Doggie prison break.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Interesting week for me. Blew like hell the first couple of days. Didn't think much about it. Dogs were in & out thru the doggie door as usual. Wednesday Night the breakout occurred. Started to go to bed and I was one dog short. Thought she had already gone to bed, stupid me.

I look around in the back and, what the hell? Evidently the wind had blown strong enough to blow open a locked gate. My Malto-mutt had flown the coop. I get in the car and look around for a couple of hours. No luck. Next morning I post in the lost and found at shelters, CL, etc. I call the shelters. No luck. I spend the day looking for her on the mean streets of Lake Arbor (joke) stopping every dog walker I see. No luck. I spend the night exhausted and drained.

I get up the next day. today, do the same thing till I'm exhausted. I take a nap. I get up and a message from officer Fish is on the answering machine. He recovered my dog last night (two hour chase) turned her in to the local shelter without her collar. A good citizen finds the collar and turns it in to him. He calls me and I'm estatic. I head down to the police station, retrieve the collar, sign a nuisance ticket ($75, will be in the mail). I do get two free gun locks though.

I head to the animal shelter. They initially can't find the right dog. I'm sweating bullets. FINALLY they find her, charge me a $65 "bailout" fee plus $20 for 2 days kenneling. I point out they've had her less than 24 hours, but no dice. Sooo $85 and out she comes, happy to be bailed out.

We head home, pull into the garage and before I can get the door down, she zooms out and I chase her for about a block before I can get her corraled.

Moral of the story:: Check you gates after a big windstorm...even if they're locked. Always ask for free gun locks when you're at the police station.

And always remember that if you initially got your dog at an animal shelter, they might have gotten there for a good reason because they're prone to wander.

And..... all's well that ends well, even if you're $160 poorer.

Last edited:

Bonniebret

Rocker
As a former dog owner I'm so glad things worked out despite the cost. I've had the same thing happen with a gate being left open but I was out of town. Fortunately our dog was found before I returned.

Nick Morey

Rocker
It's the emotional rolllercoaster you pay more than the bucks you fork out. I'd keep a tight leash on her now, though. Hopefully, she'll grow out of that running stuff in time.

Last edited:

T-boy

Rocker
Glad to hear the lil mutt is back home safe. Too bad about the $160 though. Do you know where or far away the rascal was when he was caught?

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Glad you got her back, and hopefully she'll change her ways. At least you got a couple of kewl helmet locks for all your troubles.

koifarm

Hooligan
Glad you got her back Kirkus, been there, done that, pain in the ass. I resolved it by stringing electric fence wire six inches off the ground just in front of the inside of the fence, using the fence posts to hold the insulating standoffs, same for the gates. After a week my dogs showed no interest in going anywhere near the fence, or gate and to this day they will stop five feet away from the gate while I open it and bring them through.
If you don't find some way to curtail the behavior they will keep doing it even to the point of digging under or even climbing the fence.
Good luck...

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, she was found about 4 blocks away. She's never acted like this before. It was just an opportunity she couldn't pass up.

On the agenda is a chip and a fix.

koifarm

Hooligan
Chip and a fix

Well, she was found about 4 blocks away. She's never acted like this before. It was just an opportunity she couldn't pass up.

On the agenda is a chip and a fix.

That's funny, the wife said maybe I needed the same thing not too long ago....not worried about the chip but the "fix" part has me scared.....

:lol:

slobinski

Scooter
Isn't it funny how some dogs have an insane urge to run and wander, but others don't? My last one was a second-hand golden retriever, who absolutely hated being confined, but once he learned his boundaries, never wandered further than the neighbor's place, and spent the rest of his days on an unfenced two acre lot. He was always there to greet me and was a loyal pal and friend to all. RIP, Thunder.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
My Million Mile dog who was on a Semi with me for almost 9 years, never offered to wander at all.

When I got off the road and he was in a house, he learned to open the gate if it wasn't latched right. He'd go out to the front lawn and lay down and wait for me to get back. If my Mom noticed him she'd open the front door and he'd come back in.

Attachments

• botts in drivers seat.jpg
    botts in drivers seat.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
so lucky. No fences and both my dogs think there is one lol
best dogs I have ever had
2960773800100875198S600x600Q85.jpg

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Good idea about the chip and fix; that might calm down the wanting to roam. My male boxer took a "cruise" on me and decided to leap the 8 ft fence in the back yard. I guess it is something he could of done all along, he just "decided" to do it one day. Good Christ...I was hunting high and low for this dog; having a two year little boy screaming bloody murder because his best buddy is gone will motivate you to spend that extra hour or two in finding him :D Zak was finally found and brought home...I think he went on the prowl that day because he has since been fixed and doesn't even mess with the fence anymore. I thought it was going to be a problem...you know the saying...once they know/learn they can do something, then it is often done again but not the big guy...he just chills and lives the good life. I'm glad you found your dog with minor hassles and that she is alright and home.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, I got a real surprise in the mail today. Not one but two, count em, two dog at large citations and they're not the $75 I was told. There's a $25 processing fee on top of the fine. So now I gotta head to the copstation again and get one dropped and ask what the hell is the processing fee for.

You'll find the processing fee is for the processing. They will claim that it cost them approximately $25.00 in wages, paper, electricity and posting to notify you about the $75.00 fine. Pay up and save the agro.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
So the sexy pregnant lady who wrote me up at the station could have saved her time and mine if she would have just turned over Kiddo's collar.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Got one ticket fixed (thanks meg). Gotta head down and pay the other. Although she's a good dog, she's also costing me money.... dammit. I will say this. Since she's gotten out of jail she seems a bit happier dog. A bit more spirited too.