Goota get rear SHOCKS!

Deek

Scooter
Edited to (try to) correct thread: Goota should be Gotta.....

After just 250 miles on the new Bonnie it's apparent I need to get replacement rear shocks ordered IMMEDIATELY!:eeek:

I weigh 210 lbs, I'm 6 ft tall. I ONLY ride solo, and don't plan on touring, and probably carry around 15 lbs combined on the tail and tank bags. No racing or track days, for me. I do generally ride 200 miles on state/county roads a day.

My fanny and spine require a much softer ride. Just riding on expansion joints and other road imperfections yesterday wore me out. So, there is no discussion; I am replacing the rear shocks. Surprisingly enough, I thought I'd need to work on the stock seat first, but yesterday's ride convinced me it can easily wait. (PS - using a beaded seat cover yesterday worked VERY well - 180 miles 4 hours in the saddle and the seat is okay. Without the beaded seat cover my 20 minute ride home from the dealer was painful!)

I have been doing some research on rear shocks and I am now totally confused. Ikons and Progressives are mentioned a lot, but then I see varying spring rates and lengths. I don't want to lower or raise the rear seat. I MIGHT do some work on the front end suspension eventually, but right now I MUST replace those rear shocks. I had to check to verify I had shocks.....felt like a solid rear end!

My budget is $200-$350 for a new set. Probably I'd only get a new set.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE
2009 BMW R 1200 RT
2006 BMW R 1200 RT <gone>
2007 Royal Star Venture <gone>
2007 V-Strom DL1000 <gone>
2006 VTX 1300R <gone>
2005 V* Classic <gone>

Last edited:

qwenzel

Two Stroke
You can get a set of Ikon's from NewBonneville for $299. The springs that come with the 7610 series are set up for your weight. I weight about the same as you and they are fine. Once you fix the rear of your bike, you'll see how bad the front is also. Again I have Ikon progressive springs in the front of my bike. A combined cost of just over $400(USD) .

koifarm

Hooligan
Think a minute....
With only 250 miles on the bike, your seat is not even broken in yet, nor are the shocks.
1. adjust the shocks for a softer ride, see your manual for directions it's easy.
2. Drop your air pressure in the tires by 2-4 lbs each, front and back, makes a world of difference.
The more you ride the better it will get, if the seat is truly uncomfortable, add a foam pad or maybe a sheepskin cover, works wonders especially in the summer. Your seat will conform nicely to your butt after about a 1,000 miles.
None if this will cost you an arm or a leg....just something to think about....

TC_Dick

TT Racer
You can get a set of Ikon's from NewBonneville for $299. The springs that come with the 7610 series are set up for your weight. I weight about the same as you and they are fine. Once you fix the rear of your bike, you'll see how bad the front is also. Again I have Ikon progressive springs in the front of my bike. A combined cost of just over $400(USD) .

I have the shocks he's talking about, and they are a vast improvement over stock.

http://newbonneville.com/html/ikon_shocks.html

When you decide to do the front, take a long look at these:

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/triumph-twin-intiminators.php

bs20ric

moped
I've put over 2,000 miles on my cast wheel Bonneville Black rear shocks and haven't felt any noticable improvement in them from day one.

I have just upgraded the undersprung front springs for a firmer pair of linears (suited to my weight) and have dropped in a pair of Intiminators. I'm also now able to run with a much larger air gap, yet no longer suffer with the forks bottoming out, which used to happen prior to these easy mods.

Unfortunately the combined springs , Intiminators and the larger air gap have resulted in a far far superior ride and comfort level, which has only amplified just how harsh the rear end is.

So after only just a few miles on the new front end I'm also in the market for a new rear end pretty sharpish.

ric.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
+1 on getting new shocks. They help (like night and day) and although I went with used Kawasaki shocks it was the best money I've spent.

I'm pretty sure any shicksas you buy will be an improvement. I've had good luck with Newbonneville.com and have bought a ton of stuff from them and haven't had to return anything.

I also got the intimidators for the front. It made the front end a bit stiff. There was a discount code for them (I think it was The word Triumph) I used so the price was right. I should have had the spacers cut, but that's something I intend to do.

Last edited:

Deek

Scooter
Think a minute....
With only 250 miles on the bike, your seat is not even broken in yet, nor are the shocks.
1. adjust the shocks for a softer ride, see your manual for directions it's easy.
2. Drop your air pressure in the tires by 2-4 lbs each, front and back, makes a world of difference.
The more you ride the better it will get, if the seat is truly uncomfortable, add a foam pad or maybe a sheepskin cover, works wonders especially in the summer. Your seat will conform nicely to your butt after about a 1,000 miles.
None if this will cost you an arm or a leg....just something to think about....

Ordinarily I'd agree with you.....but not this time on the shocks. They ought to be fine with only 250 miles on them.

The seat, maybe so, but I feel like it's too soft already and I'm sitting on the frame. However, that beaded seat made a big difference and I am not now planning to change the seat anytime soon.

The rear shocks are so bad (IMHO) that dropping the air a few pounds I do not believe would help. I'm at the owner's manual recommended tire pressure now.

ivar

TT Racer
I refer to the stock rear shocks as "shock transmitters" instead of shock absorbers, as on sharp hits the simple damper rod construction goes into hydraulic lock instead of absorbing the hits.

jackblack

Scooter
After 13000km I have the shocks at 2 clicks down from the hardest setting seems to make the front shocks work better or our roads are better than yours maybe not

Deek

Scooter
I'm the OP. I ordered a set Progressive 412 shocks, their 412-4215c which is their "standard" Bonneville shock.

They arrive this week and I will install them myself or if that fails, my Bonnie is due for the 500 mile check and the dealer can do it.

Any suggestions on where to set these shocks for a 210 lb rider? BTW, even though several sites indicate a 200+ lb rider ought to order the heavy duty (HD) version of these shocks, the Progressive Suspension agent to whom I spoke said to order the standard 412-4215c shock unless I carry a passenger always, which I never do.