Daytona 2011 Bike week

koifarm

Hooligan
Just checking in to see if anyone is headed down to Daytona this year. It starts today and runs through the 12th.
I'm headed to a sidecar show at the Daytona Flea and Farmers market on the 10th and likely on down to the Cabbage Patch either that day or the next....and for sure one day at Rossemeyers just to get some Harley influence and watch the burnout nonsense for a bit.

Ohio TT

Two Stroke
We've been here for about a week(Plant City,Port Charlotte,and Mt. Dora) visiting family and friends. Heading back to the floods tomorrow. Been great bike weather but it is back home in Ohio. Hope to get in some riding soon as it quits raining.

T-boy

Rocker
Funny you should bring up Daytona Bike Week...just happen to be wearing my 2003 Daytona Bike Week T-shirt today. The Flea & Farmers mkt sounds like a blast. Report back on anything interesting...m-m-m-kay?

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Y'know I've been to a few big bike events (neither Sturgess nor Daytona though) and have become a bit jaded with them. When I had my Beemer I went to BMOA's event in Colorado Springs and it was the most fun. Went to Laughlin when I had my FXRP (Still in the family) and had less fun. Took the Black on Emily's ride here in the Mile Hi and was totally unimpressed.

I guess I'm just a stick in the mud.

koifarm

Hooligan
Yep, I know what you mean Kirkus...I've been going to Daytona for almost forty years, back in the sixties it was an all week affair, driving down from Milwaukee at times and others getting on a train, bikes in a car, and riding that to Atlanta then driving on down with the bike. At that time there was no I 95 or I 75 so it was a rough ride. I moved to Fla in 69 over in the Tampa area and eventually worked for Lovengreen used parts, he got lots of tickets to short tracks and stuff and we all went and camped for the week.
I guess when I moved up into the Jacksonville area I slowed down some, generally going for three or four days. But, as you say, I kind of got burned out and for a few years did not attend at all.
Last six or seven years I pick and choose what to see, living in Saint Augustine, it's forty minutes to get there now.
The entire scene has changed dramatically with more and more traffic, more and more things to see and a huge traffic snarl everywhere, all that takes some of the fun out of it. The old days were always better, less crowded and you could still drive down main street instead of walk your bike like you have to now.
For many years I did pin striping in the Rat's Hole parking lot and was making enough to pay for the week.
I guess it's still in my blood though, and I enjoy some of the highlights these days.

DandyDoug

750cc
I used to love going to Daytona, started way back in the 70's , rode in the former light weight ( 250cc class), you could actually walk down main street back then and see real racers . Stayed at the same motel as KR and wrenched in the parking lot at night with the rest of the guys.
In the late 70's and early 80's ( rode a GS1000 and then a TZ750 Yamaha, very scary!!) .
Tried again in the 90's and thought it had turned in to a joke.
Last time I went ( 2007) it was only for the vintage races at the beginning of the week and a certain magazine was paying my expenses to help hawk their product.
I think about going every year, but since the AMA and AHRMA seem to be at each others throats again , I'll pass.
I can do without the posers and the loud pipes, thank you very much.
TV and the Rolex riders killed a great international event and turned it in to a silly expose'

koifarm

Hooligan
Looks like we both saw the same thing Doug, I guess the popularity of Daytona and the numbers of people wanting to come down for a vacation and ride a bike are changing things dramatically...just way too many damn people. Not that they don't deserve to be here, it just overtaxes the infrastructure.
Interesting about KR as well Doug, I always stayed at a little motel on North A1A called the Surfside Inn, it's still there, hanging in against the condo's being built around it, I knew everyone there, same crew year after year. The owner would always join in and have a cold brew and a joint with us as we cooked steaks on a little grill....and I remember knowing just about everyone hanging out at the Rat's Hole...
Not any more...I think the last time I rode Main Street was probably in the 90's when you could still get a vehicle down there. I do remember one year I tried to drive to the Rat's Hole with my truck and was blocked with only bike traffic allowed. That did it.

DandyDoug

750cc
Back then we stayed almost directly across from the track at a real run down Ramada Inn. There is a big shopping mall there now, but the old place had been there for years. Breakfast was always at the Volusia Diner, they had the oldest waitresses on earth, :w

I forget the actual year, but the story about KR and the launch of the rental cars into the ocean is true, I was there. That's all I can say about it under penalty of death from certain perpetrators. :lol:
Daytona was fun back then, the racers came from all over the world, hung out and raced hard, but had a blast. I was called upon to come to Tech insp and translate for the German speakers , a couple times as their interpretation of the safety rules and the AMA were sometimes different.

The 1% element was around but pretty much kept to themselves. We used to joke about how we could pay for our trip down from Michigan by fixing busted Harley's along I-75. Back then it was odd to see bikes being trailered as much as now unless they were race bikes.
Good times and great memories !!

koifarm

Hooligan
I recall one trip from Atlanta on down to Daytona, there were three of us, two Harleys and My Bonneville, it was early evening, we were in a small town north of Valdosta and stopped at a little filling station to gas up. As we unlimbered and stretched some, a big old local fellow in bib overalls walked out of the station carrying a double barreled shotgun....he suggested we move along and boy howdy, did we, with visions of Easy Rider running through our brains....shit...what fun.....

slowgator

750cc
Just returned from Bike Week. Harley and Honda were still setting up but got to see the new Triumphs; the new Tiger looks pretty cool. Made the scene at Froggy's and Dirty Harry's, saw a lot of pretties rolling by as usual. Always a lot of fun, but a day or two is plenty for me anymore. Went to the flea market; lots of good bargains there. Sorry I missed you Koi!

koifarm

Hooligan
Hey Slowgator, yep, sorry to miss you as well, I'm headed down Thursday (now 60% rain) for the sidecar rally....hope to get down Friday as well....cabbage patch...
Bit of a chilly ride today I'd guess....heard that 95 is still being closed at times due to smoke...big fires....I'll head down US1 to Rossemeyers then the interstate to the flea market exit....if it rains...shit...no sense in trying then...I'm a fair weather rider...lol...

slowgator

750cc
There was a group of motorcycle cops stationed in the median of US 1 right across from Rossmeyers... never seen so many mc cops hangin' out together...they even had a canopy set up...not sure what they were up to other than causing a huge traffic jam. Be careful. Pretty sure they were all riding new Beemers...

koifarm

Hooligan
Gotcha on that one Slowgator, they are there every year, big tie up is the stuff across the street from Ross...huge traffic jam coming from the Daytona side trying to get there..always a big tie up except if you're going south on the interstate, it's easy then...it's a bad intersection for sure, just have to go slow and easy...but tons of pedestrian traffic in addition to all the bikes....Ross...is in the right place for attracting interstate traffic but local bikes, especially during bike week, is an absolute Zoo...one of the reasons I prefer the Cabbage Patch, it's out in the country and no hassle to get in/out of...

koifarm

Hooligan
Had a nice day of it Thursday, went to the Flea market sidecar show, a bit chilly and wet but a few bedraggled folks were there. Massive traffic tie up though, not fun.
Went on over to Deland for the bike auction there at the University, a dozen gorgeous Triumphs were up for a "no reserve" auction today. I was glad to leave before that, I'd have gotten in deep shit buying something I have no business getting into... Saw bikes from the ridiculous to the sublime, a mixture of good and trash but fun. They were auctioning off miscellaneous parts and getting some ridiculous prices for junk. The Auction fever is not dead yet. I saw two books, nondescript manuals or such, go for $60...a whole batch of front fenders brought $230, probably worth $50.
Well worth attending for those of you who go next year.

slowgator

750cc
My riding buddy has the hots for the new Tiger, so we're taking a ride back in the morning to have a closer look at the Triumph tent. Maybe I'll have a ride on the new Tbird Storm; looks pretty cool in all black and it already has the 1700 kit installed. Will try to post some pics of the final day of Bike Week 2011.

slowgator

750cc
Good Try, but...

A brisk ride over to Daytona this morning for the final day of Bike Week... but unfortunately I think the final day was yesterday. As we approached Daytona we saw hundreds (maybe thousands) of bikes going the other way. My riding buddy and I thought "Good, less crowds..." but when we arrived at the track we found everyone was breaking down and leaving, like a tsunami was approaching, and found that Triumph was totally gone, so we couldn't get a ride on those demos. Bummer. My riding bud was hot for the new Tiger and I was looking for a ride on the new Tbird Storm... maybe next year. Lesson learned: don't wait for the final day to go. Glad I was there for the 1st day or 2 when the street scene on Main Street was other-worldly...

Parked at the track:

100_3373.jpg

100_3372.jpg

koifarm

Hooligan
Bummer Slowgator, sorry you missed the fun...it was brisk yesterday for sure...brrrr but still sunny and nice...
Been hearing the roar of northern bound harleys for the last day or so, even at three a.m. in the morning, and I'm a mile from the interstate. Talked to a friend of mine in Daytona, she said the noise is horrendous, having to listen to it for the last week, rumble of bikes coupled with sirens all day/all night...I can only imagine...
Taking a shot at entering the Concours D Elegance at World Golf, hope you can get over for that one, it's a fun day....I'm booking the Friday ride to downtown St. Augie just for shits and grins....includes a lunch at Harry's so it can't be all that bad. Should be some nice oldies in that ride....

slowgator

750cc
Bummer Slowgator, sorry you missed the fun...it was brisk yesterday for sure...brrrr but still sunny and nice...

Koi, had plenty of fun the 1st couple of days with my son, brother and nephew for our fathers/sons adventure. Rented the oceanfront condo and took a cab to and fro Main Street, if you get my drift; in no shape to ride the demos then. Returned yesterday prepared to do the demos but Triumph was already gone. Little cool, but great ride anyhow, had a great grouper sandwich at the Blackwater Inn in the forest on the way home. No doubt the Daytona locals are happy to have their city back!