:piss:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG00053-20100925-1550.jpg
    IMG00053-20100925-1550.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0

mark66

TT Racer
That oil looks like its under your cam chain tensioner. There is a gasket under there that could be leaking. Not sure why it would start leaking but from the picture it looks like its coming from there. If thats where it coming from there is a procedure for removing that. Once you start you have to fully remove it and reset the plunger before retightening the bolts. Not sure if you have a service manual but you should read up on it before doing the job. There is also a sealing washer under the cap bolt which could be leaking. If your not sure of doing it yourself you can always have a dealer check it out.

koifarm

Hooligan
Looks like at this point it's a relatively minor leak and as Mark suggested there is a set procedure for servicing that particular chain tensioner.
I'd leave it, just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, either consult a manual or take it to your dealer.
If it's still under warranty then by all means take it to a dealer and have em fix it. Otherwise your better off just keeping an eye on it.

Easy13

Street Tracker
+1 with above.

It's amazing what gets called a leak around here. When an older Bonneville leaked, man, it freakin LEAKED! And they all freakin leaked. If it quit leaking, it meant that it was out of whatever it was that had been leaking. I think I had at least eight banjo bolts on my last "Lovely Leaker", and I don't recall any of them staying dry for long.

OK, end of rant, good luck with your leak, Mondo...

mark66

TT Racer
+1 with above.

It's amazing what gets called a leak around here. When an older Bonneville leaked, man, it freakin LEAKED! And they all freakin leaked. If it quit leaking, it meant that it was out of whatever it was that had been leaking. I think I had at least eight banjo bolts on my last "Lovely Leaker", and I don't recall any of them staying dry for long.

OK, end of rant, good luck with your leak, Mondo...

Easy, truer words have never been spoken!! Loved it when I'd pull in the garage or parked outside a pub and an hour later there would be oil all around under/an on the bike. That's how you'd know she was running right.:lol3::lol3::lol3:

koifarm

Hooligan
For sure on those older bikes leaking....too funny but too true. It was commonplace to put a tray or something under the bike when you garaged it. I kept mine outside so it wasn't too much of a problem except trying to clean all the oil that blew back along the frame and swingarm and the rear tire was usually coated with oil.
It was just one of those pleasures of owning a Trumpet.....

Easy13

Street Tracker
My wife made me buy an outdoor shed to store my Norton in because the smell of gas/oil from our attached garage kept her awake at night. Yeah, and I had a bigass cookie sheet (stolen from wife's kitchen, of course) that I kept under the bike, and I actually had to empty it from time to time! Now, THAT'S a leaker! And may I rot in Hell, I want another one! It'd be nice to have my '07 to ride and an old Triumph or Norton to sit and look at. I could stare at that old Commando for hours. It was alot safer than actually riding it, that's fer sure.

mark66

TT Racer
Take it all apart and clean it reallll good and put it back together.....
LMT

Yeah, then ride down the driveway, turn around and ride back, then do the above all over again.:crazy::crazy:

Thats why I still have and ride my BSAs. They do need an old bonnie and a commando or atlas for company!!

Easy13

Street Tracker
Go for an Atlas, Mark, the Isolastic engine mounts on the Commandos were a real pain. Solid mounts, man, feel that Bee-itch THROB! Just carry a "kit of spanners" to bolt everything back together every 500 miles or so.

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Go for an Atlas, Mark, the Isolastic engine mounts on the Commandos were a real pain. Solid mounts, man, feel that Bee-itch THROB! Just carry a "kit of spanners" to bolt everything back together every 500 miles or so.

What, like your knackers and kidneys?