Header Pipes GLOWING!!??

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Agreed with the posters on getting it looked at. It's under warranty. I use the "idle" on my 2010 EFI Thux everytime and have never noticed anything that drastic. If you are still wondering, pick up the phone and call your dealers service dept. It doesnt hurt to ask the ones who will be keeping you in warranty for the next 2 yrs...

KingBear

Hooligan
Okay, I know this is going to sound totally crazy but please do this one thing. It's quick and easy. Go out and check your spark plugs to make sure they are nice and tight. Both of them. This was one of my first posts on another forum after I got my bike almost exactly four years ago...

Picked up my T100 from the dealership a week ago last Saturday. Been riding around in my free time happy as can be, but the bike's performance started to weaken. I also heard a noise that sounded like a gasket or seal was blown. Looked around, saw nothing, rode on but still listening and searching.

Next day the performance was still sucky and the sound got worse, so I looked again last night. What did I find? THE STARBOARD SIDE SPARK PLUG WAS RATTLING AROUND LOOSE IN ITS HOLE! I'd essentially been running on one cylinder.

So to get proper access I removed the seat and tank, tightened the plug down properly, and reassembled. I thought too late to check the other plug, WHICH TURNED OUT TO BE ALMOST AS LOOSE AS THE FIRST!

Both plugs are now properly seated and the bike is running great. The fact that it ran at all is a testament to the quality of the bike itself, but the whole incident speaks very poorly of the attention to assembly and/or dealer prep. (Note to self - ask dealer for refund on $50 prep charge. Yeah, right. As if!)
Thing is I had noticed the exact same thing as you - glowing headers! It's remotely possible that, if your plugs are loose, extra air might be entering the cylinders on intake causing the bike to run hotter.

I'm going back to my padded room now.:playin:

Okay, I know this is going to sound totally crazy but please do this one thing. It's quick and easy. Go out and check your spark plugs to make sure they are nice and tight. Both of them. This was one of my first posts on another forum after I got my bike almost exactly four years ago...

Thing is I had noticed the exact same thing as you - glowing headers! It's remotely possible that, if your plugs are loose, extra air might be entering the cylinders on intake causing the bike to run hotter.

I'm going back to my padded room now.:playin:

if the plugs were loose and air was getting into the cylinders, he wouldn't be making compression and the engine wouldn't run.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
This thread is long enough now to post some pictures of those glowing headers. I've only seen it on 50year old bikes.

phil

Street Tracker
did you ride it with the choke on?? I've got a 2010 bonne s.e. and this never happend? I even use the choke in the a.m.when i leave for work. Today its was -1c . The dealer told me to push it back in was the bike started to climb in rpm, once its starts to warm it self up. And not to ride it with the choke on, because the computer will let more o2 into the exhaust from the higher rpms from the choke and the exhaust will run hotter... that just what I was told. ...

cinemastar07

Scooter
Well, thanks for the posts people.

Phil, no, I never have ridden with the "choke / idle" on...I usually put it in the half position at start - put helmet, gloves, on...push it in and go - she is usually warm by then and fine.

Kingbear -- thanks, I did just check the plugs and they are tight and fine.

Kirkus -- I went outside just now with trusty camera in hand to get some pics, and I am happy to say it did not happen again -- not that I want to try too hard to MAKE it happen again... I am gonna chalk it up to a fluke for now.and keep my eye on it. Maybe adjusting the "Crampbuster" caused some inadvertant high revs at the time (which I realize now I was screwing with a bit at the time) - but still, it was just the DRASTIC brightness of it at the time, that really freaked me - and I would think should not happen ..EVER.

Anyway, we can shut this one down -- but I will surely get pics up if it happens again - and will be on the phone with the dealer. Gonna give them a quick call for the hell of it.

monty

Street Tracker
My headers used to glow cherry red on a frosty morning if I left the bike ticking over on choke.
When I removed the AI kit it stopped.

Monty