Louder exhaust will be fined on newer bike build after 2013 in California.

DIRK

750cc
oh do not be concerned. you can run your diesel pu w straight pipes or you honda car with impunity in the golden state.

Well that's just FUCKING great!!! (sarcasm)

Does this now mean that bikes will need to get smog checked also? I hope to GOD not!!!

I guess the last motorcycle I buy before I put a loud ass pipe on it should be from 2012....and I recall correctly, that's the same year that Triumph will have a shitload of brand new models.

Here's probably the best comment left from the Sacramento Bee article:

"Congratulations Governor Schwarzenegger, you have your "legacy".
You will now be known has the governor who single handedly destroyed motorcycling in the state of California. Motorcycling dealerships, aftermarket suppliers, custom motorcycling manufacturers, motorcycling tourism, charities who benefited from motorcyclists, parts manufacturers, restaurants all will look to you as the source of their demise.
As with every other enterprise in this state that has faced prohibitive legislation adversarial to it's existence, it is a given that these businesses (those that can, those that can not will simply shut down) will be relocating to other states less restrictive to the motorcycling industry.
More jobs leaving California.
Also kudos to Fran Pavley. Her obvious agenda to strip this state of any means of transportation other than a bicycle, public transit or walking is reaching fruition.
I wonder how receptive the automotive community will be when she gets legislation passed to restrict THEIR means of transportation.
I am deeply saddened."

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The Republick of Kalifornia hasn't been able to kill of motorcycling and will never be able to kill it off. helmets laws didn't and this won't. Besides, enforcing a law like that will drive law enforcement crazy.

How about 50 bikes roaring by in a group being nice albeit noisy. Do you really think a cop will pull over all 50 and check the year of manufacture? About one time of that and discovering that there ain't one bike in violation since they're all 12s or older.

I like to compare law enforcement like fishing. Far more get away than are caught.

The laws you have to worry about will be the day your vehicle equipped with GPS will automatically be linked to a giant computer and every time you drive the computer will generate tickets mailed right to your home if you do anything wrong. It's on Semis right now and it's corporate, so how far behind will a scenario like that be?

Shit, I'm getting paranoid!!

Oriondk

moped
I think this was tried somewhere else and there were lawsuits because it didn't apply to other vehicles. As a motorcyclist himself and a supposed Republican I am truly surprised that he signed this.

MKNG TRX

Scooter
As a motorcyclist himself and a supposed Republican I am truly surprised that he (Schwarzenegger) signed this.

I'm not.... I wonder if Maria will also be caught riding a loud bike also like she was caught driving and using a hand-held mobile phone after he signed that very same law into effect?

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Kalifornia- leading the way to being POLICE STATE 2013.
I was stationed in Alameda for 4 years back in the late 70's early 80's and eventually got to hate having to pass thru Africa and or being harrassed by the fags while down at the wharf in Faireyland.
Beautiful State highways there but really weird bunch of laws being made by REALLY ODD bunch of characters. Arnold has been the biggest letdown in politics I can imagine. He has really turned into a political wienie and not the barbarian that his image would of implied. Another RINO just like South Carolina's Lindsey Gramnesty.
I am looking forward to hearing about how the pigs are gonna pull over a couple hundred Angels while out on a run for open pipes. Traffic will be tied up for hours, oh yeah, it already is, ain't it?

I was stationed in Alameda for 4 years back in the late 70's early 80's and eventually got to hate having to pass thru Africa and or being harrassed by the fags while down at the wharf in Faireyland.

WTF?? Do we really need that kind of talk on this forum?

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
Kalifornia- leading the way to being POLICE STATE 2013.
Beautiful State highways there but really weird bunch of laws being made by REALLY ODD bunch of characters. Arnold has been the biggest letdown in politics I can imagine. He has really turned into a political wienie and not the barbarian that his image would of implied. Another RINO just like South Carolina's Lindsey Gramnesty.
I am looking forward to hearing about how the pigs are gonna pull over a couple hundred Angels while out on a run for open pipes. Traffic will be tied up for hours, oh yeah, it already is, ain't it?

Ignore function completed. Thanks:finger:

ivar

TT Racer
The laws you have to worry about will be the day your vehicle equipped with GPS will automatically be linked to a giant computer and every time you drive the computer will generate tickets mailed right to your home if you do anything wrong. It's on Semis right now and it's corporate, so how far behind will a scenario like that be?

Shit, I'm getting paranoid!!

In Norway , we have huge vehicle taxes, based on weight, cc, emissions and HP. So the DOT are on the lookout for ppl who "cheats" by chiptuning their vehicles etc.
And one high-ranking DOT official suggested a system of mics along the road, along with speedcams, analyzing sound levels of passing vehicles, and automatically calling in suspicious vehicles for inspection...

Well, as one with modified pipes (BC Sleepers) who hates government intervention, I am a hypocrite for saying the following but I will say it anyway. Assholes ruin things for everyone -- the straight pipe crowd with mufflers so loud that windows shake seem to think their ear shattering noise is a pleasure to hear, but even I'm sick of it. Things have gotten out of hand in my area and need to be reined in before even worse ordinances are demanded --but hell if I know what can be done without punishing those, including me, who don't act like assholes when riding with aftermarket pipes. The CA rule sucks, but what else can be done?? I wish I knew, but it seems that doing nothing just promotes more weekend idiots with drag pipes, most riding a certain American made motorcycle brand. History shows that cops aren't the answer -- they never have been -- loud pipe ordinances have been in effect for decades.

KingBear

Hooligan
On the other hand...

Yeah, those of us who would make modest performance enhancements to our exhaust might make some noise, maybe even enough to tip the meter. I don't know if my second-hand TORs would be over the limit or not, I haven't even installed them yet.

But I get annoyed myself with the big cruisers and their loud pipes. Not just a little loud but really, really loud, like "fuck-you-what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it" loud. Same with cars, trucks, or whatever. Some guys enjoy riding up and down the streets revving it up just for the thrill of making noise and causing a disturbance. Those are the guys you should blame for this law, not the legislators.

The thing that bugs me is that it is only a secondary offense added onto whatever the rider was originally stopped for. So it's as if a cop can't stop a guy with pipes that are obviously way over the limit unless he observes some other violation? That's the problem to begin with, cops ignoring the obvious offenders and taking it out on everyone else.