Snow ride.

monty

Street Tracker
Right then, common sense says that when the temperature in minus two, with a likleyhood of snow, you don't ride towards it. However.............

Cardiff, where I live is the capital of Wales. Some thirty miles up the valley we enter the Brecon Beacons national park. The area is quite hilly with some fine views.
The road through there runs from South Wales all the way up to North Wales, some 250miles roughly.

Took the Bonnie out over the Beacons into the town of Brecon itself where I stopped for a fine traditional breakfast of Bacon eggs sausage fried bread beans and tomatos. Washed down with coffee and toast.
Then I turned around and rode home.

A few photos then...................................................

Attachments

• IMG00467-20101202-1049.jpg
    IMG00467-20101202-1049.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00464-20101202-1043.jpg
    IMG00464-20101202-1043.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00466-20101202-1048.jpg
    IMG00466-20101202-1048.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00468-20101202-1302.jpg
    IMG00468-20101202-1302.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00461-20101202-1042.jpg
    IMG00461-20101202-1042.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0

monty

Street Tracker
Ah!
Neither I'm afraid. No snow chains and snow tyres.
I'm running Pirreli Sport Demons thingys, stock sizes. The Bonnie is exactly how I rode it in what passes for a summer over here.

Monty

As a Brit expat who remembers those days but is now sitting in 80 degrees F, I have one word to say to you Monty - NUTTER! :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Disretion being the better part of valor, I hope you exercise some sense and please don't ride in the snow Monty,it is fucking dangerous.

I seriously hope this is a prank and this guy is just kidding us. People here shouldn't be encouraging Monty. What are you going to say if he gets hurt bad? This is fucking stupid and dangerous. Is bacon and eggs worth being seriously injured? Please do not ride in the snow Monty - you and I are both too old for that shit. You can walk around and live a decent life and live to ride again next year and many more if you just use your brain and think.

Ride safe.

Last edited:

monty

Street Tracker
Disretion being the better part of valor, I hope you exercise some sense and please don't ride in the snow Monty,it is fucking dangerous.

I seriously hope this is a prank and this guy is just kidding us. People here shouldn't be encouraging Monty. What are you going to say if he gets hurt bad? This is fucking stupid and dangerous. Is bacon and eggs worth being seriously injured? Please do not ride in the snow Monty - you and I are both too old for that shit. You can walk around and live a decent life and live to ride again next year and many more if you just use your brain and think.

Ride safe.

Sal,
I feel humbled that someone thousands of miles from me should take the trouble to pen these words and respect your perspective without reservation. I accept that it is fucking dangerous and would never seek to cause others to follow in my tyre tracks.

This is not a prank though and I'm kidding no one. I require no encouragment to ride my bike and never have in nearly thirty years of riding.
In a previous life I have been a despatch rider and also instructed people to ride. Riding in the snow is part and parcel of biking here. There will always come a time when the bike stays in the garage and the rider walks to the pub, but this is what we do, but last Thursday I wanted to see my country at it's most extreme.

In February 2011, along with 1500 other ticket holders I will be riding to the mountains of Snowdonia{ there's a clue in the name} for the 50th Dragon Rally. In recent years the ride up has been in snow and the tickets for next years rally sold out within the month.
We also do the Elefantreffan in Bavaria which is held in January.

We all use our bikes in different ways. I love my Bonnie to bits. I will never part with it, we have had many adventures and this was just the latest.

I have attached some pictures of the Elefantreffan for you to see.

Monty

Attachments

• elefant 035.jpg
    elefant 035.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
  • elefant 034.jpg
    elefant 034.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • elefant 032.jpg
    elefant 032.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00469-20101202-1302.jpg
    IMG00469-20101202-1302.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0

Kiwi

Two Stroke
We have a couple of winter rallies here too, "The Brass Monkey" and "The Cold Kiwi" which can get snow/ice, but they're nothing like that Bavarian one - bugger that!

In your second pic has the bike on the right got snow chains on the front wheel? I've never seen anything like that on a bike.

Attachments

• elefant 035 crop.jpg
    elefant 035 crop.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
I also use to ride in the snow in my youth when I lived in the UK. Had to get to work, and only owned a bike.

I still ride now every day. But living in Australia I dont arrive with an icicle hanging of my nose lol
Dont miss the white stuff at all.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
There is a manufacturer out there called Wunderlich (or something like that). I beleive they are based out of Austria and they manufacture motorcycle tire chains that look like the ones in the photo above.

RearChain.jpg

monty

Street Tracker
I was as suprised as you, Kiwi, when I saw snow chains on a bike. Some use just rear others use front and rear. Some friends of mine have done the Taurentreffen which is more extreme again. They ordered chains from Germeny for their outfits.
Solos are very much in the minority at that rally. It's held up a mountain, some 1,800m up in Austria. Some guys go to the Elefant then leave and attend the Taurentreffen.
I don't get on with outfits.:sidecar:

Monty

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Monty ,

I am impressed by your superior riding skills and I apologize for my rough words. Here of course we have ice racing and that sort of thing, but that doesn't mean I take my Bonneville out on street tires. I do still think its a hell of a risk, but wish you all the best.

Sal

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
I don't feel comfortable at all on snow after I hit a snow covered patch of ice when putting bike in storage a couple years ago.
But, I'd like to try with a light dualsport with suitable tires. In europe we got manuf's like Trelleborg and Heidenau making real winter tires, studded or unstudded, and most importantly - with a rubber compound that stays soft in cold temperatures

here's a guy with brass balls - a Z1300 with studded Trelleborg Army tires
helge-vinter-fjell.jpg