Pipes and water bongs and sich.

mikenva

Rocker
sounds like like you got her running good john.Your going about it the right way try everything.Your lucky you got someone with a dyno that knows what hes doing.I wish i did I have to about beg the guy at the HD dealer to pull mine on there dyno.Now that the rideing season is full swing here I dont know when ill get mine back on there.Dont you just love the extra foot pounds the stroker makes.What rpm is max ft/lbs and hp at.I have never had mine right when i dynoed it yet.Had a miss over 5000rpm last time i ran it still made 69.09 ft/lbs at near 4700 rpm then droped like a rock.I had a bunch of crazy shit .Bad pro com box ,found the carb rubber where letting carbs move .Fixed them put a stock 865 box on it ,Still pulling good at rev. limit of stock box now.I need to get it back on dyno and see where i am now.Let us know what exhause are the best all i got is preds on mine now ,will be looking for something better soon.

Last edited:

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Ya know Mike - I have not even ridden the bike, except right after the rebuild when it was making 68 RWHP. So I'm going to be surprised when I get it back from Fred. He has been working on it for 3 weeks, and may need another 3 before it's all sorted. He works on it part time as he has access to the dyno when ever.

mikenva

Rocker
Yea dont rush him lol looks like is doing it right.I am sure you will love it when hes done .Just watch 1st gear when you hit it the first time.I love the way these bikes put the ft/lbs out right from the start kinda like a built HD that dont die at 6000 rpm lol.

Dawgone

Two Stroke
Wow Dawg, that's effin Cool. +100 hp @ the Wheel ! That's gotta make the TT the first normally aspirated Bonnie motor over 100 hp !

Had dinner with Carlos last night and he told me all 'bout it.

I got a suggestion for the 1st ride... 19 tooth counter-shaft sprocket & 2nd gear launch!

It's that or a Wheelie Bar!

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Wow Dawg, that's effin Cool. +100 hp @ the Wheel ! That's gotta make the TT the first normally aspirated Bonnie motor over 100 hp !

Had dinner with Carlos last night and he told me all 'bout it.

I got a suggestion for the 1st ride... 19 tooth counter-shaft sprocket & 2nd gear launch!

It's that or a Wheelie Bar!

Thanks Dawg, The 19 T has been installed finally. I may go down to see Fred and the bike this week- maybe video a dyno blast - the new completed exhaust may be ready tomorrow. Fred is a true enthusiast, and knows some serious shit about tuning motors. The freaking flow bench he has is awesome, and the new dynojet dyno in ATD dyno room helps alot too, not to mention having a few West coast dudes with mucho dinaro seeking Max power from these bikes.

John, if I may ask, what pipe diameters are you stepping up to? I can weld and have access to a MIG welder, I've been thinking of cutting my Bub headers up and welding up some larger pipe to them. any tips/hints you could disclose would be great.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
The bike is at the pipe benders now and getting the final tweaks, don't know the specifics yet other than it's 2 stepped and where it connects to the mufflers is 1 7/8 inches. No cross over - and of course only the dyno will tell us for sure if we are going the right direction. We did get the new clutch today and some more back lash gears and springs for the cams. There is a growing concern that running with out the back lash gears while great on race bikes is actually doing harm to the cam lobes/ buckets for extended street riding. Have had some custom cams sets that the lobes flattened out just way to quickly - the hardening process is being looked at as well.

mikenva

Rocker
I have run mine with and with out the springs .I put the springs back on cause i didnt like the sound .I wouldnt think it would wear cam lobes but i do wonder if you get as good of cam timing with out them,that is if the springs are strong enough to keep the slack out of gears when valve starts to close,with the double valve springs im not sure they are.cam lobe wear is all ways 1 of 2 things lifter(bucket) is harder and cam is to soft) or you have a lube problem.Getting cams harden right is a art in its self.If you weld them up and regrid them its even harder to get them right.One thing that makes it hard to do is you dont know for sure what steel the cam was made of to start with and theres alot of junk out there.
Is that a 2 into 2 pipe yall are working on? have you used a 2 into 1 yet?

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
I have run mine with and with out the springs .I put the springs back on cause i didnt like the sound .I wouldnt think it would wear cam lobes but i do wonder if you get as good of cam timing with out them,that is if the springs are strong enough to keep the slack out of gears when valve starts to close,with the double valve springs im not sure they are.cam lobe wear is all ways 1 of 2 things lifter(bucket) is harder and cam is to soft) or you have a lube problem.Getting cams harden right is a art in its self.If you weld them up and regrid them its even harder to get them right.One thing that makes it hard to do is you dont know for sure what steel the cam was made of to start with and theres alot of junk out there.
Is that a 2 into 2 pipe yall are working on? have you used a 2 into 1 yet?

2 into 2 set-up on the pipes - yea the clicky noises from the cams is noticable without the gears. The thinking is maybe the back lash combined with the cams being too soft compared to the buckets is accellerating the wear. Its much cheaper to regrind the cams till you hit the right combo - then you can have it carved out of a chunk of billet.

mikenva

Rocker
2 into 2 set-up on the pipes - yea the clicky noises from the cams is noticable without the gears. The thinking is maybe the back lash combined with the cams being too soft compared to the buckets is accellerating the wear. Its much cheaper to regrind the cams till you hit the right combo - then you can have it carved out of a chunk of billet.
yea thats true.Might try some moly lube or stp on them if your not going to run them long that might help

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Finally got the new Barnett clutch set-up today, also the longer clutch activation lever for an easier pull. The exhaust is done except for dyno testing and once finalized the ceramic coating of the entire system. This weekend should make some good progress on completion of the motor work now that the exhaust is done. Will get some pics up of the system when I see the bike. The bigger intake mounts for the big air billet carbs are here as well as the big uni filters.

Vendor
The thinking is maybe the back lash combined with the cams being too soft compared to the buckets is accellerating the wear. Its much cheaper to regrind the cams till you hit the right combo - then you can have it carved out of a chunk of billet.

Interesting...

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Some shots of the new exhaust - the left side came out perfect, the right we are NOT happy with the funky "bonneville Kink" in the system right before the muffler. These are the Dominator race cans - little louder than Predators, but still that same great sound. So a little more work on the right, followed by the dyno runs and then polishing and ceramic coating of the system. Three steps in the system at this point.

CIMG1688.jpg

Love this side.
CIMG1687.jpg

Need help on this one.
CIMG1689.jpg

Hedge

American Infidel
Very nice! I assume that once they are done they go to the Ceramic Coater for beautification?

Fr. Joe 07T100

Street Tracker
"Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?";)

lmao. never heard tha one before; did you make that up TTU?
I know, I'm a little late with this response, but there are so many posts to cruise. Rereading this post and others tonight, I think I'm gainin wisdom on the more technical issues; with my fondness for modding, that might not be a good thing. Ignorance and bliss might gel well for me.

that saying has been around for a long time, kinda like "no replacement for displacement" (except boost of course), or my new favorite, "more with the paws and less with the jaws"

rodburner

Rocker
Hey John,can your pipe guy make me some finless exhaust flanges,with no bend or kink? Just 2" of straight pipe 1-1/2" od ?

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Hey John,can your pipe guy make me some finless exhaust flanges,with no bend or kink? Just 2" of straight pipe 1-1/2" od ?

I'm guessing he could - he seems to be able to build any thing from the look of all the drag racing chassis's in his shop.
Contact info

Lakepoint Tube Chassis

1450 Bald Ridge Marina Rd
Cumming, GA 30041

(770) 844-8182‎