Opinions needed: Bonneville T100 2011 or Black 2006?

Bonneville1

Scooter
Something else to consider if you're wanting to modify for power. It's hard to beat a carb'd bike at this time as the EFI bikes are still early in development for mods. They are getting there slowly though..

?????????????? is not the same or similar system as used on the Triple range that have been fuel ,injected for years? the only reason Triumph kept them Carb'd was for the die hards. What mods do you need on EFI?

EFI without hesitation, why go backwards

" In Finland new T100 costs 12700 euro (£10900, $16865).

Today I found a used 2006 Bonneville Black.
The price is 8000 euro (£6880, $10624)"

You would not hesitate at that difference?

sportyone

Street Tracker
EFI without hesitation, why go backwards,

it's not matter of going backwards, just if you like a bike that you can mod very easily and the older classic styling grabs you, go for the pure black.
Personally I think Triumph are wrong to change the new Bonnevilles about, now sold with hard to read modern designed digital gauges & mag wheels etc. where are they headed. the classic Bonneville brought Triumph back into vogue,
they should keep the embedded old school classic style, IMO

There should be one designer or project manager assigned for each model, not a bunch of dudes throwing in all their odd design ideas, now we have abit from here abit from there, coloured frames, sparkley paint, smaller wheels, flat seats, thinner handlebars & digital gauges ?
where's the old school look now, large clock face gauges & tachos etc were all the go !
I reckon, IMO anyway, they should be bringing out a couple of more cafe racer styled models like DEUS build, simple, basic & great performers. :)

Rubicon

Scooter
Personally, having messed with jets constantly in my ATV racing days, I much rather plug in a cable, sit down with a beer of a coffee and upload a tune. The real winner is TuneECU, its free, you can't beat free. The EFI bikes haven't been around that long but watch, give it a year or 2 and big HP will be easy from them. People are already boring throttle bodies, talking about using GSXR TB's, etc.

Sportyone, that's why they kept the T100, personally I love the look of the new mag wheel bonnies and wouldn't own a T100. They have just enough retro styling to look cool, but have modern touches which I also like. I'm also a fan of muscle cars with modern suspension and wheels, your get the better styling and performance to match. Triumph knows what they are doing, and to sell bikes to guys like me that didn't grow up in the 60's, they need to modernize the bike just enough, and they have pulled it off beautifully.

Last edited:

Grassy53

Scooter
it's not matter of going backwards, just if you like a bike that you can mod very easily and the older classic styling grabs you, go for the pure black.
Personally I think Triumph are wrong to change the new Bonnevilles about, now sold with hard to read modern designed digital gauges & mag wheels etc. where are they headed. the classic Bonneville brought Triumph back into vogue,
they should keep the embedded old school classic style, IMO

There should be one designer or project manager assigned for each model, not a bunch of dudes throwing in all their odd design ideas, now we have abit from here abit from there, coloured frames, sparkley paint, smaller wheels, flat seats, thinner handlebars & digital gauges ?
where's the old school look now, large clock face gauges & tachos etc were all the go !
I reckon, IMO anyway, they should be bringing out a couple of more cafe racer styled models like DEUS build, simple, basic & great performers. :)

Have to agree,
Digital gauges ,mag wheels , efi ..... buy an R1 if thats what you are after. Not saying there is any thing wrong with an R1 but horses for courses. :)

tuquoque

Scooter
Today is Sunday... How was the Black Beauty? Love at first sight?
Hopefully you found the right bonnie and we'll see some pictures soon! :)

Few words in finnish: kävinkö katsomassa pyörääsi? Jos niin, niin kiva, tehdään täällä siitä julkisesti kaupat. Terveisiä joka tapauksessa.

Hi NorthBonnie and all.

First of all, thank you all for your posts. I really appreciate the discussion, it helps me to make the right decision.

Yes, I drove today to meet the seller and to see the Black 2006. I read somewhere it is something you shouldn't do, you shouldn't fell in love with something you plan to buy, it hinders you to think clearly.

That is why I am trying very hard to pretend I didn't fell in love and actually NorthBonnie may be the seller :wave:. If I tell to her how much I liked her bike, she may rise the price, and we don't want that to happen :)

Did I fell in love? I will give you a hint, tomorrow I am going to meet mr. banker. If everything goes well, I am a Bonnie owner before it is sunday again.

I've attached one picture. The Bonnie 2006 Black in her original shape, with the beautyfull blue pipes and all the factory accessories.

I have couple of questions to ask from you experienced bikers later,
now I have something urgent to do.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Attachments

• MustaPoni.jpg
    MustaPoni.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

NorthBonnie

Scooter
Oh boy tuquoque, the only Bonnie I have is two coloured, so you definitely are not buying my bike :). I just had a slight hunch you may fall in love when you see a Bonneville for sale. That's what happened to me last August when I first met my Green Beauty...

Thumbs up you have a good meeting with mr banker tomorrow! Musta Poni looks really nice in the picture!!!

tuquoque

Scooter
Oh boy tuquoque, the only Bonnie I have is two coloured, so you definitely are not buying my bike :). I just had a slight hunch you may fall in love when you see a Bonneville for sale. That's what happened to me last August when I first met my Green Beauty...

Thumbs up you have a good meeting with mr banker tomorrow! Musta Poni looks really nice in the picture!!!

As you see from the picture, we took her out to start her up. I sit on her and felt how she rumbled between my legs, what a sound and what a feeling! I am thinking her all the time. Is this love that I am feeling? :)

mark66

TT Racer
As you see from the picture, we took her out to start her up. I sit on her and felt how she rumbled between my legs, what a sound and what a feeling! I am thinking her all the time. Is this love that I am feeling? :)

OH YEAH......nothing but love, love, love.:):):)

tuquoque

Scooter
Yes, living the longest winter of my life.
Good to be here so I can talk about it.

I googled and used the search engine of this site but I coudn't find a clear answer for one question that worries me. Please remember, I am a newbie with a little experience with bikes.

Bonnie has been in a warm place the winter time. When started up from cold and engine was running idle, there was some metallic clunking sound that didn't sound quite natural to my ears. I heard it every time when engine was running on low rpm and was about to choke. On higher revs the sound disappeared.

I am a newbie but I have heard many engines in my life and usually metallic sounds inside engine means trouble. I have read about the Bonnie valve noise. Was it that I was hearing or something I should be worried about? Would it be wise to take some experienced opinion about the noise?

EDIT: the seller said, the sound is normal and goes away when the engine warms up. Any advice?

Last edited:

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
Yes, living the longest winter of my life.
Good to be here so I can talk about it.

I googled and used the search engine of this site but I coudn't find a clear answer for one question that worries me. Please remember, I am a newbie with a little experience with bikes.

Bonnie has been in a warm place the winter time. When started up from cold and engine was running idle, there was some metallic clunking sound that didn't sound quite natural to my ears. I heard it every time when engine was running on low rpm and was about to choke. On higher revs the sound disappeared.

I am a newbie but I have heard many engines in my life and usually metallic sounds inside engine means trouble. I have read about the Bonnie valve noise. Was it that I was hearing or something I should be worried about? Would it be wise to take some experienced opinion about the noise?

EDIT: the seller said, the sound is normal and goes away when the engine warms up. Any advice?

Until everything comes up to temp there will be some mechanical sounds... and if it has the stock (very quiet) exhaust on it, it will sound like a sewing machine...

Something to remember... these are air cooled engines... they do not have the water jackets to absorb engine noises like a water cooled engine does... A certain amount of mechanical noise is normal... I don't know how to describe what is normal and what is not...

NorthBonnie

Scooter
Some words in finnish:
Tuosta kertomastasi kolinasta tulee mieleen voisiko se olla nokkaketju joka kolkattaa alhaisilla kierroksilla? Aiempi pyöräni on vanha Kawa ja sillä on ollut juuri sama taipumus kylmänä käynnistyksen jälkeen alhaisilla kierroksilla.

sportyone

Street Tracker
Some words in finnish:
Tuosta kertomastasi kolinasta tulee mieleen voisiko se olla nokkaketju joka kolkattaa alhaisilla kierroksilla? Aiempi pyöräni on vanha Kawa ja sillä on ollut juuri sama taipumus kylmänä käynnistyksen jälkeen alhaisilla kierroksilla.

I think that means he is in love forever, I reckon :)

enjoy mate, she will keep you young, just like a good young woman ! :shh:

mikenva

Rocker
?????????????? is not the same or similar system as used on the Triple range that have been fuel ,injected for years? the only reason Triumph kept them Carb'd was for the die hards. What mods do you need on EFI?
the throttle body is way to small to make much power .The after market has not caught up yet on the efi bikes there for carb bikes can be made faster as of now .

NorthBonnie

Scooter
If you move to Melbourne Australia you can have winter and summer in one day our weather is nuts!!!!:shh:

"Been there, done that" ;-)
I experienced cyclone Joy :eeek: in Ingham Queensland 20 years ago, so I've tasted tiny little bit your crazy weather. Melbourne was nice that time! :)

tuquoque

Scooter
Just wanted to let you know that after the Bonnie I ought to buy was examined by qualified Triumph service guy, he said there is something wrong inside the engine. I naturally cancelled the deal.

Thank you all for your help. I was lucky this time and learned a lesson.
I think I am going for the new T100 to get the two years quarantee.