Installing Predators

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Took the plunge and my Preds should be showing up this week. Can't wait...

While searching that "other" site I see a lot of mixed opinions on whether or not hi-temp silicone or similar should be applied to the header and then cans themselves for the install.

What do you guys think, or what did you do...and did it leak :)

Thanks

mark66

TT Racer
I installed D&D exhausts on my TBA and they recommended doing it so I did. If it seals up any leaks I figure that's a good thing. Also I could see where Triumph had done that to the stock exhaust.

PieMan

Two Stroke
Yes, definitely worth doing. You nearly always get leaks where the silencers meet the downpipes no matter how tight the clamps are, silicone fills those leaks.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Thanks guys.

A second related question. How the hell does the kickstand stop that comes with the pipes get installed. I assume the rubber bumper goes into the larger hole and the whole thing gets wrenched on to the frame (where I think a centerstand might get attached?) but it's not obvious to me. Anyone have a pic out there that they can share?

I put these pipes on last night (will take them off and re-install with hi-temp silicone this weekend) and boy they are f*cking looooud. I had the fast idle switch pulled out, started the bike and scared the shit out of myself - but there was definitely an ear to ear grin all the while. Can't wait to get remapped and giver her a run!!!

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Thanks guys.

A second related question. How the hell does the kickstand stop that comes with the pipes get installed. I assume the rubber bumper goes into the larger hole and the whole thing gets wrenched on to the frame (where I think a centerstand might get attached?) but it's not obvious to me. Anyone have a pic out there that they can share?

I put these pipes on last night (will take them off and re-install with hi-temp silicone this weekend) and boy they are f*cking looooud. I had the fast idle switch pulled out, started the bike and scared the shit out of myself - but there was definitely an ear to ear grin all the while. Can't wait to get remapped and giver her a run!!!

Sean at BC was quick in a response. Question answered. There was a bracket included for a centerstand stop and it was that piece that had me stumped. Pic attached...

Attachments

• DSC01812.jpg
    DSC01812.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01837.jpg
    DSC01837.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ashwinc

moped
what perfect timing ! My preds arrive later today and I was looking for the same insight into the sealant thing. this forum rocks !

its kinda rainy out here today, but after hearing your description, I'm going to set them up and ride no matter what :D

ashwinc

moped
I understand that w/o remapping with the preds on, the fuel + air mix will be very lean. Other than the blue-ing effect on the headers, would there be anything else that could go wrong while riding the bike w/o remapping till the dealership ? In my case, its about a 20min ride.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
I understand that w/o remapping with the preds on, the fuel + air mix will be very lean. Other than the blue-ing effect on the headers, would there be anything else that could go wrong while riding the bike w/o remapping till the dealership ? In my case, its about a 20min ride.

be ready for a lot of popping on your deceleration, the back pressure (or lack thereof) is the culprit. I have no idea if a new map will totally remedy it for me, I will find out on Monday. I've read that others have had to resort to pulling the AI too. Time will tell.

I put these pipes on last night (will take them off and re-install with hi-temp silicone this weekend)

When they were installed did they leak? I have replaced my exhaust twice. Once with TORS then Norman hydes and never used any sealant personally. Or for that matter needed it.

whyme

TT Racer
When I got my bike with the TORS I noticed leaks around the junction...tightened the clamps and it still leaked. I used hi-temp silicone this time and they are still as tight as a drum. The stock clamps don't seem that great...

jhillier71

Street Tracker
they leaked and i even used some shitty exhaust "joint and crack" filler that I had (it was worth a shot). Hi temp silicone is next on the list.

@ashwinc - I failed to also mention that the popping is most likely due to the bike running lean before you remap. I am assuming that the difference in backpressure plays a role but the bike running lean is probably the biggest culprit. Welcome to the forum BTW.

ashwinc

moped
thanks ! @jhiller

The pipes have arrived ! Love the craftsmanship on new bling. :)

what are the ill effects of riding the bike w/o the remap ? like can it cause any damage to the engine ?

I know I'm going to get it remapped, but just that there will be some riding ( < 25-30 miles) involved before I get to the dealer. So if theres a chance of permanent damage I'd much rather get it all done at the dealership. Don't want to mess up my new 2010 Thruxton.

FWIW, i've done 3k miles on it already, so its all nicely broken in.

ashwinc

moped
so I put on the mufflers and heard the popping on deceleration ( 2k-3k rpm) like everyone else.

I just got back from the dealer who remapped it to the aftermarket pipes + mechanical speedometer tune ( 020324 ). No more popping !

Also, I still have a leak at the exhaust clamps. So, for me, the popping didnt have anything to do with not having the clamps tight enough.

Its whole new experience riding with predators :)

Last edited: