Tank Sealant

monty

Street Tracker
Big thing over the pond at the moment is the effect that Ethanol in pump petrol is having on the classic scene.
Fibre glass tanks are dissolving and tanks previously sealed are having problems as the ethanol in the petrol is dissolving the previously applied sealant. This bungs up the carb and has even caused problems with plastic bits in the carbs dissolving.
I ask because I need to seal the tank on my 500.

Are you guys having problems in the States?

Monty

hankmarx

750cc
It is a problem here as well. I am rebuilding a 75 Norton, and the Norton forum I am on has a lot of crying about ethanol and fibreglass tanks. [ I am lucky enough to have a stell tank} Some people are having success with sealers or liners, but many are going to alloy repros.

mark66

TT Racer
It is a problem here as well. I am rebuilding a 75 Norton, and the Norton forum I am on has a lot of crying about ethanol and fibreglass tanks. [ I am lucky enough to have a stell tank} Some people are having success with sealers or liners, but many are going to alloy repros.

+1 with hankmarx......here in Connecticut we've had 10% ethanol for some time now and just heard last week from someone they're talking about going up to 15%. My '70 BSA still has the original steel tank but my '72 has a coating. I haven't had a problem with the carbs yet but when I put them up for the winter in October I drain everything including pulling the float bowls off and drying them out. Not much anyone can do about it......it's here to stay.
I lot of people with boats are having the same problems. The fibre glass tanks are being ruined.

mark66

TT Racer
Monty, the tank sealant in my '72 seems to be holding out OK. In other words no problems after 2+ years. Unfortunately I don't know what was used to seal it. My son had sent it out to a shop here in the states and they used a process which baked the sealant. They completely strip the tank inside and out for the heat treatment and then your faced with repainting the tank. Maybe if you call around you can find a shop in the UK that does something similar to that. Of course this won't work for fiber glass. Might have a bit of a problem there.:eeek:

rodburner

Rocker
The heated method above was probably RedCote,which seems to be done by most radiator shops in my area.For my own home applications,the 2 part Caswell kit is awesome.Ethanol,alcohol,and probably nitro methane rated too,and is safe for fiberglass tanks.

mark66

TT Racer
just stay the hell away from Kreem or whatever it's called. That stuff is fucking garbage.

Right about that Sweat, used Kreem back in the late '70s and wasn't worth a damn then either. Pour it in, swish it around , and it still didn't work. Advertised it to stop leaks.....yeah right.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I used Kreen as well in the 80s and it is comming off and rust is comming right through. Now i can't get the Kreem out to seal it properly.

monty

Street Tracker
Looking at a tank sealant from Caswell. Will update further when I know more......

Monty.