running true ?

sportyone

Street Tracker
Hi guys,
just out of interest, how do you check if your bonneville is running true, meaning in line, straight etc ?
as the rear & front are different width tyres, you can't just use a straight edge or can you ?

how can you check & how would you adjust if it was out ?
hope someone out there can shed some light ?

coopv2

Street Tracker
Was there some camber on the road, and how much had you to drink.
Try and prop the bike up level, a pile of bricks on each side with a short plank running east west under the frame. that will give you a clear zone from front to back.
get yourself a long straight edge, (perfectly straight) run it along the left side of the rear tire, also propped up front to rear as high as you can. against the rear rubber, all the way past the front tire,
adjust the steering to make the front tire parallel to the straight edge. measure the inside of the Straight edge to the inside edge of the front tire. write that down, move the straight edge to the right side, and do the whole thing again.
If you see that the right side is not front tire parallel, then the rear wheel needs to be adjusted on one side.. repeat this process until you have the same distance from tire to straight edge on both sides of the front tire
good luck.

Last edited:

coopv2

Street Tracker
It's just today I was traveling down a straight road at speed & I thought I'd do what we all have done as kids on a bicycle,
let go of the handlebars for abit . . . . & it seemed to want to go left ?? :ride:

Oh and once you get it all running straight down the road, you can now graduate to standing on the seat.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Some of our roads around here are so crowned (high center) that it regularly wears out the rear tires unevenly one side to the other. It will also affect how much handlebar input it takes to ride a straight line, sober even.
Does that make sense? It's been a long one today. (out Christmas shopping with the wife) and to beat all, my Gamecocks were whipped soundly in the SEC Championship game, Dammit Man!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I used to have a curtain rod I used to check the straightness of the wheels. Just pop some nuts and bolts on one side and slide the thing along the rear tire to the front adjust the nuts for the difference in the tire width. Wallah, an alignment tool.