White Helmet... Sharpie Marker... Boredom

bonZa

Street Tracker
nothing like a controversial political figure such as Che to bring out the worse or best in people. I wonder what the reaction would be if they were despots like Hitler, Pol Pot, etc instead.

BTW. nice work Arkwright

coopv2

Street Tracker
Art for arts sake. no matter how creative or how useless your artistic talent, someone else always has to piss on the parade. by by chocoloco we will miss you
Heres my bucket.
picture.php

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Damnnit. I really want to get a white full face and have someone do this now. except with pin up girls and boikes

coopv2

Street Tracker
Love that look Coop...

Is it engraved?
I used the point of a small needle file. and just freehand scratched into the surface, took about 30 hours
picture.php

Damnnit. I really want to get a white full face and have someone do this now. except with pin up girls and boikes
HHMMM I also have the same idea, just got me one of them AGV flat white monza style lids, just not yet had time to work out what to apply.

strokerlmt

I used the point of a small needle file. and just freehand scratched into the surface, took about 30 hours
picture.php

HHMMM I also have the same idea, just got me one of them AGV flat white monza style lids, just not yet had time to work out what to apply.

very very cool Coop.....
LMT

coopv2

Street Tracker
Heres the new canvas. removable liner, composite light weight shell, flat white paint. 5 star safety rating. definite sharpie material
agv%20s4%20white.jpg

Arkwright

Two Stroke
I started this thread a couple of years ago after I attacked my Helmet with a Sharpie Permanent Marker...

Well a couple of years on and I attacked it again, but this time I have discovered the slightly 'girlie' delights of decoupage.

The comic strip may not mean much to our American brethren, but here in the UK, the Beano comic is a bit of an institution and kept me amused through most of my childhood (and if I'm honest, it still does today.)

Enjoy!

B Hel 1.jpg

B Hel 2.jpg

B Hel 3.jpg

B Hel 4.jpg

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Awesome !
Could you share a bit about the technique? What kind of glue did you use and did you clear coat etc?

I did some research before hand regarding the issue/myth around sticking stuff on helmets and affecting the helmets integrity etc.

What I have managed to discover is that if you use PVA (wood) glue it will not have any adverse affect on your helmet whether it be fibre glass or polycarbonate.

Regards technique, the first thing you need to do is provide a key for the PVA to stick to. Therefore a good sanding is in order before you start. Then I simply got a copy of the comic I wanted to use and pretty much cut out every little story box so that I had ample to choose from. I then started at the top of the helmet and after applying PVA glue to the cut outs applied them very gently. A bit of patience is needed smoothing out the pictures as they obviously don't sit flat on a round surface. Basically, the smaller the picture, the easier it is to apply. Keep adding pics in any order that pleases you (ok to overlap) until the entire helmet is covered.

I let the pics dry overnight and the next day applied the first of 8 cotas of clear coat. I used the following product, but any acrylic clear coat should do the job. http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---7228/pccode---6751

Now a word of warning. After covering the whole helmet, applying the clear coat and letting it cure overnight, I refitted the visor only to find that because of the extra thickness I had added with the pics and clear coat, my visor was now scraping the area just above my forehead. You will note that area in the picture is now white after I had to remove the pictures and clear coat on that area for the visor to work correctly. In view of this you may wish to check your visor clearances before you start.

Anything else you want to know, just ask....

Last edited:

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
[QUOTE
slightly 'girlie' delights of decoupage.

[/QUOTE]

A bit, yes. But very cool as well.:c
Just don't admit to scrapbooking or making potpourri...