Is Bonneville 2006 ready for E10 gas?

tuquoque

Scooter
I am planning to buy an used Bonneville 2006 with carps. In our country the goverment has decided to step to E10 gas this year 2011. If I've understood right, the ethanol may cause problems for older bikes.

The engine will run warmer, is the heat something Bonnevilles air cooling system can handle?

Because of the ethanol the rubber parts will dry, are there some major (expensive or difficult to replace) engine parts that need to be replaced?

Are there differencies between carb and EFI models?

Cheers.

Last edited:

mark66

TT Racer
We've been running E10 gas here in Connecticut for several years now. I haven't run into any over heating problems yet. I did start using an additive, startron, in the gas because of the ethanol. All my bikes are carbed.

henrys

Street Tracker
Ethanol actually burns much cooler than gasoline. E85 is a huge hit with the big power automotive tuning crowd. It's like race gas at the pump. That being said I can't imagine E10 causing that much problem. If it was E85 yes, but E10 isn't a lot of ethanol. Also E85 even varies between E60 and E80 quite a bit depending on a lot of factors so E10 may be the same.

Beachfinn

Scooter
I believe just about all fuel sold in U.S is E10 these days. I ride my 06 in 100f/38c temperatures in city traffic with no problems.

Tervetuloa uusimmalle Suomalais jasenelle :)

ivar

TT Racer
Ethanol actually burns much cooler than gasoline. E85 is a huge hit with the big power automotive tuning crowd. It's like race gas at the pump.

Ethanol has higher octane - but less energy than straight gas. And will burn leaner / hotter if jetting stays the same.

mikenva

Rocker
Ethanol has higher octane - but less energy than straight gas. And will burn leaner / hotter if jetting stays the same.
that is true but 10% does not change it very much .maybe 1 jet size you can allso run more timing with it.I been running the 10% for a few years now it runs great.
Any fuel with higher octane has less energy but thats not a bad thing regular gas has more energy then high test allso.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I've read something about the gov wanting to go E15 and have heard that it may "F" up our systems. It would seem that big oil and the engine builders might speak to each other every now and then and sort this crap out.
Until one of you starts screaming about problems, I ain't gonna sweat it.
Besides, who sells pure gasoline these days? I thought I'd heard Exxon did but alas, the E10 stickers on their pumps too.

bonZa

Street Tracker
lucky in my part of the world we still have a choice and the Govt has no plans of mandating compulsory use of E10.
based on that I choose not to use the stuff

dschief

750cc
Ethanol will eat buna rubber for a light snack. The rubber float needle tips on my Mikuni carbs are gone. The replacements are Viton, which is impervious to ethanol. It's a pain in the ass no matter how you look at it.

dschief

750cc
I don't think the government cares about our carbs.

No, they want us to be buying new green vehicles, not riding around on carbed, non-catalytic dinosaurs. You know you are not legally allowed to adjust or re-jet your carbs, let alone put "off road" pipes on it, or any of the other mods we tinkers like to do. Funny enough, the only "legal" bikes I have are my old 2 strokes as they are too old for any of the EPA laws. :huh:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
I've had my carbys taken off and cleaned twice from what I suspect is ethanol problems. Now I use Sta Bil Marine (blue stuff) with each fill-up. No more problems since.

Geoh3

Scooter
http://pure-gas.org/

I now ride out of the way to get fuel for the bike and yard equipment. Ethanol has eaten the fuel lines on the weed eater and chain saw and killed the riding lawn mower. It was my fault for letting the equipment sit for a few months.

Kappy

Two Stroke
Lucky me, here they do not think this way at all and the Government has as far as the public is aware no intention to introduce such kind of stuff.