Scrambler pipe project - and painting chrome

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Yo!

I'm about to begin the project of reworking the exhaust system on my '08 Scrambler. I have a set of decent looking mufflers (but they're chrome), a pair of short 'adaptors' to make the slight bend from the stock headers to the mufflers, some pipe wrap (in a bitchin' hot orange to go with the Tangerine paint on the tank!), and some good high-temp black silicone coating...

What I'm hoping for are some tips on how to prepare those chrome bits prior to painting/coating. The mufflers are brand new, it's not that they *need* to be messed with, just that I don't have chrome in mind for this bike. ;) My thought for the moment is to use heavy sandpaper to scuff the surface of the mufflers, then either apply the high-temp silicone coating or...? The coating is from DEI, and is specifically intended for 'painting' exhaust system bits.

Do I need a primer?

Any thoughts?

TIA

I'll post pics as this project moves along.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
You should look at the product you are going to use and see what the manufacturer said about prep. I imagine that silicone coating may need a different prep as compared to paint...

Generally I don't think "heavy sandpaper" is the way to go for paint. 220 grit is what I used for my headlight bucket when I rattle caned it black. That was before deciding I wanted it Claret, but a low grit paper can leave scratches that you might see thru the paint...

As to priming there seems to be some debate as to weather or not self-etching primer need to be used when painting chrome. I know a lot of guys who have just sanded and BBQ painted their headers with no problem...

Best of luck with the project, Thanks in advance for the picts!

Last edited:

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
You should look at the product you are going to use and see what the manufacturer said about prep. I imagine that silicone coating may need a different prep as compared to paint...

They suggested a primer might be a good idea; but they weren't specific about what to use. Perhaps the VHT primer?

Generally I don't think "heavy sandpaper" is the way to go for paint. 220 grit is what I used for my headlight bucket when I rattle caned it black. That was before deciding I wanted it Claret, but a low grit paper can leave scratches that you might see thru the paint...

Excellent point; but the product I'll be using is a silicone coating (as opposed to a 'paint'). I may use a heavier grit to start, then smooth things over with a finer grit before priming.

As to priming there seems to be some debate as to weather or not self-etching primer need to be used when painting chrome. I know a lot of guys who have just sanded and BBQ painted their headers with no problem...

Best of luck with the project, Thanks in advance for the picts!

Thanks 2M, I'll keep those thoughts in mind.

strokerlmt

IMHO.....high heat paint is like super glue. I have taken chromed headers, lightly sanded, cleaned with thinner and spray painted with high heat flat black paint and I have had no problems.
LMT

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
IMHO.....high heat paint is like super glue. I have taken chromed headers, lightly sanded, cleaned with thinner and spray painted with high heat flat black paint and I have had no problems.
LMT

Well that would certainly be easy. Perhaps I'll try it for the first shot, especially since I still have my eye on some pipes that aren't yet available. Then I can decide whether I need those (expensive) pipes or not, without having to do alot of work on these.

Thanks Lach.

austat2

Scooter
i would use a grey scotchbrite and thinners to scuff the chrome up then a good wax and grease remove and paint with the high temp paint. thats how i`ve done all the exhausts i`ve painted at work and never had a problem

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
i would use a grey scotchbrite and thinners to scuff the chrome up then a good wax and grease remove and paint with the high temp paint. thats how i`ve done all the exhausts i`ve painted at work and never had a problem

Thanks lad. Pretty much what I had in mind after some good tips here and some research. I do have a can of VHT primer; but I don't know that I'll be using it.

It's a bit chilly to be workin' on this stuff at the moment (in the 20's out there); but as soon as it warms up I'll be taking some pics. Might even setup shop in the utility room and get the prep work done ahead of painting.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I use 500grit wet paper and sand exhaust, spray off with some cleaner and let evaporate, then 2-3 light coats of bbq black. Works pretty well.

BBQ paint works great. Don't use primer with it though, even if it is VHT primer. It says right on the can not to use primer. I can't say what'll happen though, because I've never used primer.

I sand/scuff up the pipes and lay down several heavy (but not runny) coats of BBQ paint.

I let the paint dry for about 30-45 minutes between coats and hit it with 000 or 0000 steel wool in between coats, and after the final coat. The steel wool really makes it look good.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Exhaust wrap questions!

Okay guys, great info on the painting tasks in this project, now on to the header pipe wrap....

I think I want a particular color, and I have a 50' roll of 2" wide wrap in that color; but.... I'm not sure if 2" wrap is going to be reasonable to apply on those rather tight bends in the headers. HAS ANYONE HERE WRAPPED PIPES, AND DO YOU HAVE A RECOMMENDATION (1" or 2" wide)?

TIA

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
I'll be looking forward to the results of your pipe project Ryder.

FWIW, I've used a couple brands of the high heat/BBQ paint and they all seem to be a little grey to me. They do hold very well though. I painted my carb intakes with BBQ paint almost 2 years ago and they still look good as new. I've also used VHT Caliper Paint in Satin Black as well and it is a great match to the black engine cases. Almost perfect match in color and texture.

Anyway, keep us posted with the project. Good luck!

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I'll be looking forward to the results of your pipe project Ryder.

FWIW, I've used a couple brands of the high heat/BBQ paint and they all seem to be a little grey to me. They do hold very well though. I painted my carb intakes with BBQ paint almost 2 years ago and they still look good as new. I've also used VHT Caliper Paint in Satin Black as well and it is a great match to the black engine cases. Almost perfect match in color and texture.

Anyway, keep us posted with the project. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I looked at the VHT Caliper paint, and it's only rated for 350 degrees, so not a good choice for exhaust bits.

I hear SM's point on the wrap, and my wife agrees (it's fugly - although that's a very subjective thing). If anyone has functional/maintainability comments on the wrap, I'd love to hear them.

I'm gonna do this in at least two stages. STAGE ONE will be removing the chrome heat shield pieces and making them black (with VHT Flameproof, probably), also replacing the mufflers with what may end up being an interim solution; but will open things up, reduce the weight, and will definitely be an improvement in appearance. If, after that, I still want more of a change with the headers I'll consider the options and move on to STAGE TWO.

I should have some new pics by the end of next week. Stay tuned!

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Thanks guys. I looked at the VHT Caliper paint, and it's only rated for 350 degrees, so not a good choice for exhaust bits.

It's rated to 900 degrees according to their website.

VHT Brake, Caliper. Drum & Rotor Coatings have been specifically designed for the custom detailing of brake components. It is heat resistant to 900°F (482°C) and will not chip, crack, fade or rust even under extremes of operation or road and weather conditions. It is easy to apply, dries quickly and is remarkably resistant. Careful preparation is essential.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
It's rated to 900 degrees according to their website.

Well that's interesting. The link in the original post sent me to a page that has that 350 degree spec on it as well. I already have the paint I'll be using; but will keep that in the file for future potential use. ;)

DIRK

750cc
careful prep will make the difference at the end. the courser the grit you start with the more work you are making for yourself towards the end of the project.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Progress!

careful prep will make the difference at the end. the courser the grit you start with the more work you are making for yourself towards the end of the project.

I plan on using 600-grit, and light pressure with an orbital hand sander. I'm almost ready to begin that part of the project; but here are a couple of update pics from this morning:

1-> The cockpit coming together, new windscreen fitted, GPS and video cam mount in place. Also visible is the ignition relocator from AussieDave.

Scram0105-2.JPG

2-> Phase 1 mufflers in place. They'll definitely cleanup the look and reduce the weight (~10lbs!) compared to the stockers. This is some of the chrome I'll be painting.

Scram0105-3.JPG

3-> a different view of the new mufflers. Obviously I haven't finished the bracketry for the mufflers; but it's pretty straightforward.

Scram0105-4.JPG

I'll capture some of the in-process prep and paint work as it gets done. With temps in the 30's me olde bits can only tolerate about 90 minutes at a time out there!

Stay tuned!

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Prep & Paint in progress

Got the heat shields scuffed and primed, should have 'em black by tomorrow.

-> shields cleaned up, sander at the ready...

ShieldPrep1.JPG

-> and shields nicely scuffed ...

ShieldPrep2.JPG