Speedo not working Drive tag query

My speedo has stopped working. Found problem to be at the wheel, drive mechanism side. Removed drive mechanism & by hand it all seems good. Clockwise it rotates and anti clockwise it lifts to freewheel.

I noticed then that the drive plate in wheel near bearing, has only one tag to locate into the drive mechanism. Is this correct?
Also there is a lot of back and forth movement on the drive plate. I fitted drive back on while the wheel was removed and the thing is working when i twist it round. But when I re assemble it is not.
Any ideas would be great.

If not sure what I mean by drive tag there is a picture here http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/pdf/A9900247_EN-US_900_ForkGaiter[1].pdf (Page 5. It sort of looks like there are two tags but picture does not really help)

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
My speedo has stopped working. Found problem to be at the wheel, drive mechanism side. Removed drive mechanism & by hand it all seems good. Clockwise it rotates and anti clockwise it lifts to freewheel.

I noticed then that the drive plate in wheel near bearing, has only one tag to locate into the drive mechanism. Is this correct?
Also there is a lot of back and forth movement on the drive plate. I fitted drive back on while the wheel was removed and the thing is working when i twist it round. But when I re assemble it is not.Any ideas would be great.

If not sure what I mean by drive tag there is a picture here http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/pdf/A9900247_EN-US_900_ForkGaiter[1].pdf (Page 5. It sort of looks like there are two tags but picture does not really help)
Above two sentences are pretty incompatible, so my guess is...when you replaced the drive hub into the wheel and put the wheel on the bike, you didn't have the hub seated properly....or the hub positioned properly relative to the fork tube. If the hub will rotate the little flat end speedo drive shaft that engages with the cable when the wheel is off the bike, it pretty much has to do the same thing on the bike. I don't believe you can mount the hub on the bike without it being properly blocked by the fork tube...but maybe you have. Hub rotation has to be blocked by the fork tube...hub can't rotate...or shouldn't rotate past the flange on the fork....for it to work. If the hub flange passes the fork tube it won't work of course, but don't see how this would occur.
If you get really stymied by this, take some pictures and post.

It must be a simple hub seating issue is all I can think unless the hub is physically broken.
Have a look below. In the front view, the fork tab blocks the rotation of the hub.
In the side view, the cable attachment flange should be vertical for the proper positioning of the hub.

As a suggestion, before you mount the cable...install the wheel and with it off the ground, rotate the wheel forward and see if the hub flange rotates into proper position and the little drive shaft flat end rotates in sync with wheel rotation without the cable attached.
Hope that helps.

Good Luck.

Attachments

• Speedo Drive 1.jpg
    Speedo Drive 1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Speedo Drive 2.jpg
    Speedo Drive 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mark66

TT Racer
Believe there should be 2 tabs on that drive plate. With only 1 it may be shifting a little bit and loosing its complete fit to the drive mech. I know on the old bikes if both of those tabs weren't engaged completely it wouldn't work right. I can't imagine why you only have 1 unless it broke off and you missed finding it when you disassembled the wheel.

normandy

Street Tracker
Roger that, two tabs. I would clean out all the grease and try and find that tab as it will chew things up if left in there.

Thanks all. It is the drive plate for sure. Never found any bits in there but am thinking that either one of two places that removed wheel recently must have mangled it and managed to still make it work by locating the one tag. Have ordered a new one, and when it arrives will clean and regrease before assembling.

Speed3Chris. I know the two sentences sounded incompatable. Did to me as well lol
But I guess when wheel was off. The tag was locating as wheel was flat on ground. But when the wheel is upright the one locarting tag was able to slip out?

Oh and really apreciate pics as I did assemble correct. But your pics put my mind at ease.

Last edited:

Rocker

Two Stroke
Bit late with this but here's a pic of a new one. I didn't reassemble mine properly when I switched out my brake disc, should have taken a little more time I guess.
I managed to frig with the one I had to get it working with just 1 1/2 tangs left, when the snow flies I'll fit the new one.

Attachments

• 101_9537.jpg
    101_9537.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
Really apreciate everyones help on this. I have now ordered that part Rocker. And once I get it I will thoroughly clean the drive gear, as I reckon it must have jammed to rip of one tag, even though it moves freely. Also, as was mentioned. There could still be bits of tag in the grease/gunk. Anyway will let you know if works once part arrives and fitted. Again many thanks all