Predator Exhaust without Airbox removal?

scrib74

Scooter
If it isn't obvious yet, I recently got my first thruxton and so have plenty of questions.

Just got a call from the dealer that my Predator exhaust is in and wanted to get opinions about also getting the BC Airbox Removal kit, they're not far from where I live so I could maybe grab that tomorrow too. Hoping to have the new MAP loaded on Saturday morning (i believe it's the arrow 2-2 map?). If I don't do the airbox removal now, will it have to be remapped later on if I do remove it? Is it best to do the exhaust and airbox all at once? Also, I read somewhere on here that the airbox can be removed without removing the tire completely. Anyone have any experience with this?

What kind of performance difference will come from doing the airbox removal?

Thanks a whole hell of a lot!!

Easy13

Street Tracker
When I bought my carb'd '07 Bonneville, it had Preds on it, airbox intact, no jetting changes from stock. You could put on the Preds and do nothing further, though it'll run pretty lean; wouldn't leave it that way for long.

If you do both the exhaust and the airbox at more or less the same time, obviously you'll need a remap. Being a carb guy, I don't know for sure which map you'll need, but when it's all said and done, airbox, Preds and remap, you should be up to around 70 HP. A BIG jump.

IMHO, the easiest way to remove a stock airbox is by removing the seat, fender and rear wheel. It's not as tough as you'd think. At the risk of infringing upon Nike's copyright, Just Do It.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Do it all at the same time. Airbox, preds, map.

Call Nathan or Jamie at BA moto. www.ba-moto.com - they are in Long Beach, Gardengrove area. They can do it in a day at a fair price. Better work quality than the dealer.

doublecafe

Scooter
Hey Scrib,
Any updates on your ARK?
I'm in the middle of a DIY ARK and am having second thoughts that I should have gone with the kit.

scrib74

Scooter
I decided to wait on the ARK and see how I liked the predators alone. I guess I'm now waiting to see how your self removal goes! in researching I found a lot of good info in the forum about diy, though I didn't have the guts.

whyme

TT Racer
The airbox comes out with seat, fender, battery box and shocks off. Jack it up really high and let the wheel hang. If I recall correctly, I had to remove the airbox side panel to get it out without chopping it up. Takes time but it is doable.

sgt brad

Scooter
the homemade ark gives one thing that the commercial ark's don't, a huge place to store all of your small stuff. i put my insurance and registration card in a ziplock bag and stuffed it back in where the aircleaner used to be. it's nice to have a little trunk to hide things. plus buying a couple of pod filters and doing it yourself saves a bunch of money. i just thought i'd mention the idea.

ratlab

Scooter
think about a powercommander v if you really want to dial your mods in then the tank has to come off also-that airbox is gigantic-it really chokes thinks up and the gains are worth it

I too just bought an EFI thruxton. Being a semi-old guy, I really don't need more power than stock. The dealer did a re-map, but which they said contemplated the Preds that I had them install---- but no other powertrain mods. I am pretty content. The goal was just to get some badd-er sound out of the bike. Mission accomplished in that sense.

I do have a minor flat spot from about 2100- 2500 rpms, but not enough to routinely notice or be bothered. Other than that- gotta love this bike and that sound.

JTIrwin27

Scooter
I also just purchased a 2011 EFI thruxton. Thanks for asking this question because I am new to the Triumph brand and dont know much about them other than I love the style and ride of my Thrux. Cant wait to get mine done.

ratlab

Scooter
i had the 2-1 arrow and triumph map-when you do the bc airbox and air injection removal power commander and have it dynoed with your own map it wakes this motor up-its not just the power gains its the rideability-i also did tpusa cams but i can roll on in 5th gear at 800 rpm smoothly to redline with no flat spots and much power -when you use generic maps you realize how messed up your fueling is -triumph maps suck -i really think if you don't do it right leave it stock-your not gaining anything but noise