Cracks in tires - 2010 T100

rdt303

Scooter
Bought a 2010 T100 in fall 2009. Has about 3,000 miles on the original Lasertecs and I am starting to notice many little cracks in the front tire wall. There are none in the back tire at all. Bike is garaged and covered, so it is not a sun issue. I took it to my Triumph dealer and they said it was OK. Really? Has anyone else see this?

Sorry fellas. Here are pictures of the front tires, with the four digit number:

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Can't know what it is if you don't post pics.

But..... if you look at the coding on the tire you can determine how old the tire is. There's tons of "new" tires for cars, at least, that were manufactured years ago but are still sold as new.

If your T100 has the wire wheels then there aren't as many choices for replacement tires.

There's tons of threads for tires in this forum. Check em out.

It's good advice to check the date code on the tire. If you find out it's more than one? two? years old as of date of purchase, you might have a warranty claim and you would certainly have a point to argue about.

But it might not be too old, just stored in a bad environment or "off" rubber when it was made. In any case, you're probably not going to get much satisfaction after 3000 miles, at best your credit might be pro-rated.

Maybe you could negotiate a discount on a new tire and/or free installation, as a sign of good will from the dealer. That might keep you a satisfied customer.

Or contact Metzeler and see what they say about it.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Bought a 2010 T100 in fall 2009. Has about 3,000 miles on the original Lasertecs and I am starting to notice many little cracks in the front tire wall. There are none in the back tire at all. Bike is garaged and covered, so it is not a sun issue. I took it to my Triumph dealer and they said it was OK. Really? Has anyone else see this?

Had the same issue with the front Lasertec on my Thruxton a few years ago. Not likely you'll get any satisfaction from the dealer at this point, perhaps a pro-rated credit on the purchase of a replacement (that would be way too expensive anyway). I replaced it with a Dunlop GT501.

Cracks generally indicate age and/or storage conditions, as has been mentioned. It matters not why they're there, only that they are potentially dangerous. I wouldn't ride much on that tire if I were you.

normandy

Street Tracker
All the tire cracks that I know of over the years came from cleaning soaps, shoe polish, wd40 and other cleaning agents that should NOT be used on tire rubber. When you clean the wheels be careful not to get the cleaner on your new tire.

DIRK

750cc
there are cracks and then there are CRACKS. if you have small hairline cracks in the sidewall and tread area it is possible you just have a tyre that is getting old. as before check the build date on the side wall by the dot # 4 digits, week and year. if the tyre is just a couple of years old then just go ride the damn thing. if you have CRACKS, well then you have a different issue.Deep cracks in the tread area and side wall are warning that something else is going on. your dealer should be able, if they are willing to pick up the phone to assist you with their Metzler rep and get your tyres taken care of.You need to take photos ( post them here so I /we can see ). so do you have cracks ,or CRACKS? smoking it does not count!

rdt303

Scooter
Pictures Added

Great info guys. I really love this forum. I have added pictures. Also, these are the spoked rims.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
What a mystery. Since the tire coding wasn't enacted till the year 2000. And since the code number on your tire is 1968..... Could it be possible the tire is over ten years old?? The coding doesn't conform to the US standard or the tire was manufactured in the 19th week of 1968??

OR......you took a picture of the wrong number. Should start with DOT.. my tire was built.. in Brazil no less.. 12th week of 06.

But, that tire isn't looking good. my 2007 has no cracking like like that. Similar miles and three years older.

I'd dig into my piggy bank and replace it.

rdt303

Scooter
What a mystery. Since the tire coding wasn't enacted till the year 2000. And since the code number on your tire is 1968..... Could it be possible the tire is over ten years old?? The coding doesn't conform to the US standard or the tire was manufactured in the 19th week of 1968??

OR......you took a picture of the wrong number. Should start with DOT.. my tire was built.. in Brazil no less.. 12th week of 06.

But, that tire isn't looking good. my 2007 has no cracking like like that. Similar miles and three years older.

I'd dig into my piggy bank and replace it.

DOT F300 2008 - Made in Brazil

mark66

TT Racer
It's a little late for my 2 cents worth, but I wouldn't ride on that tire much more. Way to new of a tire to have cracks like that. When I pulled my 1972 BSA out of storage just 3 years ago its tires were from 1976 and only had tiny surface cracks, nothing that looked like what you have there. Like I said, just my 2 cents.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Followup (after the pics)

Lad, those do not look like simple 'surface cracks' to me. Replace the tire as soon as you can - and make sure you check your tire pressures regularly (before every ride if possible). Those cracks look almost like that tire was run underinflated.

You guys are welcome. I had talked to a friend of mine who has been riding since he was a lad, and he took one look at my tire and said - "Hmmm, Weatherchecking". That being said, I got over 13K out of my front tire before I replaced it, mostly because I was ready to do a long road trip up and down the west Coast. I did notice cracks at around 8K, but they never got a bigger, so I let it be. FYI - I bought a 2009 T100 near the end of 2008.

Or, I supposed one could just take some shoe polish to the sidewalls, and it would be good as new! Just like Bert Munro did in the World's Fastest Indian.