Uni Pod Filters

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I know that the general filter used is the black foam / chrome end filter since it's offered in the 2 1/8" which we need... But I dig the red filters for some reason. Anyone use them? They only offer 2" and 2 1/4". Is the 1/8" really a make or break deal since it's being clamped?

I lost my left k&n today on interstate. I guess I knocked it loose while changing main jets yesterday. Decided to try out pods after reading on them. I'll still have all the airflow I need and better particle filtration. Louisiana is always so damn dirty anyway, won't hurt.
podkits_lg.jpg

dualstage_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Get the filters without the chome cap on the end. The ones that are all foam have more surface area and flow more. Carlos at TPUSA has the hook up on big grey UNI filters.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Get the filters without the chome cap on the end. The ones that are all foam have more surface area and flow more. Carlos at TPUSA has the hook up on big grey UNI filters.

That was my thoughts on not wanting the chrome end caps and wanting the red ones. I didn't see the grey all foam.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I was thinking of eventually doing the see-through mod. I love the look of the air-filters sticking off and thought the red would look sick. I saw that they have water-proof covers for the filters. Are they worth anything or do they just inhibit airflow?

mikenva

Rocker
the red ones are the same filter as the all gray foam ones the red cover slips off.The red cover hurts air flow alittle .

ggRAT

Street Tracker
I've had good results using the Uni Pod UP4229AST and Outerwears 20-2449 pre-filters. The pre-filters provide additional weatherproofing and as Mike said, they probably restrict the airflow a little, but it's very little.

Attachments

• SVGA1.jpg
    SVGA1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SVGA4.jpg
    SVGA4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0

mikenva

Rocker
You dont need any covers if you run side covers,I have rode mine when it was raining so hard I had water running off my boots with no troubles.

drlapo

Hooligan
UNI makes angled filters too
makes it easy to clear the frame
I have them on my 79 T140 with the red outer covers

drlapo

Hooligan
I've found the Outerwears inhibit air flow quiet a lot. When I removed mine the bike ran stronger.

the outer filters on my Uni's are much courser than the green inner filters and seem to only inhibit the ingress of large insects and small birds

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I almost went angled but could only find them without covers for snowmobiles, they specified no use in dirt areas.. I'll be running with sidecovers for a while anyway. Maybe just buy some waterproof covers if I do the lithium battery and fusebox / wiring relocation like Skidmark. I think that see-through look is killer.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
Pods with sidecovers in torrential rain is bad. Tried an tested :eek:wned: Didn't know they made covers, will be investing and keeping under the seat :up:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
If I run with no sidecovers and put the waterproof covers on the uni filters, will the airflow still be inhibited? Seems like the added airflow over the filters from eliminating the sidecovers would counter any harm the covers do.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Guys,

I'm sure anything, including oil, that we "wrap" our foam filters in will have some affect on airflow, but it is really quite minimal. A dyno probably wouldn't even reveal a 1/2 hp difference. I keep the Outerwears' on my bike ALL the time. No problems. An oxygen moleclue (O) is a very small molecule compared to a water molecule (H2O)...right?

GREG

Here's some text from the Outerwears' website:

Founded over 28 years ago, Outerwears was created to fulfill a desperate need to keep the Air filter and engine clean during off road racing.

Racers and engine builders were experiencing loss of horsepower and engine damage due to sand, dirt, and other debris prematurely packing (clogging) the filter and often passing through the filter into the engine. Filters loading up with dirt meant loss of horsepower and in many cases loss of a race. Race crews were noticing severe engine damage due to dirt entering into the engine. Thus, a true need for a product designed to keep out additional dirt without interfering with airflow was necessary.