Ever hit a pedestrian ?

normandy

Street Tracker
I'm cruising along, keeping an eye out for fools when this turd steps off the curb in my path without looking and I almost lose the front end grabbing all my brakes and just barely missed running over his ass and laying down my bike.
So is hitting a person like hitting a deer where you most likely go down or can you drive up and over the moron without crashing ?

simpson

TT Racer
I almost hit a runner once in town. She had her iPod on and was cruising right across an intersection, right through her stop sign.
I grabbed and stabbed a bunch of brake, squealing the tires. She jumped back onto the curb and started apologizing...I gunned it, told her to watch out and drove a couple of blocks before pulling over and shaking the dookey out of my pants.

-simpson

Texas94fs

Hooligan
depends on how big they are and how exactly you hit them I'd imagine. if its straight on front you could probably plow them over, but if they bash off the handlebars to the side then it would probably throw you out of control or into a tank slapper.

Was she cute simpson? Coulda missed a great opportunity there mang.

motomaniac

Street Tracker
I hit one bonehead on a bicycle once. I was approaching an intersection on a 4 lane road which was bumper to bumper with dumptrucks so I was filtering ahead in the turn lane to get past when a goof on a bicycle decided to squeeze between these giant trucks straight into the turn lane. Of course, he never considers that someone might be in the turn lane at 7:45AM when everyone is trying to get to work, so he doesn't bother looking. I was going about 25mph and he rode straight into me from the side and hit my front tire. His body ended up on the headlight of my DP crushing the light, the plastic guards and the turn signals. I hit the brakes almost instantly and went over with my head under the rear wheel of the giant dumptruck. I was pinned under the bike and the guy in the truck wasn't even paying attention. He began moving forward when another pedestrian thankfully ran out and stopped him and helped pull the bike off me so I could get up. I nearly got my head crushed!
The idiot on the bike was bruised and was apologizing profusely but was taken away by ambulance anyways. I was left alone until the fuzz showed up. In Japan, the pedestrian or bicylist is never at fault so I was assessed with 99% of the blame/damages. The cops are really stupid here so it was pointless to argue anything with them even when the guy came back from hospital an hour later and said it was all HIS fault. Even while we were standing on the sidewalk another guy on a bicycle did exactly the same thing and was narrowly missed by a car in the turn lane in the exact same spot. Still, 99% my fault.
Lucky for me it wasn't a kid or a mother with two kids in bicycle baby seats (no restraints and no helmets ever).
I got off with simply buying the guy a new suit (which he magically ripped on the way to the hospital) and a new bicycle. My DP was much the worse for wear.

Many Many moons ago, when I first got my licence. Was at a Zebra crossing on UK and light changed to green so I pulled away, as a guy decided to rush acroos road. He turned and grabbed my handlebars (I was not going fast) and we were both fine. Now that would have been a great time to have had a Ped slicer on front lol :kick:

Happend on the way home from work today. I was at intersection waiting for the light to turn green for a left hand turn. It turns green, I go. Just after apexing the left turn I nearly hit 3 gang-banger black kids and had to stand up the bike and brake hard and almost lost my front because the street was moist. I pass them shaking my head. Apparently they didn't give a rat's ass that their pedestrian signal CLEARLY told them not to walk.

I was so mad I wouldn't have cared if I hit them. Dumb punk wanna-be punk thug kids think they dont need to follow rules.

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
I laid my bike down when some dozy tart stepped out from behind a van straight in front of me. She jumped back and fell over while I was lucky enough to just break my finger and scrape the buggery out of my bike. Dozy cow just got up and walked off. Never even asked if I was OK.

Motley

750cc
Yup!

I nailed me an ol' biddy back when I was a spotty youth. A friend an' I were toolin' along a back country road. He was in front, as we rounded a tight curve I see him swerve. Right there in my line is an ol' biddy with her bag of groceries. I missed here with the front wheel but nailed her with the left side of the handlebars. I then head-butted her with my face.

There were groceries scattered all over the road, and as I was lying in a heap under my bike, I saw here get up and walk to the side of the road. The first thought that came to mind........."thank gawd I didn't kill 'er".

As my buddy was pulling my bike off me, a cop car rounds the corner. :pd:

The ol' dear was unhurt, I had a fat lip the size of a grapefruit (or so it felt). The bike had some road rash.

The next day I made a statement at the barracks and that was the last I heard of it.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Not on a bike. but when I was OTR, I almost hit a guy who was literally staggering fall down drunk. Hauling down 80,000 lbs of rolling death is a task anytime, but this guy staggered in front of me almost fell down and then went on his merry was amidst the screech of airbrakes. Needless to say I also used my airhorns afterwards and that got his attention enough to flip me off. I guess God does take care of Drunks.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I hit one bonehead on a bicycle once. I was approaching an intersection on a 4 lane road which was bumper to bumper with dumptrucks so I was filtering ahead in the turn lane to get past when a goof on a bicycle decided to squeeze between these giant trucks straight into the turn lane. Of course, he never considers that someone might be in the turn lane at 7:45AM when everyone is trying to get to work, so he doesn't bother looking. I was going about 25mph and he rode straight into me from the side and hit my front tire. His body ended up on the headlight of my DP crushing the light, the plastic guards and the turn signals. I hit the brakes almost instantly and went over with my head under the rear wheel of the giant dumptruck. I was pinned under the bike and the guy in the truck wasn't even paying attention. He began moving forward when another pedestrian thankfully ran out and stopped him and helped pull the bike off me so I could get up. I nearly got my head crushed!
The idiot on the bike was bruised and was apologizing profusely but was taken away by ambulance anyways. I was left alone until the fuzz showed up. In Japan, the pedestrian or bicylist is never at fault so I was assessed with 99% of the blame/damages. The cops are really stupid here so it was pointless to argue anything with them even when the guy came back from hospital an hour later and said it was all HIS fault. Even while we were standing on the sidewalk another guy on a bicycle did exactly the same thing and was narrowly missed by a car in the turn lane in the exact same spot. Still, 99% my fault.
Lucky for me it wasn't a kid or a mother with two kids in bicycle baby seats (no restraints and no helmets ever).
I got off with simply buying the guy a new suit (which he magically ripped on the way to the hospital) and a new bicycle. My DP was much the worse for wear.

I noticed over the last couple of weeks that cars in Tokyo are VERY careful of pedestrians..

RonL

Scooter
I've heard people talk about a "pedestrian slicer". If this is the case, aren't you supposed to hit them? :chin:

Kframe

Street Tracker
Not a pedestrian, but a bicyclist once, kinda.
Was turning left from a main road into a gas station driveway, waiting for traffic to clear.
Saw my window and turned into the lot, right as a kid on a ten speed came sailing along on the sidewalk, right into my path.
I braked hard, he locked up his brakes, and we slid to a stop and he actually hit the right side of my front wheel with his front wheel, falling over off his bike.
I stayed up somehow, and after making sure the teen was okay I gave him a little scolding on bike safety. He was in the wrong, in this town you cannot bicycle on the sidewalks, and additionally he flew into the motorpath without looking or slowing.
Lucky little shit.

-K

DIRK

750cc
this am just missed a kid in a cross walk in the dark. dressed in black idiot did not hit the crossing light which flashes in the cross walk. just had his head down. blatant idiot!