Premium gas?

cycleddie

Scooter
I'm not sure if someone told me to run 93 octane in my Bonnie or I just thought it up! Yeah, I'm getting to be that age... Anyone have any opinion on 93 octane being necessary or will my 03 790cc bonnie run just fine on 87. I've been running 93 and would like some advice before going to 87.
Thanks!!

northcountry

Two Stroke

Always used 87 in my 03, no problems. Few stations here carry the alky free gas, so will be going that route though. Price a bit more, but better mileage, so a bit of a trade off. Also been using the alky free gas in the chain saw and snowblower.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Your '03 should be just fine on 87 regular. That said, I run premium. I like it and IMHO the bike does too. I don't hesitate to use the best tires and high-dollar synthetic oil, so why not?

My owner's manual says 89 octane for my 2008 Bonnie. I have used 89 and 91 octane. My "but dyno" can't tell the difference.:d Mpg is the same with either grade.

BobM

Two Stroke
Every fourth or fifth tank I'll give the Bonnie 91, but normally its 87. I don't want her spoiled.
Runs fine with either. I'm glad she's not finicky.
The Versys only uses 91, thats all my son used to put in it. However, at over 4 bucks that shits gonna change, I don't care what Kawasaki recommends.

koifarm

Hooligan
You can get alcohol free gas at marine locations, do a search and you'll find it....obviously you need a pump not on the end of a dock but you can carry a gas can and get it that way.

There's no point to run high octane gas in a Bonnie unless you like wasting money. It's not any better for the bike and it doesn't make it run any better. Run the cheapest swill you can.

Skeeter

Rocker
hmmmmmm, i only run 93. have ran lower grades before but thought the thruxton needed 93. good to know

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
My manual says minimum 89 octane. The few times I have put 87 in it, the bike has run fine, but I usually think it not worth the risk for a few cents.

drlapo

Hooligan
anything more than 89 is a total waste of $, all you are doing is putting more unneeded additiives into the engine to gum up the valves
you don't need the octane so it has not benefit

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
If its cool weather. or just putting around I wouldn't worry about it too much, but for high speed and/or high temps I am a little more worried about burning something up..

T-boy

Rocker
Have always run 89 octane in my '07 per the owners manual, but with gas prices the way they are am thinking about putting 87 in the tank. Saving every cent will certainly help the budget.

koifarm

Hooligan
Another thought on running more than 87/9 is the possible heat build up in engine and pipes....gotta love that blue.....

pepper

Street Tracker
I've always used the highest octane fuel sold at the pump in my bikes and always will. It's never hurt a one of them. I calculated my fuel cost per mile, based upon my most recent MPG average, and came up with .076 cents for regular and .080 cents for premium. I'm not so tight that I'm worrying about the less than half a cent per mile differance and, after a quick glance around the room, it's apparent that I've spent a hell of a lot more money on other stuff.

According to Wikipedia:

"Most fuel filling stations have two storage tanks (even those offering 3 or 4 octane levels): those motorists who purchase intermediate grade fuels are given a mixture of higher and lower octane fuels. "Premium" grade is fuel of higher octane, and the minimum grade sold is fuel of lower octane. Purchasing 91 octane fuel (where offered) simply means that more fuel of higher octane is blended with commensurately less fuel of lower octane, than when purchasing a lower grade. The detergents and other additives in the fuel are often, but not always identical."

Kappy

Two Stroke
I do it as Pepper - always the highest octane available at the pump, preferably 98.
Here in Dubai fuel is so cheap that fuel consumption is no issue - honestly I have no glue what the costs per liter is at the moment. In average I believe I pay 3 $ for 15 liters ? But again, I am not sure........

Kappy

RumRunner

Street Tracker
If its cool weather. or just putting around I wouldn't worry about it too much, but for high speed and/or high temps I am a little more worried about burning something up..

Ummm Just so you know when it's cool out your engine is going to be running leaner so if you're putting crap in when it's cool and get on it if you're on the edge that is when you're more likely to have an issue.

mark66

TT Racer
"Most fuel filling stations have two storage tanks (even those offering 3 or 4 octane levels): those motorists who purchase intermediate grade fuels are given a mixture of higher and lower octane fuels. "Premium" grade is fuel of higher octane, and the minimum grade sold is fuel of lower octane. Purchasing 91 octane fuel (where offered) simply means that more fuel of higher octane is blended with commensurately less fuel of lower octane, than when purchasing a lower grade. The detergents and other additives in the fuel are often, but not always identical."

It's a fact, my buddy owns a gas station and has 2 tanks. One for 87 and one for 91. His mid grade 89 is an equal mix of the two tanks. So the 89 has to have the same additives as the 87 and 91, or at least some combo of them.

Skeeter

Rocker
guess ill be puttin lower grade in.. i did just install a inline fuel filter on the bike incase i get any AZ sand in the tank

Littlejoe

Scooter
The owners manual for my 09 Bonnie says 87. So that's what I run. Anything other than that is a waste of money.
I have 15k miles on the bike and have not any issues.