Replacement Tires for Mag Wheel Bonneville

tbirdsp

Scooter
So is there anything other than the stock Metzler rear available in a 130/80 - 17 radial? All I'm finding are dual sport tires. I'm not a big fan of using wider tires than stock. Going to bias plies seems like a step backwards.

Hell, I may even try a Conti Trail Attack rear with a Road Attack front.

Stock tires are too expensive (unless someone has a good source?).

What are you guys using, even if different sizes?

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
So is there anything other than the stock Metzler rear available in a 130/80 - 17 radial? All I'm finding are dual sport tires. I'm not a big fan of using wider tires than stock. Going to bias plies seems like a step backwards.

Hell, I may even try a Conti Trail Attack rear with a Road Attack front.

Stock tires are too expensive (unless someone has a good source?).

What are you guys using, even if different sizes?

As Chris said... lots of choices...

Metzeler ME880's are long wearing touring compound tires that are a great choice... good all a round tire...

Dunlop GT 501's and Avon Road Riders are good choices in the sport touring class of tire... as are the Pirelli Sport Demons... probably the "stickiest" but fastest wearing of the class...

I generally run the ME880's but my dealers supplier was out so I'm running a Conti GO! rear at the moment... I really like it so far... excellent grip... if I get decent mileage out of it I may switch over...

I generally get around 5k miles out of a sport touring compound rear and 10K miles out of the front... With the Metzeler ME 880's I get around 9k miles on the rear and 20+k miles out of the front... Although they are more expensive to buy... I save over the long run by doing fewer change outs....

I've been VERY happy with the prices and customer service at American Motorcycle Tire... Even when you add in the shipping cost, they are hard to beat unless someone is having a sale...

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

Also, do a google search for Jake Wilson... they have some good prices too...

If you want to go a bit wider on the rear, you can run 140/80/17's with no problem... and a number of 150/70/17 will fit too if you want to go really wide...

tbirdsp

Scooter
OK - but the thing came with radials. All of the tires you mentioned are bias ply. I guess it doesn't really matter, but...

Personally I don't like to go wider. Really want to keep it less than $250 for the pair too.

Yeah - I have been looking at americanmototire, also Southwest Moto tire. Have bought other stuff from Jake Wilson, not tires though.

I have 3700 miles on the stock Metzlers. They should last me at least into next spring (only a couple of weeks left until the snow flies out here).

Last edited:

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
OK - but the thing came with radials. All of the tires you mentioned are bias ply. I guess it doesn't really matter, but...

Personally I don't like to go wider. Really want to keep it less than $250 for the pair too.

Yeah - I have been looking at americanmototire, also Southwest Moto tire. Have bought other stuff from Jake Wilson, not tires though.

I have 3700 miles on the stock Metzlers. They should last me at least into next spring (only a couple of weeks left until the snow flies out here).

Yeah, I "read over" the radial thingy... Most of the "sport touring" compound/class of tires are bias ply construction...

I'm sure that there are lines of tires that are radials... I've just never focused on them... Most "sport" compound/class tires are radials... but it is hard to find any narrower than a 150/70/17 size...

I would ask... is your riding style so aggressive that a radial design is really needed??

tbirdsp

Scooter
Not really, although I did drag the peg on both sides down in Arkansas earlier this year;) Not any roads like that around here unfortunately:yawn2:

Still - I'd rather use radials. I'm pretty sure I will try the Conti combo I mentioned above next year. Looks like I can get the pair for $227 shipped from SW Moto. The Trail Attack is based on the Road Attack so I doubt there will be any issues. I'll report my findings.