2010 Catalina Island Grand Prix

KingBear

Hooligan
From their lips to God's ears, I hope this legendary race is resurrected. This would be so cool!

"The impossible dream has indeed become a reality!! This epic race, that occurred from 1951 through 1958, that all the experts agreed could never happen again, has been resurrected and is scheduled for December 4th and 5th, 2010. With the support of the City of Avalon, the Santa Catalina Island Company, and the residents and merchants of this magical isle, this great event will take place once again."

Once the biggest motorcycle race on the West Coast, the legendary Catalina Grand Prix is set to make history, again. California motorcycle enthusiast Vinnie Mandzak is totally committed to promoting the 2010 Catalina Island GP, as he has been since receiving authorization to produce "the most unique motorcycle race in 50 years."

"Despite what a few naysayers may have said, there is no question in my mind that this race is happening this December," insists Mandzak. "Our plans are moving forward and I can't wait to watch the first wave of racers roll off the starting line on December 4th!"

By all indications, Mandzak has the cooperation from state and local government agencies, no small feat in itself. He also has the full support of the Catalina Island business community who recognize the event as a prime opportunity to share their little slice of heaven to a global audience of racers and fans. A total of 800 racers are expected to participate over two days of racing.

"We've done our homework and we are managing our event the correct way," says Mandzak. "I am 100% totally committed to 2010 Catalina Island Grand Prix." Race classifications and registration will be made available by mid-September at www.thecatalinagrandprix.com/.
2860670-Harbor_View-Santa_Catalina_Island.jpg

30 races over 2 days in an envious part of the world? Priceless!

Good website and good oldie pics - hope they can deliver and everyone has a great time!

Cheers,

Pikey.

KingBear

Hooligan
Check this out from The Kneeslider. Both videos are Yamaha propaganda, but the second one has some has some cool old footage of the racing. Also from Hell for Leather. Shit, just Google "Catalina Grand Prix" and see how much excitement and nostalgia this event generates!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
26 miles across the sea Santa Catalina is the place to be.

That guy had to be persuasive to get this thing off the ground. I hope it's a success. I've been to Catalina a few times and it's a cool place to visit. Hell, it's a small island!

I read about this several months ago and heard that its pretty much going to be vintage or vintage-styled bikes racing. Heard they weren't going to allow the use modern bikes

KingBear

Hooligan
I guess if they keep it authentic the use of modern road bikes wouldn't work. Apparently two-thirds of the course wasn't paved.

Update: Per the race entry form, "The Catalina Grand Prix is a closed-course event. The approximate 7 mile course will include natural, graded, and paved terrain (80% dirt, 20% paved)."... "there will be no practice and all motorcycles will be impounded, except for the actual race."... Here's the entry form including a list of events. There will be races for various vintage bikes and skill levels.

Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If I were going to be in the area, I would be there. Vintage racing is pretty cool. And I can see it doing well in that venue.

I loved going to the vintage cars races in San Diego at the Murph.