How NOT to kick a British bike

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I broke my ankle starting a single in tennies. Main reason why I like that thar pushy button thingy on the handlebar. Avoid the kickstart.

ssjones

750cc
My magneto fired '61 XLCH was an SOB to start. Even with boots, my instep was black & blue for the first week, before I learned the correct ritual (which was still problematic....) My buddies learned to send me out first to get my bike running....

T-boy

Rocker
It's a hell of a lot easier just to push a button and go. I've got a '70 BSA 500 thumper that has almost put my foot up into my abdominal cavity on more than one occasion.

Learned how to kick start a Matchless 500 single barefoot when I was just a flyweight 15 year old, there's a right way and a wrong way, if you do it the right way it's easy although they can still bite you every now and then.

The "trick" is to ease or rock the piston just over top dead center on the compression stroke, give the bike just the tiniest bit of throttle and then kick the bastard like you mean it - no pussy footing around. Just remember to keep your leg slightly bent at the knee right through the kick, that way if it does kick back you don't get launched over the bars as your leg will absorb most of the recoil. Your foot will still hurt but there should be no broken bones resulting.

I've won a couple of bets by being able to start "difficult" singles on the first kick and had stunned owners say "how the bloody hell did you do that" after seeing it.

The guy in the video doesn't have a clue and that bike is going to bite him real bad one day for sure.

ssjones

750cc
What does he pretend to look at around 1:30?

And yes, once he does get it going...sweet.
That's the old "I'll fiddle with something, because folks are looking and this thing won't @#$#$ start" action. I do this with my '66. After performing mysterious engine, carb or switch related actions, this leads to more unproductive kicking and increased skepticism from onlookers. Occasionally, to the amazement of all, this will lead to the bike starting......

mark66

TT Racer
That's the old "I'll fiddle with something, because folks are looking and this thing won't @#$#$ start" action. I do this with my '66. After performing mysterious engine, carb or switch related actions, this leads to more unproductive kicking and increased skepticism from onlookers. Occasionally, to the amazement of all, this will lead to the bike starting......

Nice, I've got to remember that....last summer the '70 bsa didn't want to start and I had it right in the middle of a show. As the crowd grew around me I kept thinking, start you bastard. Now I know what to do....

ssjones

750cc
Nice, I've got to remember that....last summer the '70 bsa didn't want to start and I had it right in the middle of a show. As the crowd grew around me I kept thinking, start you bastard. Now I know what to do....
I just went thru the routine on Christmas Day with my brother and his son. She fired after a few hiccups....