Thoughts on rearsets

Ninja K

Two Stroke
Been thinking of putting rearsets on my bonnie but probably not until after new exhaust and a few performance upgrades. After reading Crikket44's M bar threads a few people kind of mentioned that rear sets are recommended for taller riders. I'm curious to read your opinions on them and the advantages/disadvantages.

Also, what would be a good brand recomendation? LSL? Norman Hyde? Can I just get Thruxton rearsets and put them on the bonneville?

Triumph825

Scooter
Thruxton rearsets does not fit in bonneville model, the only availiable rearsets for bonneville are the only two you mentioned, haven't try them though

strokerlmt

I have the Norman H rear sets and really like them. Sturdy, easy to install and comfortable for my bad knees...
LMT

neuroboy

750cc
i have the LSL ones and have been happy with them. . . they're study enough that when i laid my bike down the left footpeg was strong enough to act like a frame slider to protect my engine cover. 'nuff said.

Thruxton rearsets does not fit in bonneville model, the only availiable rearsets for bonneville are the only two you mentioned, haven't try them though

Wrong. The Thruxton rearsets WILL fit, but you have to buy the footpeg perches, some brake rear brake parts, etc. This swap has been done many times but it is more expensive than buying aftermarket rearsets unless you can find a Thrux owner willing to trade.

That said, I have the Norman Hyde rearsets on my Bonnie and they look OEM and work well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

As for taller riders needing rearsets, I'm not sure that's accurate. I would say though that if you have lower handlebars the rearsets are definitely a plus.

78gold

Two Stroke
Rear Sets

I have a set of lsl rear sets and have sat down to put em on a couple of times.
Looks simple enough but not sure I will like the riding position. might have a go this weekend and see how they fit.

Will let you know how easy to fit and feel after. I am 5'9 so not a tall rider by any means but I am of the broader type rider.lol.:)

dbacher06

Scooter
I'm on 5'8 and have the LSL rearsets. I also have M bars turned upside down. The rearsets really improved the comfort of the riding position. I put the rearsets on myself, not too difficult if you can turn a wrench.

strokerlmt

Wrong. The Thruxton rearsets WILL fit, but you have to buy the footpeg perches, some brake rear brake parts, etc. This swap has been done many times but it is more expensive than buying aftermarket rearsets unless you can find a Thrux owner willing to trade.

That said, I have the Norman Hyde rearsets on my Bonnie and they look OEM and work well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

As for taller riders needing rearsets, I'm not sure that's accurate. I would say though that if you have lower handlebars the rearsets are definitely a plus.

Both of you are correct......the Thrux rear sets do NOT transfer over to the Bonne. BUT as Sweatmachine has said if you want to buy a bunch of shit they will fit. I was thinking the question was can aftermarket just bolt on or can thrux just bolt on.....my experience is that you can make just about anything work with a little modification....
LMT

Both of you are correct......the Thrux rear sets do NOT transfer over to the Bonne. BUT as Sweatmachine has said if you want to buy a bunch of shit they will fit. I was thinking the question was can aftermarket just bolt on or can thrux just bolt on.....my experience is that you can make just about anything work with a little modification....
LMT

The Thrux rearsets DO transfer over to the Bonnie, if you have the correct parts. No modifications are necessary.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
:shh:
Have done some research and it is possible but its seems like a real mission and some problems can be encountered with the bonnie headers. It is costly to get the parts etc, there are some good guides and you need somebody who wants to do a swap with you for your rearset or wait on ebay. The other option is to purchase the required parts from www.bikebandit.com. Too hard for me but if you know stuff about bikes you could effectively do it. I have finally made a decision and will go with norman hyde they are expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for and I love my bonne so it will be her christmas present. I think they will look good and suit me 2009 SE white and blue and retain a classic agressive look and better ergonomics with me new ace handlebar setup. Hope this helps it has been driving me nuts and it is nice to know I am not alone.

Ride safe and have an awsome christmas and new year Ben Dickens:cya:

Easy13

Street Tracker
FWIW, I swapped my Bonne mid controls with a guy for his Thrux rearsets. The Thrux owner and I swapped everything on the right (brake) side from the brakeline forward (disconnected at the caliper). Brakelight switch, master cylinder, reservoir, the whole enchilada. Took about 20 minutes to take it off and about the same to reinstall. Everything on the right side swapped on and fit fine. The left side (shifter) was even easier to remove/reinstall, and everything worked great installing my Bonne mids on the Thrux. HOWEVER, on the Bonne, the Thrux shift linkage comes into contact with the Bonne exhaust, forcing the shift lever to be tilted way up in order to work. The linkage can be adjusted for smooth shifting, but the actual shifter peg is way too high (with my foot comfortably on the footpeg, the shifter peg is approx 1" above the toe of my boot).

Obvious solutions include going to Thruxton headers/mufflers in order to gain the clearance; evidently Thruxton headers mount significantly lower on the frame than Bonneville headers, providing mucho clearance on both sides. Another fairly simple solution is to engineer an extension onto the shift linkage, effectively lowering the shifter peg about 3". Since I really like my ceramic coated headers and Epco mufflers, I'm going to pursue the latter solution with my meagre machining skills and try to avoid having it look too home-made.

Last edited:

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
FWIW, I swapped my Bonne mid controls with a guy for his Thrux rearsets. The Thrux owner and I swapped everything on the left (brake) side from the brakeline forward (disconnected at the caliper). Brakelight switch, master cylinder, reservoir, the whole enchilada. Took about 20 minutes to take it off and about the same to reinstall. Everything on the left side swapped on and fit fine. The right side (shifter) was even easier to remove/reinstall, and everything worked great installing my Bonne mids on the Thrux. HOWEVER, on the Bonne, the Thrux shift linkage comes into contact with the Bonne exhaust, forcing the shift lever to be tilted way up in order to work. The linkage can be adjusted for smooth shifting, but the actual shifter peg is way too high (with my feet comfortably on the footpeg, the shifter peg is approx 1" above the toe of my boot).

Obvious solutions include going to Thruxton headers/mufflers in order to gain the clearance; evidently Thruxton headers mount significantly lower on the frame than Bonneville headers, providing mucho clearance on both sides. Another fairly simple solution is to engineer an extension onto the shift linkage, effectively lowering the shifter peg about 3". Since I really like my ceramic coated headers and Epco mufflers, I'm going to pursue the latter solution with my meagre machining skills and try to avoid having it look too home-made.

Sounds like a mission and a half there is one other option for rearsets becoming available. I was sold on Norman Hyde rearsets but now I am really confused because they have no adjustment. I am 167cm tall pritty small and I have ace bars which I am about to install. Dont like the Raask Rearsets either they look cheap. Anyway I found them after several hours of searching the net to no avail. However they have not indicated costs yet, but anyway here is the link they look nice

http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/880.html

I am now really confused and don't know which way to turn in times like this it is best to wait I think.

Kindest Regards Ben Dickens:headbang2:

Easy13

Street Tracker
If you can swap foot controls AND EXHAUST with a Thrux owner, It's a piece of cake, Ben. Thruxtons and Bonnevilles share the same frame; the Thrux just has headers that extend a couple inches further back than those on a Bonneville, allowing additional space for clearance at the master cylinder and the shift linkage. If you find a Thruxton guy that wants to get away from the rearsets, just plan to swap exhaust systems along with foot controls and you both will be pleased with the outcome.

Last edited:

Easy13

Street Tracker
UPDATE: Looking at the shifter peg on the Thrux rearsets, it's not threaded on, as it is on a Bonneville. It's like a bigass rivet and I just couldn't make myself drill out the mount; it looks too good as it is. So now I'm committed to replacing my Bonne exhaust with Thrux headers/mufflers. Thankfully, even in South Carolina it's too damn cold to ride just now, so I'm down for parts...

If anyone is interested, I have a set of black ceramic-coated Bonneville headers in excellent condition(no scratches or damage) I'll sell for $130 plus shipping. I also have a pair of flawless Epco low-mount stainless steel mufflers for the same price. PM me if interested, I'll post all this in the classifieds in a day or two.