I need someone's brilliant feedback regarding my headlight bucket...

Hey fellow NBR's,
Hope everyone is riding safe and your projects are going well. I have a 2004 Bonneville that I desperately want to change or paint the headlight bucket to black on, but I'm really dreading having to mess with all the awful wiring and whatnot. I've done a pretty good job of making my bike a mostly blacked out little beauty (pipes, handlebars, etc.), but I don't like the look of all the chrome on the front end with that big headlight. It's such a minor thing, there has to be a way to black out the bucket (think scrambler style) with only an hour or two of labor. Any and all suggestions, feedback, ideas, stories, wisdom, ridicule is much appreciated.

MES

750cc
there has to be a way to black out the bucket (think scrambler style) with only an hour or two of labor.
It is not hard to take the bucket off and put it back on. It is fiddley though.
It's just not a big deal.
Take the time to do it right.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
It doesn't take long to get the bucket off, once it is off rattle can it or PC if you so desire. Just take it slow when you are pushing those connectors thru the hole in the bucket. Make sure to use some adhesive (I used epoxy) to re-attach the rubber ring after paint drys. Nice and easy and you will have the whole job done in an hour or so plus paint drying time...

Edit: Start with the small connectors first and the big ones should come out easy... yes I was stupid enough to try a big one first.

Thanks for the info. What about replacing it with another bucket of the same dimensions in the front and with side mount screw holes? Do any of you think that could be done, maybe even with a slightly different shape? Or is that way too unlikely?

Bonniebret

Rocker
Thanks for the info. What about replacing it with another bucket of the same dimensions in the front and with side mount screw holes? Do any of you think that could be done, maybe even with a slightly different shape? Or is that way too unlikely?

It's all about being custom. You can do anything you want but you'll to find a way to stow those wires. You can also get a powdercoated bucket if you want.

http://www.triumphperformanceusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=42&zenid=u7p1j558i94c959q6caf6gned0

I think that link is exactly what I'm looking for! That's for the same thing I'd pull of my bike, but already powder coated, right? I can just buy that and swap them out. This is why I brought this to the forum. Thanks!

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
If you're gonna pull your bucket, grab some tape, and tape BOTH ends of the wires at the connections. A+A, B+B etc etc...that way, when you put everything back together, you know what goes to what.

Easy...

Bonniebret

Rocker
I think that link is exactly what I'm looking for! That's for the same thing I'd pull of my bike, but already powder coated, right? I can just buy that and swap them out. This is why I brought this to the forum. Thanks!

Yup, but you have to send them your old one in exchange.

strokerlmt

It seems imposing at first but I take mine off all the time. It is also a great opp to re tape the wires to make them more compact in the bucket. Take the rubber off the back hole.....sand and paint....when you put the rubber back on I used rubber cement and let it cure over night. That way when I pushed the wires back in it didn't keep falling inside the bucket. Be careful not to cross thread the bracket bolts going into the bucket, it is soft threading and if you cross thread you might end up with a bucket on the work bench waiting to be drilled out and re tapped. There are some pics of mine in projects somewhere showing the bucket thing , I even made the back hole a little bigger for ease.
LMT

If you're gonna pull your bucket, grab some tape, and tape BOTH ends of the wires at the connections. A+A, B+B etc etc...that way, when you put everything back together, you know what goes to what.

Easy...

the connectors only fit together one way. As long as you keep white/white, black/black, you can't go wrong.

Bullitt

Two Stroke

Easy...

I used this method and it was far easier than I thought it was going to be.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Piece 'o cake.. I did the bucket in 20% flat powder, and the ring in gloss.

ST20.jpg

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
The wiring in the headlight bucket is tight and a pig to get back in, but it's do-able. I did it as part of my last winter project (click on black bonnie in my signature), part of which was de-chroming and powdercoating my headlight assembly. The connectors are all individual and unique so I didn't need to mark any as they only fit one way (with the exception of the indicators/ turn signals). Good luck.