What is the max tire width on stock rims ?

Kappy

Two Stroke
has anyone experience made in regards of wider rear and front tires on the stock rims ? What would be the max possible ?

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
has anyone experience made in regards of wider rear and front tires on the stock rims ? What would be the max possible ?

It depends on the tire...

All 140/80's will fit... most 150/70's will...though most manufacturers spec a 4" rim width as the recommended "preferred" width... The exception being the Dunlop GT501 that spec's a 3.5" rim width for their 150/70...

If you go to the various manufacturers websites, they will have the fitment specs and give the acceptable rim width ranges for each tire size...

coopv2

Street Tracker
As the Dude said, this has come up heaps of times and you will find various opinions from many.
I have a 160/70B17 Dunlop. The only tire made specifically for a narrow 17" rim.
it seats well on the rim, has a flared side wall to stop the ballooning effect from wide tires on narrow rims. And i feel much safer than with that skinny arse 130 stock tire.
its also a mild sport compound and so far I have done about 3000 mls still looks new. had to pull on the sides of the rear fender to make sure there was ample clearance.
160mm left. 130mm right.
picture.php