Bicycle innertube...

Ben S

Scooter
Anyone ever tried wrapping a bicycle inner tube around the handlebars and then clamping them in the bracket for vibration control?
Just wondering if some has done it and how it worked. I used to have that done on my Beemer and it worked really well.
If this is something I want to try, how can you remove the screw caps on the mount with out marring them? just pop with a screwdriver blade?
Thanks
Ben S

Jimbon

Scooter
Hinkley Bonnevilles have balancing shafts that are used to tune these bikes for enough 'feel' to know the engine's running, so bicycle inner tubes are not required to damp vibration.

If you do need to do this, there is something fundamentally wrong with your motorcycle or someone has sold you an abused 1978 oil in frame T140.

Last edited:

Ben S

Scooter
Vibration woes...

The handlebars have a slight buzz to them, for what ever reason my right thumb gets numb after about 10 miles or so. Left one not at all, have tried shifting positions and that didn't help. I have been meaning to try the roll of pennies trick, but I had good results on the BMW with the innertube. I looked at the bar snakes, but they seem expensive for something that may not work at all.
Ben S

Ben S

Scooter
Would balance da carbs...

ifin I hadum!........2009 EFI.
As for the grips size, perhaps. and as for hanging on too tight, I have installed a Brake Away cruise control just to lessen me having to grip it. Never fear I am much to dumb to stop doing something fun just because it might not be good for me. I will continue to rack up the miles on my bike until I find a solution.
Ben S

austat2

Scooter
when i got my bike i had drag bars put on and i noticed a lot of vibration through the grips i use those cheap foam grips and it seems to have mostly stopped it.Now i`ve done nearly 10000kms on the bike with these bars i decided i don`t like the riding position anymore so i ordered new bars i`ll see if that stops the numbness completely with thicker bars and a more relaxed riding position.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Ben, I guess you have the answer to your original question: aint nobody tried the inner tube thang. Give it a go and let us know how it works out. If it flies, I'll bet a few more will try it as well...

I will continue to rack up the miles on my bike until I find a solution.
Ben S

I had a problem with pain in my right thumb when I first got my Bonnie. The bars are stock. Got a crampbuster, it helped some. I loosened the clamps, readjusted the bars a few time and rode the bike. I've finally found a position for the bars that lets me ride for hours without pain. Try it, it may work for ya.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Since nobody has mentioned it, adding weight works better to quiet vibration than isolating the bar clamp with rubber.
Smaller dia., thinner gage, and shorter handlebars many times require bar ends to deaden vibration. Bar end mirrors help as well and some add longer interior bolts to those mirrors to improve rearward visibility and reduce hand fatigue. Others swear by adding a bar snake to add dampening.
Either approach of adding mass to quiet vibration will add comfort.
HTH.

Ben S

Scooter
I will try..

the weights first, I looked at the clamp and I DO think there is enough room to put some tube stuff there, but I will add some lead weight to the inside end caps just to see if there is a difference.
Thanks for all the ideas guys we shall see!
Ben S