New Acquisition - '08 Scrambler

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Exhaust upgrade question(s)

Guys, I'm not going to yank my airbox (I know, I'm a weenie); but I will be pulling the snorkel and restrictor plate, and maybe even opening up the other end of the filter. From the data I've seen, I'll get more or less the same results this way if I'm keeping the original carbs (which I am - at least for now). I know I'll need to re-jet, so....

Here's my criteria for choosing a replacement for the 'sewing machine' OEM exhaust (in no particular order):

1. Power improvement
2. Aural enhancement (but not so loud I'll get arrested)
3. Weight reduction
4. Visual improvement

I've been checking around, and there are too many options for me to make this choice without a little help. I'm leaning toward a slip-on based solution, mostly just for ease of implementation; but I'm not stuck on that, and cost isn't really an impediment.

On to my options...

I really like the looks of the new British Customs setup (the 'high header' system), and it would damn sure accomplish #3 and #4; but they don't have any dyno data yet and I don't know what they sound like. On the high side of average for price, although not too bad for a full system.

I also like the looks of the Shark system (high pipes), although they might just be TOO high for what I want functionally (a 'Tiger Cub' ADV bike is the target). I DO LIKE THE 'SPLIT' (one pipe on each side) LOOK.

The Thunderbike slip-ons would be my next choice, and they definitely have the data for performance. The black slip-ons look good (IMHO) with the standard heat shields. Pricing similar to the BC and Shark systems.

D&D would, of course, be an option; but I KNOW they're loud as hell. At roughly half the price of the above options, they're definitely something to consider. Don't know how much weight would be saved; probably some.

TORS are out, as they weigh roughly the same as the OEM system, which is way too heavy. They do sound okay; but I'm not a huge fan of the stock look in that area either.

So my good friends... Keeping in mind my criteria, does anyone have other options for me to consider? How about pics and sources?

I'm pretty much open at this point, although I've been chattin' with Carlos at BP about the new Predators they're working on for the Scram as well. No details yet.

Thanks in advance lads!

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I like the look of the Norman Hyde full scram exhaust. Spendy, but cool lookin, just a thought... nice bike!

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I like the look of the Norman Hyde full scram exhaust. Spendy, but cool lookin, just a thought... nice bike!

Thanks for the input 2M, I actually hadn't considered the NH full system. It does look good, and you know the quality would be up there with the best. Now if only I could find some dyno results - and get somebody to do a black powder coat. ;)

Anybody have any idea how the weight of this system compares to stock? It looks kinda heavy.

Last edited:

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Finally... an update

Okay guys, after hearing lots of opinions and considering the ideas of others as well as my personal preferences I decided to try and put together an exhaust system on my own with readily available pieces. In addition to the new mufflers I scuffed the chrome on the heat shields and painted them black.

Also new in these pics is the bash plate, case guards, windscreen, and Progressive shocks.

TigerCub1.JPG

TigerCat2.JPG

For those who are interested, those mufflers by themselves are WAY TOO F'ING LOUD and I augmented them with a pair of baffle inserts (ahead of the mufflers). The result is excellent. I'll take the time to shoot some video with audio so you can hear 'em later.

Right now, the weather is perfect for a little 'paint cure' ride. :cheer:

mark66

TT Racer
Very nice job....love the black and chrome on the pipes/mufflers. That's a great looking Scram.:up:

Hi FoothillRyder,

Your pipes look & sound fantastic, are the baffels in during your latest video?

how about some photos to show how its done !!

Well done Matey.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Hi FoothillRyder,

Your pipes look & sound fantastic, are the baffels in during your latest video?

how about some photos to show how its done !!

Well done Matey.

Thanks, and yes the baffles are in (I never rode it without them, it was way too f'ing loud!). It's actually about the right level.

How-to photos... hmmm... I have a vid up there with a few pics of things 'in process'; but it's not really a how-to. Pretty basic wrenching really.

dschief

750cc
They both sound great! Makes me want a 270 engine now. Anybody want to trade a Scrambler for a Thruxton?

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Okay.... so now a jetting question

Okay guys, I've done some riding now with the new 'custom' pipes and tried to make some observations. She definitely feels stronger overall, which I expected; but what my BD (butt dyno) tells me is that she pulls a bit harder on part throttle than full throttle (in the midrange). When I do a plug chop, the plugs are almost too clean (bordering on white). If I go ride more normally and pull them, they're a nice tan color - almost normal. FWIW, the snorkel is gone as is the restrictor.

I'm thinking at this point (lacking any sort of real A/F measurement) that I should go up several sizes on the mains and (for the moment) leave everything else alone. I have several main jet sizes (125, 130, 135) as well as 42 pilots if I need them.

What do y'all think? Try 130's?

TIA.

tribear

Street Tracker
Yup. I've found that my Scram prefers it a bit more rich at WOT. Give it a try, easy enough to swap back. I think you'll find the flat spot on top goes away.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
the latest...

Here's some pics of the newest bits.

I decided I needed a bit more light coming out of the front, just to be sure I was seen. So I changed the bulb in the headlight to one of the 8000K Xenon's and added a couple of LED auxiliary lights.

ScramLights.JPG

And for the rear I installed one of the NB kits to add the running lights (and get rid of the plastic chrome bits).

ScramLights2.JPG

And yes, the top box was added as well. Nothing beats having locking storage.

ScramTrunk.JPG

Also installed a set of 125 mains (because I had 'em) and went for a little ride. She's pulls noticeably harder, with a bit more popping on decel. I haven't installed the AI kit yet, so I'm hoping that will reduce the popping a bit.

She's almost ready for some exploration....