New rider questions

Deek

Scooter
Lots of experience with motorcycles, very little with Bonnie specific things...

Q1: Tire pressure. The manual says 33 front and 38 rear. These are the stock Metz tires. Is anyone running anything different for a 200lb non-aggressive solo rider? What kind of mileage can I expect with these tires before replacement?

Q2: Chains. I hate lubing them, especially the mess they make afterward. Any suggestion on a non-greasy, sorta 'waxy' chain lube?

Q3: I have a center stand coming......how difficult is installation? Anyone paid a USA dealer to install it for them? Cost?

Thanks.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE
2009 BMW R 1200 RT
2006 BMW R 1200 RT <gone>
2007 Royal Star Venture <gone>
2007 V-Strom DL1000 <gone>
2006 VTX 1300R <gone>
2005 V* Classic <gone>

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Deek,
First off welcome to the club:
1) As far as tire pressures go everyone has a little different range depending on the feel they want, and how they like to ride. For me (and my Thruxton) I had to run more pressure in the stock Metzelers to get the feel that I wanted. From what I’ve seen most guys are in the 33 to 40 range up front, and 36 to 42 out back on average. And most get between 7K and 10K on those tires. At a little over 8K my front (rear had already been replaced) caused a little head shake which a new tire made go away.

2) For me the best lube I’ve found is the DuPont Teflon that you can pick up at your local Lowes. Here’s a link to a write up from a while ago. http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm I usually don’t have any issues with it getting to messy. I made two cardboard cutouts to around the sprocket and cover the rim/tire and just give it a quick spray when I get back from a ride. Doing it when it’s hot lets it absorb easier, and it won’t fling off once it’s dry. I have done it before a ride as well just giving it a few minutes to “set up” or whatever before taking off without any issues but I try to do when I’m done because I think it soaks in better…

3) No clue don’t have one. I just use a couple of 2” x 10” to sit the bike on when I’m servicing her.

RR

innominate

Street Tracker
I use the rec pressures. I'm ~180. I think I got 5-6krear 7-8k front outta my stock tires. Didn't care for em when it got wet out. I switched to avons after the Metz wore out

Can't help w the lube. I Use the dupont Teflon stuff you can find at lowes or HD. Don't remember which has it. I spray it on after a ride and let it sit over night. Usu dried by then.

Haven't done a Bonnie stand. But I think the hardest part is gettin the springs in place. Iirc it takes ppl about 20 min to get it done.

Last edited:

HepcatBob

Scooter
Innominate is correct about the spring on the center stand. That's the hardest part but it's not that hard. 20 to 30 minutes should do it.

As far as tire pressures go, on the stock Metz's, I ran 33 front and 40-41 rear. I got about 8k on the rear before it needed to be replaced. I went ahead and changed to the Avons on the front and rear. I know there are conflicting reports on here, but mine handles a lot better with them.

And welcome to club!

Last edited:
Lots of experience with motorcycles, very little with Bonnie specific things...

Q1: Tire pressure. The manual says 33 front and 38 rear. These are the stock Metz tires. Is anyone running anything different for a 200lb non-aggressive solo rider? What kind of mileage can I expect with these tires before replacement?

Q2: Chains. I hate lubing them, especially the mess they make afterward. Any suggestion on a non-greasy, sorta 'waxy' chain lube?

Q3: I have a center stand coming......how difficult is installation? Anyone paid a USA dealer to install it for them? Cost?

Thanks.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2009 BMW R 1200 RT
2006 VTX 1300R <gone>
2005 V* Classic <gone>

A1: I run those pressures even when I ride "aggressive" in the canyons (but more like pushing the bike's limits instead of my own...I normally ride/track my Daytona 675 in the advanced group). However Im now on Avon Roadriders AM26 and love them.

A2: +1 again on the Dupont Teflon Dry lube. Much cheaper and very clean. IMO one of the best discovered things for motorcyclist

A3: Dont know

KingBear

Hooligan
It's very simple to install, the most difficult part being installing the springs. Just follow the installation instructions, then when you get to step 12: "Hook the spring into its lug on the centre stand and locate the larger hole on the C-bracket to the spring retainer fitted in step 1." what you will actually do is hook the C-bracket to the retainer first, then loop a piece of rope or cord through the hook in the spring, pass the rope around the swing-arm, and use that to apply tension to the spring and hook it on the centre stand lug.

The instructions show just a single spring, but mine came with a dual spring (one inside the other) for extra tension. It was really hard to get the springs hooked, but the rest was easy. Since then I learned about this method and it's a piece o' cake. Level of difficulty: do-it-yourself easy, even for the non-mechanical; time required: 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:

dschief

750cc
I use Maxima Chain Wax, or Bel Ray drylube which is a Teflon lube just like everybody above mentioned. When I wash the bike, I clean the chain with Bean Clean, then hose it down with clear water, then spray it with WD-40 to help it dry without rusting. Then I lube it.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
+1 on Maxima Chain Wax and put the center stand on your self, it is fun. I run 34/40 stock metz I'm at 5k and need to replace the rear.

koifarm

Hooligan
I dunno, I found that running the sidecar at 36psi as labeled, but keeping the rear at 38-39 psi and the front at 36psi makes the rig handle smoothly or better than with full recommended pressures.

Deek

Scooter
Rum Runner, thanks for the replies. Good idea on the chain spray and cardboard helper to keep the mess to a minimum.

Thanks for the tire pressure ideas also. I have been using 33/38 psi f/r and that feels okay, but I might increase it a bit. I run 36/42 in my BMW, and the manual suggests 32/36 I think. So I might up the pressure a little on the Bonneville.

Deek

Scooter
Thanks EVERYONE on the replies, very helpful. I'm going to up the pressure in the stock rubber and try that. No real complaints on the tires yet...but I only have 250 miles on them. I'll keep the Avons in mind for possible replacements. I love the Mich PR2s on my BMW, but these are two very different motorcycles.

gregs57

Scooter
Your centre stand is easy to fit. Follow the instructions and you won't go wrong.
Mine also came with 2 springs and I found that you could clip them over the mounting point seperately making it much simpler (less effort).
I used needle nose pliers to hold onto it.
Chain wax is the go on a hot chain, just clean your chain regularly

Deek

Scooter
Chain wax is the go on a hot chain, just clean your chain regularly

What's regularly? About 200 miles in in good weather riding? Less miles if it's been raining a lot, etc.? I'll have to get the Teflon at the store tomorrow; I've got 250 miles on the addition.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2009 BMW R 1200 RT
2006 VTX 1300R <gone>
2005 V* Classic <gone>

MikeJackmin

Scooter
I do chain maintenance a little differently.

I don't like aerosols because I know it's only a matter of time before I get careless and lubricate my rear tire. I don't like the sticky waxy stuff, either, because it holds dirt against all those little moving parts.

After a bit of experimentation, I've settled on kerosene, with a bit of motor oil mixed in, applied every 250 miles or so with a rag.

My chain is clean, rust-free (since I added the oil to my mix), and my rear tire remains unmolested. I apply it at the end of the ride; the kerosene evaporates fairly quickly and there is not enough oil remaining on the chain to fling off later.

Modern chains are sealed, and people do all sorts of different things to maintain them. So long as your chain is not rusted or flinging gunk onto your tire, whatever method you like is probably fine.

As for tires, once you decide how much air you want to run, get in the habit of checking your tire pressures, at least once a week. I'll confess I usually check mine before every ride. An unexpectedly soft tire is bad news, and odds are, it will eventually happen. Might as well catch it early.

gregs57

Scooter
By regularly I mean that I do mine after every second or third ride, perhaps a couple of hundred kays between lubes.
I clean my chain regularly with kerosene to stop the build up of wax on the links.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Rum Runner, thanks for the replies. Good idea on the chain spray and cardboard helper to keep the mess to a minimum.

Thanks for the tire pressure ideas also. I have been using 33/38 psi f/r and that feels okay, but I might increase it a bit. I run 36/42 in my BMW, and the manual suggests 32/36 I think. So I might up the pressure a little on the Bonneville.

Deek,

Glad to help. When it comes to when I clean & lube my chain typically I try to do it after the ride if it's daylight out or I have time, or before the ride if I'm going through and cleaning the bike. So this equates to doing it once in every two or three rides typically.

Deek

Scooter
After a bit of experimentation, I've settled on kerosene, with a bit of motor oil mixed in, applied every 250 miles or so with a rag.

My chain is clean, rust-free (since I added the oil to my mix), and my rear tire remains unmolested. I apply it at the end of the ride; the kerosene evaporates fairly quickly and there is not enough oil remaining on the chain to fling off later.

....... I'll confess I usually check mine before every ride. An unexpectedly soft tire is bad news, and odds are, it will eventually happen. ........

Interesting idea on the home brew chain lube. How much motor oil would you say you use? 10%? 30%? I used to use a similar concoction on my "12 speed" bicycle, and it worked quite well. I just removed the chain, gave it a quick cleaning, dunked it in my oil/kerosene mix, and hung it up to drip dry. I don't recall the proportion of oil/kerosene, but there was not much oil there I think.

On the tires I know very well what you mean! I have had two (tubeless) rear tires go out, both losing their pressure in less than 2 minutes. Very scary, but thank goodness it was the rear tire! I have one of the tire pressure monitoring systems on my BMW. I doubt I'll get one on the Bonnie, however, as I expect to use it much less than the Beemer. I always check tire pressure once a day before I ride, but them my typical riding is about twice a week for 3-4 hours; pretty much nonstop. I don't run errands nor do I commute.