Kickin' The Black Dog

wobblygong

Street Tracker
I kinda dropped off the radar and into a black hole since January when I found out the radiation treatment I had in 2009 to cure my aggressive prostate cancer apparently did not work and my PSA levels began to rise alarmingly. Bone scans taken last week have confirmed my fears and have shown that the cancer has metastisised to my bones and lymph nodes. Funnily enough, this revelation did not push me deeper into depression but I find myself climbing out of the hole and kickin' the black dog up the arse. Knowing what you've got and where it is, is a hell of a lot better than not knowing. The next phase of my treatment has started and I'm confident it will delay the cancer's growth and give me some good years.

I figured one of the first things I'll do is log back onto NBR and catch up on what's been posted for the past 8 months. One of the first things I noticed was "where have all the Aussies gone?" I didn't take me long to work out the answer to that. Mmmmm....SAD, guys, SAD!

Never mind, I've got a life to live. I've made some life long friends, both here and overseas, through this forum and they will remain my friends for as long as I live. I hope to see those friends again soon during my impending travels.

My new mantra: "Some things don't matter much, most things don't matter at all".

Peace & good luck,
Wobbly

Well mate after our phone conversation an hour or two ago I went to the garage and worked on my new project for a while then decided to come in for lunch and have a look at NBR. Who was on top of the list of unread posts but you. So it's good luck to you and we will have lunch and a beer as discussed soon, your call about time and place.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Welcome back, man! You WERE missed. Sorry to hear about what's going on but I'm glad to hear you've got a great attitude. That's 90% of it anyway. I think the rest is faith. Cheers, mate!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Rod,

Goddammit why does it always seem to be the nicest people who get this kind of crap?!! Don't trust the doctors and do much research on your own.

As for the other misunderstanding you referred to, for the life of me I don't understand people, but I know I can't change anyone's mind either. So I try to change my own. ;-) I've been reading much on Buddhism lately to compliment my own Christianity and your mantra really says it perfectly.

We are just recovering from a bitter bitter winter here in the beautiful Hudson Valley- yesterday I put my saddlebags on, and got a new battery for the wifes' bike. We will be riding up past Minnewaska Saturday in fact , right past the Lodge where you stayed and up into the Catskills. As a matter of fact all next week I am working in Minnewaska doing soil tests for a big proposed state campground at the base of the mountain.Its half a mile from the Minnewaska Lodge. I'll post some pics.

Best wishes man, really and get out on the bike. It will do much good.

Sal

Last edited:

T-boy

Rocker
Wobbly: So sorry to hear your news, but I love your new mantra. As Sal said, "now get out and ride"!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Just caught this -

I hope to see those friends again soon during my impending travels.

I'll buy us all dinner at The Gilded Otter!

mark66

TT Racer
Sorry to hear of your black dog Wobbly but your attitude is infectious. Keep kickin' it's arse. :cheers:

Mark

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Cheers mate. If or when you need a good laugh, come on back around I'm sure the nutso bunch o folks we got here can take care of that. . .either that or there is always the babes on bikes thread!

Nick Morey

Rocker
Well, I missed all the Aussie drama, but it's good to see you back here, Wobbly! Keep the positive thoughts...

Life's journey isn't to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy sh*t... What a Ride!!!", but I think you know that already. ;)

:cheers:

Last edited:

badda_bing

Two Stroke
wobbly, sorry to hear about your illness. But it can be beat. You can do it. Remember the words of Buddha "Nothing is permanent". That saying has gotten me through the last 6 months. Keep us posted. All good mojo headed your way.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Love your attitude Wobbly!! As Sal mentioned, don't put all your faith in doctors. Look at the unconventional. You never know what will work until you try.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Fellas, I'm completely blown away by your kind and encouraging thoughts and wishes. Thanks guys!! The good vibes are pouring through the ethernet and have given me new strength. Too may roads to travel before I throw the towel in.

Sal, I hear what you're sayin mate. I'm very fortunate to have one of the leading guys in the land, Professor Jim Denham, as my oncologist and I trust his diagnosis. Besides, he's stuck his finger up my bum so many times, I think we're engaged. Every time he does it, I keep looking around to make sure he hasn't got a smile on his face and both his hands clasped behind his head.

At the moment, I'm taking beetroot juice, guava juice, cranberry juice, and some foul smelling concoction from the floor of the jungles of western Sumartra or some nearby exotic land. It has to be strained first to remove the black toenails. LOVERLY! Turns my wee bright yellow and my sh.t black.

Meditation's good!!

I'll hold you to that dinner Sal, but let us buy the wine. At the moment, we're looking at this time next year, your early spring. The Gilded Otter, is that the pub we went to in New Paltz?

I must admit I am slightly concerned the Aussie connection to NBR is under threat. Dude, I for one, would be extremely disappointed if that happened but as you said, this is your site and you should do what you feel is best.

Personally, I have no opinion on the matter. The only Cam Grind I know is a Kiwi guy, runs a little coffee shop down Coogee Beach in Sydney. Best capaccino in the Eastern Suburbs.
All I know is 99.99% of us are good guys..wherever we call home.

Cheers,
Wobbly

nohawk

Rocker
Wobbly, you have the best attitude and the best wit of anyone Ive never known! My bet is you will beat the crap outta cancer!!

BobM

Two Stroke
I hope how ever much time you can beg borrow or steal, you spend it truely living life for all she's got to give you.