stroke
+1 Dirk. For the first 100-200 miles up and down the gear box giving some full throttle blasts, but allowing it to cool down between blasts. After 200 miles, ride it like you stole it and the engine will love you for it.

T100JIP

Scooter
Gents,

I have usually believed in the "ride it like you stole it" philosophy, until now.

In the past I have shown little mercy on bikes or performance cars when new. They seems to run well afterwards. My T100 has just under 300 miles now, never over 4500 rpm, no full throttle blasts, etc etc, just like the manual (written by the folks that designed this machine) says to. Last night I took it on the highway for a modest speed run. Maybe 4-5 miles at 65-70 mph. Never went over 4500 rpm. I was impressed with the 70 mph roll-on response! It has a very useful mid range. Though, when I got back on the 45mph road and came to a stop sign, I noticed it was hot, I mean hotter than it seemed it should be. It exhibited no unusal caracteristics at all, ran smooth and responsive. Just kinda hot in my opinion. Ambient outside temperature was around 60 degrees F. I am now thinking the "ride it like you stole" attitude may be better served after the factory recommended break-in procedure. This motor is still tight, it stops instantly when the ignition it turned off. Just an observation, I'm sure everyone has there own way of runnin' one in. I think I'll follow the manual, these modern motors are built with much tighter tolerances that the bikes of old. My BSA uses 20W50 oil. I don't think that would even flow through this Triumph motor. Just my 2 cents..T100JIP

Bonniebret

Rocker
I've hear from more than one old mechanics to ride new bikes and ones with rebuilt motors like your going to ride it normally. No special treatment or babying.

T100JIP

Scooter
Bonniebret,

I am an old mechanic and machinist, motorcycle restorer too. I also have heard the flog it, ride it hard etc etc...but...knowing what is going on inside a brand new motor, especially a modern one with very close fitting moving parts....well, I think I'll trust the people who designed it to know what they're talking about. It's not rocket science, the parts wear-in together, they have more friction and heat until they do. Little pieces of bearing material, aluminum, steel etc are collecting in the filter. I think it is easy to see that the motor will be cooler and will rev easier AFTER these little pieces rub against each other a while. Commonly refered to as the break-in period. I can see no advantage to ignoring this advised procedure. It may speed up the bedding-in process, at the risk of overheating or worse. But in the end, once it's broke-in, it's broke-in. The whole idea is not to cause any damage until it is. If I'm missing something here, I surely am open to correction. Safe and Long Riding Mates...T100JIP

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
My $.02...

Since others have posted their opinions, I'll put mine up as well.

I've used this basic procedure as long as I can remember, and never had any engine failures or other troubles on a new vehicle.

1. FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED LIMITATIONS FOR THE FIRST 100-150 MILES
- No full-throttle operation
- No high-RPM operation
- HEAT-CYCLES (start, warmup, ride 10-15 miles, stop, cool off, repeat)

Then, thereafter UP TO 500 MILES:
2. Gradually increase both throttle position and RPM
- FEEL the engine's response (she'll tell you if it's not okay!)
- No sustained WFO running
- Extend the heat-cycle duration

AT ~500 MILES:
3. Change oil and filter to the brand/type you'll be using in the future
- Stay with the generally regime of 'feeling' the engine response; but in general ride it the way you intend to ride it.

A related anecdote...

A friend bought two brand new bikes (this isn't recent; but the technology was very similar to the air-cooled Triumph twins today), and put them through break-in two different ways. One bike he followed the manufacturers recommendations to the letter, the other he did essentially as above. At 1000 miles (the end of the manufacturers break-in period) he ran both bikes on the same dyno at the same time. The results were pretty telling. The bike which was treated per the manufacturer's instructions was DOWN 8% in peak power, and a couple percent in peak torque. That bike also felt tight at higher RPM.

So there ya go...

As always, YMMV :D

LA_Geezer

Scooter
T100 - good post and sound advice.

+1

I'll add, though, that I use 20W50 Castrol MC oil in my '11 Speedmaster, so, T100, I wouldn't be concerned about the thickness of the oil since the dealer put it in there AND the owner's manual condones it.

I have not run the gears hard yet since I have only 600 miles on the bike. I have had it up to 80 MPH a few times, but only for short spurts.