Hella ECE Headlight installation…

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I didn’t plan on changing my headlight reflector as I was pretty happy with upgraded bulb and wiring harness which dramatically improved light. As a side note, I do believe that lighting is a weak point on many production bikes including our bonnies. Replacing the reflector in my case kind of just happened. For ’09 Triumph allegedly improved the reflector to the point of almost being decent…but its still a low buck item with plastic lens.
Mine cracked and not sure if I took a rock or if the plastic lens just cracked due to higher heat of 80/100W Wagner H4 bulb I run + Eastern Beaver wiring harness which pushes more current to the bulb.
HellaECEHeadlightCrackedLens.jpg

See my Eastern Beaver harness installation in the Project Zone if interested in improving your lighting.

Many talk to Daniel Stern and drink his koolaid…he knows lighting but there are other more cost effective sources for equivalent stuff he sells. Further, the Cibie headlight he recommends which is a good reflector to be sure…costs about $80 which is a lot to spend for a reflector and even for a good one. But…the Cibie which bolts fine to earlier Hinkley bikes is reported to be a problem beginning with EFI bikes….Cibie tabs requiring surgery with it never fitting quite right as some report.
Below is a picture of the receptacle retainer of the EFI bonnie. Perhaps some know if it looks different than earlier Hinkley bikes:
HellaECEHeadlightRetainerFront.jpg

So, I didn’t want the Cibie because it required surgery to make fit as many report and therefore I looked for something else. Hella is a well known company in lighting and they make a model 7” glass and reflector I wanted to try. Hella sells two similar units and I prefer the ECE or European versus DOT spec reflector because it clips the top of the beam to prevent blinding drivers. This is particularly good when running a high wattage bulb which I do and what many Europeans do as well and hence the ECE spec. DOT mandates lower wattage because the light pattern is more diffuse with ambient light blinding on coming drivers even if the light is correctly aimed if running higher wattage.

So the reflector/glass assembly I chose is: Hella ECE 7” HL79562 which is just over ½ the price of the Cibie unit. My bet is its as good or close enough to the Cibie. There is no comparison between the Hella reflector and the factory one…in materials, construction as well as light emission. I prefer a glass to plastic lens. There is one downside if this matters to you. There is no parking light hole in the Hella. This doesn’t matter to me but maybe a legal matter in Europe…not sure. I have never used the parking light feature on my bike.

Comparing the geometry of the clips that orient the light anglularly in the frame:
Stock receptacle clips:
HellaECEHeadlightStockReflectorClips.jpg

Hella receptacle clips:
HellaECEHeadlightReflectorClips.jpg

Notice the clips are similarly shaped but appear perhaps a bit taller on the Hella. This perceived difference does not affect its fit into the retainer. Unlike other receptacles, no surgery is required to make the Hella glass fit just like the factory unit to the EFI headlight. Better to be lucky than good. :)

Fit of glass to mating ring: It sandwiches line-to-line as shown same as factory glass:
HellaECEHeadlightwithRing.jpg

Lastly, pics of the light installed in the external headlight front ring. Also notice the standoff behind the glass that refracts the light. Also included is a pic in back. The bulb retainer is a better construction than the stock unit as well:
HellaECEHeadlightwithBezelSide.jpg

HellaECEHeadlightAssemblyFront.jpg

HellaECEHeadlightAssyRear.jpg

Since many have commented about the problem of fitting an upgraded glass to the EFI bikes in particular and who wants to pay $250 for an inferior reflector replacement...ridiculous...I thought I would show this installation to help others. Please note that it is possible my headlight is similar to earlier Bonnies. I believe this is unlikely but possible as inventory many times is exhausted on a running basis through model years. I hope the pics can be used to compare to what you have to remove any uncertainty about what will fit your light if you want to upgrade or yours becomes cracked.
Cheers.

Last edited:

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
+1 the Hella reflector is a huge step up from OEM. I got mine from www.rallylights.com

I've read a bunch of benz threads saying that the Hella has a narrower beam than the Cibie. I might try the (twice as expensive) Cibie if there is a next time.

S3C nice write up.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks for posting Chris. Very informative and nicely done.
Thanks Mark. Many have upgraded earlier Hinkley bonnies with aftermarket reflectors but the EFI bikes have been a problem so thought I would put this out there as the Hella glass was plug and play on my '09 bike and a fair value. I presume the Hella light will fit all model years.
Cheers.
Thanks 2monk. Lots of love for the Hella 7" from other bike brand owners. I got mine at the same place. Shipping was very fast.

Last edited:

MES

750cc
S3c,
I used the very same lamp setup and posted all the info on a thread a couple years ago.
I must say though that your thread has pretty pics and well done. :)

I use the PIAA extreme white 135/125 bulb. It puts out twice the lumins of stock. the Watt rating is the equivelent for old bulbs and it actually draws 72/67W.
135/125 IS NOT STREET LEGAL. PIAA also makes the same bulb in a 115/125 WHICH IS STREET LEGAL.

PIAA bulb are sold in 2 packs.
Hella 7" round Euro + bulb= $80.00
It's a good upgrade and I recommend it. At least 6 of my riding buddies use the same set-up and they are all stoked on it.

S3C, good job on all the write-ups you do. Your a real + on the forum.

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
did the same Hella swap; notice how much brighter the Hella looks..
DSC_0235%20%28Large%29.JPG

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
S3c,
I used the very same lamp setup and posted all the info on a thread a couple years ago.
I must say though that your thread has pretty pics and well done. :)

I use the PIAA extreme white 135/125 bulb. It puts out twice the lumins of stock. the Watt rating is the equivelent for old bulbs and it actually draws 72/67W.
135/125 IS NOT STREET LEGAL. PIAA also makes the same bulb in a 115/125 WHICH IS STREET LEGAL.

PIAA bulb are sold in 2 packs.
Hella 7" round Euro + bulb= $80.00
It's a good upgrade and I recommend it. At least 6 of my riding buddies use the same set-up and they are all stoked on it.

S3C, good job on all the write-ups you do. Your a real + on the forum.

Thank you MES. Funny how information is lost over time isn't it? Appreciate the comments about the bulb you use. I will have to look into it as no question the PIAA puts out more light then the more generic Wagner off road bulb I use.

Quite a few Hella users it appears...just took me a while to catch up with your guys. :)
Thanks Ivar.

MES

750cc
yeah, information is a perishable commodity. It's a rather common complaint so it's good that the info is in more than one spot. It just makes it easier to find. Nice thing about this fix is that the parts are a direct swap, easy to find and cheap.

I did all the research for a HID setup but desided to go with the Hella/PIAA setup instead. I'm lazy and didn't want to deal with the wiring and mini ballist.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
yeah, information is a perishable commodity. It's a rather common complaint so it's good that the info is in more than one spot. It just makes it easier to find. Nice thing about this fix is that the parts are a direct swap, easy to find and cheap.

I did all the research for a HID setup but desided to go with the Hella/PIAA setup instead. I'm lazy and didn't want to deal with the wiring and mini ballist.
I had HID on my last bike...installed it but the bike harness was prewired for it so it was easy to install. Although confounded like many from time to time, I like wiring so that isn't the reason I just upgraded the stock stuff and didn't go with HID on this bike. Truth is, I am a bit of a coward about night riding. I rarely do it. My girlfriend and I get caught on the bonnie at night from time to time but mostly by accident coming back from somewhere earlier in the day. Riding at night increases the risk for me anyway...maybe due to my rather poor eyesight. I am also semi phobic about deer. I ride out in the country and they are all over the place. I totaled a car a couple of years ago hitting one on the freeway of all things.
Ride safe.
PS: I also believe having a strong headlight helps being seen during the day and also at dusk.

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Wanted to add a note for alloyed wheel bonnie owners. Seems as though for some unexplained reason Triumph put a different headlight in the EFI bonnies with alloy wheels....perhaps 2010 T100's as well.
Part of the purpose of this thread was to show the headlight retainer which I have been told for my bike looks identical to older Hinkley bonnies. So if thinking about changing the glass, before you do, have a look inside the light to see if the backside looks anything like mine. If it doesn't, you will have to modify the new headlight housing to make it fit. I am glad I dodged this bullet and no idea why Triumph swam up stream and revised the housing...perhaps to make it harder to use an aftermarket light is all I can think of.

Wanted to add a note for alloyed wheel bonnie owners. Seems as though for some unexplained reason Triumph put a different headlight in the EFI bonnies with alloy wheels....perhaps 2010 T100's as well.
Part of the purpose of this thread was to show the headlight retainer which I have been told for my bike looks identical to older Hinkley bonnies. So if thinking about changing the glass, before you do, have a look inside the light to see if the backside looks anything like mine. If it doesn't, you will have to modify the new headlight housing to make it fit. I am glad I dodged this bullet and no idea why Triumph swam up stream and revised the housing...perhaps to make it harder to use an aftermarket light is all I can think of.

My parts list only goes up to 2009 but the part number for the retainer is 2700012-T0301 and is common to the following bikes:-

Adventurer
Bonneville & T100 (carb & EFI)
Bonneville SE
Legend TT
Thruxton (carb & EFI)
Thunderbird (including Sport)
Trident

If there has been a change it must have been for 2010.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
My parts list only goes up to 2009 but the part number for the retainer is 2700012-T0301 and is common to the following bikes:-

Adventurer
Bonneville & T100 (carb & EFI)
Bonneville SE
Legend TT
Thruxton (carb & EFI)
Thunderbird (including Sport)
Trident

If there has been a change it must have been for 2010.
Interesting. A lot of manufacturers are funny about running changes between model years...bikes end up different...particularly exported to different parts of the world. This is true of EFI bikes for example which appeared in Europe in model year 2008 and didn't hit the US until '09. Two owners I know...one with an '09 bonnie SE and one with a 2010 T100 have the different headlight. Seems to me I have heard other accounts of retrofit issues with '09 bikes as well. Perhaps this isn't a pervasive problem. I guess the best approach would be for EFI owners moving forward to compare the back of their headlight to the pictures in this thread to see if they have the revised light or the older style which is a lot easier to fit an aftermarket glass to. Thanks Aussie.

Chris
as usual, excellent article, I know in the Uk we have a number of 7 inch headlight suppliers, lucas , wipac, hella and possibly cibie but dont see them around as much for some reason - thinks now under valeo umbrella.
sidelight is required by law i beleive over here.
If i have the headlight off, will zap a photo and let you know what the EFI bonnie has.

cheers

Steve

Anyone have any info on this type of swap with a 2010 T100? I might try to make the switch but I am wondering how much I need to modify this thing to make it fit. Also, does anyone know how much of the integrity of the reflector is compromised by putting the parking light in the new hella reflector? I know I don't need the parking light but since I have one would it be worth it to drill a hole in the new reflector to install it?

This looks like a dead thread so I may be talking to myself.

Thanks for the reminder :)
did see a gadget on fleabay in the UK for enabling light to go off while pressing the starter button, but i digress.
Since triumph dont seem to use a normal available size headlamp e.g. 7 inch diameter, reflector/light unit it would be interesting to see what alternatives are around to suit.

Enfield produced a unit (TVS - Lucas) a unit smaller than 7 inches not sure if that would fit?)
Here in the UK and in Aus and NZ? we seem to ride on "otherside"of the road hence dip beam otherway :) ha ha ha - sorry.

Stevo

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I know I don't need the parking light but since I have one would it be worth it to drill a hole in the new reflector to install it?

I wouldn't bother. When I replaced my reflector with one that didn't have a hole for the parking light, I just left the light free inside the housing. I never turn it on so no big deal.

No real modifications needed for the Hella swap on my 2010 T100. Only had to cut a hole in the rubber boot with a box cutter. Huge difference at night.

Attachments

• IMG_2213.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0